Β 

Eye candy - Derby NMRA-BR convention

Today I headed down to the Derby NMRA convention. Unfortunately it seems like - despite being billed as a 3 day show - some of the traders/exhibitors were packing up when I got there - LSWR models had already left first thing in the morning, apparently! :(

Β 

Ah well, I still managed to get some photos of some of the great layouts that were there.

Β 

I've uploaded them to a public Facebook album, which you can view here:

Β 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153690560253430.1073741832.539008429&type=1&l=416275ff77

Unfortunately it seems that no matter what they do on the Sunday, they can't seem to make a full day of it. Bit of a shame really as it was a good event, although I'm sure some of the traders might have been blaming that massive estate sale for a downturn in their revenues for the weekend (not that I managed to find anything suitable).

• RMweb Gold

I get the impression the US traders are a bit downbeat - I had a long conversation with one about why I had diversified back into British after a long period of US HO modelling - basically I still like making things and getting a lot of the US parts (and paints) is becoming expensive and difficult for traders and modellers alike. P&H have stopped doing the Grandt LIne parts and were selling off their Stripwood - theyΒ  won't be getting any more.

Β 

I recent ordered some small Barmills craftsman Kits from the US with a low value and paid over Β£12 in handling and tax...the low numbers in runs of particular models is also a factor - I do still have a B&M GP7 on order from Model Junction for some time next year but I do normally like to see before I buy.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

We have attended the convention a number of times with a layout. Sunday has always been a much quieter and shorter day and normally things wind down after lunch so bear in mind that its not really an exhibition as such.

Β 

On the Saturday which is the usual day that day trippers visit, some layouts have operated well into the evening.

Β 

We haven't been for a number of years due to clashes with other shows we have been exhibiting at. However it looks like we will be at next years do.

Unfortunately it seems that no matter what they do on the Sunday, they can't seem to make a full day of it. Bit of a shame really, as it was a good event, although im sure some of the traders might have been blaming that massive estate sale for a downturn in their revenues for the weekend (not that I managed to find anything suitable).

What was the estate sale and how do you get to hear about them?

What was the estate sale and how do you get to hear about them?

It was basically the very large modern HO collection of a member who had recently passed away, being priced to sell at very generic prices and there was a lot of it- about 30' of tables piled high and stacked underneath. Something for everyone and a bit daunting to look through, which is probably why I never found the extra UPFE Reefers I was looking for.

Β 

I'm not sure what happened to the unsold stuff, if I find out I'll let you know...

On the Saturday which is the usual day that day trippers visit, some layouts have operated well into the evening.

Β 

Yes, last year at Bournemouth, we were running trains after the banquet!

I think it was the early hours of Sunday morning before we stopped.......

• RMweb Premium

Having been involved in running one in 2007, the Sunday does tend to finish at lunchtime, I was one of the last three out of the layout room on the Saturday that year at about 1am.

Β 

Members were playing trains late into the night on both Friday and Saturday nights this year.

Β 

Next year will be at Meriden.

Archived