Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Evening Star green Cylinders

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the link. I'm really not sure about the provenance of that picture. It comes after shots at Bath but that doesn't by itself show that the photo was taken during BR service. Evening Star is just too clean for it to be believable. Even the headlamps are spotless.

I guess I may be kidding myself, but I reckon that in the vast majority of photos I can tell more-or-less instantly whether a loco is in preservation or in BR service. There must be a host of subliminal clues but the main thing is the look of the paint finish. Preserved locos tend to have a high gloss that looks almost enamelled. BR locos even when well cleaned usually have a more restrained sheen and the paint looks as if it is a thinner layer, and that what is underneath is unmistakably metal.

And by those criteria I would not doubt that 92220 is here in BR service.

• RMweb Premium

Obviously the green cylindered Evening Star is the one that went into the Strategic Steam Reserve and is currently quietly snoozing under a Welsh mountain whilst the black cylindered imposter takes her place in the national collection.

Is that along with the 80 GWR Granges?

I suppose they did paint both cylinders the same did they?  You cannot normally see both at the same time.  Maybe the painter decided it would look better with green cylinders.  Swindon painted their locos in the A shop during repairs rather than having them stand idle in a paint shop like those LNWR types. 

Archived