Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

Nope! The Leyland Titan is on Route 101 to North Woolwich. I must have been psychic when I bought it a couple of years ago. The London Country 405 to Crawley that also used to live on the Croydon North Street bridge might be a bit lost though.

post-17811-0-26873600-1457860348.jpg

• Like 6

AFAIK, the football park is still extant. Not so sure about the bus garage.

Not been back to the Park for many years so not sure about the bus garage, I know that Hackney Garage went many years ago :sadclear: - I think that Hackney Wick is still there, but that was only a Parking area not a garage as such.

Some great Bus Garage Kits etc here by the way -  www.kingswaymodels.com     No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

Some great Bus Garage Kits etc here by the way -  www.kingswaymodels.com     No connection, just a satisfied customer.

No room, Bob. There will be two buses on the bridge (just one would get lonely) and one or two (or maybe a coach) on the little bit of high street if the extension board gets built. I'm not a fan of fiddly little jobs like changing the destinations on a 1/76 bus, so will need to look out for something of the period that can keep the 101 to North Woolwich company. Britbus and EFE are probably the best choices, detail v. price, aren't they? I'll have a browse through Hattons site for starters.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a bus collector so cannot comment knowledgably, but I suspect so.

A website called Londonbuses.co.uk gives a history of every route since before you were born, Pete. Might help if you needed confirmation.

Thanks Ian, that's useful.

A quick search of Hattons website threw these up as possibilities...

post-17811-0-91619200-1457865174.jpg

post-17811-0-00394100-1457865181.jpg

Edit: The J reg Scania is a little late, but the E reg Hoppa is bang-on for period. Nice looking models, though, and both on Hattons "Bargains" list which pleases my wallet.

Edit Edit: Apologies for the bus diversion. I get easily sidetracked...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 6

AFAIK, the football park is still extant. Not so sure about the bus garage.

The garage closed in 2011, buses and routes being absorbed by the other Stagecoach garages in the area. I think the 101 went to initially to West Ham and ended up at Barking. Interestingly, Upton Park operated ex-London Country RMC's on the X15 between Beckton and Aldwych via Limehouse in the time period of the layout, so a fair few options for bus variety!

I used to ride the 101 to Nth Woolwich for a ride over the river on the ferry didn't like the tunnel the buses I rode were RT RTL or occassionly an RTW also you could go back a different way on a trolleybus happy days all on a Red Rover.

• Like 3

Buy the MCW Metrorider!

Hattons are now short of one each of the MCW and the Scania. The Metrorider in particular looks like a lovely model of an unloved subject. There is no way I would have paid the normal price of nearly £60 for the pair but a tenner each appeals to my tight genes. Not to be confused with my tight jeans which is another throwback to the 80s...

Work continues on the bit of track between the platform ends and the road bridge. I keep wanting to add loads of lineside clutter but that really needs to wait until further on in the build. If I can get the basic ground cover done, the road bridge will be next on the "to do" list. I don't have enough Wills sheets of the same brick bond, so a trip to see Dave in Cromer is called for. If I "mix and match" brick bonds, it will hardly (if at all) be noticeable, but I'll know. Might as well do it right. Looking forward to getting the bridge done and the backscene back on and seeing what it all looks like. Hope to upload some pics soon, but everything's an almighty mess at the moment.

• Like 4

Speaking of buses, a little package arrived from Hattons yesterday afternoon so I thought I'd dust off the two double-deckers from North Street and have a little line-up. I now have more buses than trains. Time to stop, I think... four is ample. Well, 3 actually, as the London Country 405 is so out of place for East London. The little MCW is cute, though!

post-17811-0-05537800-1458116390.jpg

post-17811-0-22978300-1458116391.jpg

• Like 11

I did pop in to see Dave in Cromer yesterday but having ordered those buses from Hattons, how many do I need??? Could get expensive... Picked up some Wills sheets and came home with an unexpected impulse buy. One of those basic little Gaugemaster/Noch puffer bottles and some static grasses. I have admittedly avoided static grass like the proverbial plague in the past but thought it might be fun to have a play with something new. There's no way I'm going to commit to one of those fancy electro-thingies just yet. The 2.5mm meadow fibres that come with the Gaugemaster bottle kit are a bit too rural and pretty for me, but a bag of 6mm Noch fibres looked a bit more weed/scrub-like and this was the result. I'm very conscious of the fact that I could easily overdo it and ruin the urban effect. I'll go cautiously I think. If it all goes pear-shaped, I can scrape it up and start again.

attachicon.gifwp_127.jpg

attachicon.gifwp_128.jpg

I think that you have the balance of greenery about right.

If you think about the subject, the railway environment is quite harsh for many plants, even hardy types used to growing in poor quality soil/rocks. Ballast is by nature very free draining and will get hot when the sun shines, and so would not be host to much more than very low growing greenery.

This photo of Crewe depot shows that from a distance, the only real growth around the tracks seems to be a moss-like plant, with the taller and more lush growth away from the tracks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/8121486647

• Like 2

Hi Pete,

I haven't dropped by for a while, sorry to see the 3rd rail go but  the new location sounds good. The ballasting and greenery look pretty good to me, it's always something you need to get the balance right with and it's something I have had trouble with over the years.

Cheers Peter.

I think that you have the balance of greenery about right.

This photo of Crewe depot shows that from a distance, the only real growth around the tracks seems to be a moss-like plant, with the taller and more lush growth away from the tracks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/8121486647

That's one of those excellent "inspirational" shots. The low growth near to the tracks bears an uncanny resemblance to Woodland Scenics fine turf blends "earth" and "burnt grass" which I use stupid amounts of, probably too much. A reminder that sometimes fine scatters are ample and tall static grasses should be used sparingly.

I haven't dropped by for a while, sorry to see the 3rd rail go but  the new location sounds good.

Thanks. If I thought I could get away with it, the 3rd rail might make a stealthy appearance in Platform 1. The Bachmann banner ad on RMWeb for the new 2HAP doesn't help and is mocking me as I type this. I still think the Bachmann 2EPB is one of the finest lumps of RTR plastic and metal ever made. It is a hard habit to break! I'm slightly out of my comfort zone with this whole East London thing, but a change is as good as a rest, and as I read up on prototype locations, it's all fascinating stuff.

• Like 1

You should have popped over here I'd have made you a static Grasser. If you want one I've got some spare bits?

I did remember you offered a spot of tuition with the grasser a while back! Might take you up on that Russ, Probably better I crack on with stuff like the road bridge before I come over all green and rural. No rush, but thanks for the offer... I'll drop you a PM when the greenery bug bites.