Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Pete I like it all except the post and rail. It just doesn't fit in the urban environment mate. Try some steel palisade or chain link if you want a change from brick. There are reasonably priced laser cut versions of both on ebay or knowing you you could make some.

There's something alluring about a 31 with a white stripe...

That looks good Rob. You're right, the white stripe certainly adds interest. I am tempted by a full-fat 31 but nervous about the chassis issues. Is yours ok?

Pete I like it all except the post and rail.

Have to agree with that Colin. I think darkening the rod as Jonny suggested might help but I still just don't think it's right. I'll take a look at all the other options available and may go for palisade with the spikey top. It's not a big deal to replace a little bit of fence.

That looks good Rob. You're right, the white stripe certainly adds interest. I am tempted by a full-fat 31 but nervous about the chassis issues. Is yours ok?

Have to agree with that Colin. I think darkening the rod as Jonny suggested might help but I still just don't think it's right. I'll take a look at all the other options available and may go for palisade with the spikey top. It's not a big deal to replace a little bit of fence.

Langley do some nice spikey fencing - http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/LM-F124.JPG

Pete on the subject of "spiky fencing" I have always used the ratio spear fencing code 434  (The same as you used on the car park with North Street) The issue with this fence is the spikes on top just seem to fall off over time? I am in the process of changing them over on North Street now.

To be fair the location of your fencing may be safer than on North Street, at the front, but thought it may be worth noting!

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

• Like 1

For a minute I thought I was looking at North Street.

That's not good!!! I am trying to make Limehouse look different and not just a copy. I think I need to try harder!

Pete on the subject of "spiky fencing" I have always used the ratio spear fencing code 434  (The same as you used on the car park with North Street) The issue with this fence is the spikes on top just seem to fall off over time? I am in the process of changing them over on North Street now.

I do like that spear fencing, Darren. You still see loads of it around today. You're right though... you just need to look at the Ratio fencing and the spears fall off. I had one tiny length of the car park fencing left over from North Street. Waste not, want not (see below).

post-17811-0-12070700-1460280322.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Andy. That's very flattering, but I get to see all the bits that go wrong and end up in the bin. You don't! I always think there's room for improvement though. I think that's the bonus of building small(ish) layout after layout after layout. Eventually I'll get it right. Those that commit to the one big "layout of a lifetime" in a loft or a cellar only really have one chance.

I've ordered some of the Knightwing palisade. You normally get 24 inches in a pack but I got a double pack for just a bit more green stuff. 48 inches of it should be ample for the whole layout. I'll pop down to the local ironmongers tomorrow (who have the most annoying radio ad spoken and sung entirely in "Norfolk" dialect) and see if there's any silver craft spray paint. I'll go insane having to paint that lot with a brush. In the meantime, I'll make a start on the road bridge surface and pavement and get the fencing swapped over as soon as it arrives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They did have some ,back rh corner of shop!

Do you ever go to Wells? There is a cheap shop there that sells aerosol cans called this and that. He didn't have any the other week but sometimes has decent sized cans of clear Matt varnish for £1.50. It's as good as humberol but a quarter of the price for more!

For silver paint I use steel wheel silver from fastlane

• RMweb Premium

I always reckon that part of modelling is chucking stuff away as it's one way of learning. Build something, it looks wrong so try again. Does anyone get it right first time?

In my spares box I have lost ads of first attempts from both Bacup and The Mill, all of which I spent a fair bit of time on before deciding they weren't right, so started again. At least it's usually quicker second time.

• Like 1

Do you ever go to Wells?

Went to Wells once on a bank holiday. Couldn't find anywhere to park and nearly reversed the car off the quayside into the harbour. To top it all a bloody seagull flew off with my battered sausage... made me jump and then I dropped the rest of my chips. Haven't been back since.

:mad:

Edit: Hadn't thought of the car parts shop for silver paint. Thanks, Russ.

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Went to Wells once on a bank holiday. Couldn't find anywhere to park and nearly reversed the car off the quayside into the harbour. To top it all a bloody seagull flew off with my battered sausage... made me jump and then I dropped the rest of my chips. Haven't been back since.

:mad:

Edit: Hadn't thought of the car parts shop for silver paint. Thanks, Russ.

Been an number of times to Wells next the sea and never been able to park. At least the railway is a bit out of town and we were able to park to ride it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The car shop mixed me a big can of track grime, I have it somewhere if you want the code we used.

We always go to Wells never seem to have bother parking but ,we don't normally go on bank holidays

Let me guess the iron monger with the annoying ad: is it.Darrel Else "OI've got that!"?

"Blyth & Wright, boy... Blyth & Wright!" </end Norfolk accent>

post-17811-0-61612500-1460377109.jpg

• Like 3

Non-gangwayed Mk1 stock was finally withdrawn with the GN electrification scheme in 1976-7 . Think that's a bit early for you.

I think the Stationmaster mentioned in another thread some time ago that the white bodyside stripe on 31s was a WR recognition measure for a subtype in the late 70s

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Non-gangwayed Mk1 stock was finally withdrawn with the GN electrification scheme in 1976-7 . Think that's a bit early for you.

I think the Stationmaster mentioned in another thread some time ago that the white bodyside stripe on 31s was a WR recognition measure for a subtype in the late 70s

Yes - the stripe on the Old Oak Class 31s indicated they were ETH fitted.  However it was not white but pale coaching stock grey.

Yes - the stripe on the Old Oak Class 31s indicated they were ETH fitted.  However it was not white but pale coaching stock grey.

I agree, grey at first, but in May 1982 the stripe was clearly white, though I think this one is an FP (Eastern Region) based loco:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/8477-york-31-05-824jpg/

• Like 1