Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

I'm not very good with stuff like that. The only things that tend to move or light up on my layouts are the trains! When I started to build North Street, I found some very realistic working LED streetlights so spent an age fitting them all and running the wires. They were designed to run off a 3V supply. I didn't have a 3V supply, but I did have a 3.6V supply. "That'll be fine" I thought. On flicking the switch, they all glowed nicely but only for a split second. I still remember the little puff of white smoke rising from every single streetlight.

I once did a similar thing with a control panel with route setting LED's - accidently crossed a 36v CDU output with the 12v DC supply for the 12v LEDs ... tried the first point and BANG.

The air was blue, with smoke and words.

Currently adding pavements and road markings to the road that crosses the line at the scenic break. Yes, there will be a bus stop, but not actually on the bridge, just before it. Having stated that I don't "do" working lights... it just doesn't appeal to me to dim the room lights and pretend it's 3am in Limehouse... I have made one concession. There will be a zebra crossing and as the belisha beacons flash night and day, they may have to work. I think they'd look more daft if they didn't.

As a nod to Keith and Ronnie who seem to have a toilet fixation, I'll need to find room for a 1980s Superloo somewhere... :P

post-17811-0-32805600-1460636432.jpg

• Like 3

Too add to the flashing beacons what about the Loo door opening on a surprised occupant. Sorry more toilet humor. However the plans for a under-construction factory/office building look good.

Keith HC

• Like 1

Too add to the flashing beacons what about the Loo door opening on a surprised occupant. Sorry more toilet humor. However the plans for a under-construction factory/office building look good.

Keith HC

I thought exactly the same, but as my interweb connection has been up and down more often than a wh@re's drawers, I was unable to post it when I first saw the 'superloo' pic :)

• Like 2

:offtopic:

Found out why mi interweb was a bit unreliable yesterday - a confetti of blue and yellow wire strippings at the local BT joint box. Why don't the technicians clean up after themselves?

My net connection was really slow about 6 months ago. It was like being back in the dark ages of dial-up. All those naughty cheerleader pictures were taking an age to download. I gave BT a ring and they said they'd look into it. The very next day, they planted a new pole right outside the top floor railway room's window and upgraded all 8 or so connections from it. I have a sneaky feeling that must have been a coincidental planned upgrade and not the result of my telephone call! Impressive, though. Particularly the lorry that planted the pole... I'd never seen one of those before.

post-17811-0-88549900-1460707157.jpg

Yes, I'm sad enough to have nipped upstairs and taken a picture of the pole...

• Like 5

My net connection was really slow about 6 months ago. It was like being back in the dark ages of dial-up. All those naughty cheerleader pictures were taking an age to download. I gave BT a ring and they said they'd look into it. The very next day, they planted a new pole right outside the top floor railway room's window and upgraded all 8 or so connections from it. I have a sneaky feeling that must have been a coincidental planned upgrade and not the result of my telephone call! Impressive, though. Particularly the lorry that planted the pole... I'd never seen one of those before.

attachicon.gifpole.jpg

Yes, I'm sad enough to have nipped upstairs and taken a picture of the pole...

Don't worry Pete, there's lot in every Town now. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

• Like 2

Meanwhile, somewhere in East London...

Weathering and marking the road turned out fairly well. Still have a few more yellow lines to do and need to add the belisha beacons, but you get the idea...

attachicon.gifwp_163.jpg

attachicon.gifwp_164.jpg

Edit: Playing around in Paint Shop Pro, I've been knocking up a road sign or two appropriate for the area. Not sure which I'll use yet, but one shown below.

attachicon.gifImage1.jpg

Will you have John, Paul George and Ringo striding across? hahhahhaha.

Pete,

Really like the road treatment, but.....

Were bus stops marked out like that in your time frame, iirc the contrasting tarmac and yellow lettering is a fairly new innovation, would it be just white on black?

This pic:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/resources/images/3473727/

is stated to be Chingford in the 80's, but it is the guardian.....

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

Pete,

Really like the road treatment, but.....

Were bus stops marked out like that in your time frame, iirc the contrasting tarmac and yellow lettering is a fairly new innovation, would it be just white on black?

Probably not? Definitely not circa 1987 but I did find reference to them in a Highways Agency document dated 1999 so I guess they've been around 20 years or so (just maybe not as prevalent as today). I'm not about to start running trains around in hideous vinyl graphic privatised liveries so there's no chance of the layout ever pretending to be set in the 21st Century, but it's always nice to backdate or stretch things a little "time-wise". You know me. A little colour in a world of grey!

• Like 3

Are you doing 70s now?

June 4th, 1984, about ten past two.

:dontknow:

Everything but steam and plastic multiple units, mate. Pick a date.

• Like 3

June 4th, 1984, about ten past two.

:dontknow:

Everything but steam and plastic multiple units, mate. Pick a date.

Better not look at your former layout ;)

Looks fantastic Pete, you've practically built a layout in the time its taken me to half finish one you half built in the first place! I love the road, very good.

Simon

• Like 4

The photograph is of South Chingford looking towards Chingford Mount this was my Saturday morning haunt in the fifties sixties ,the trolleybuses used to terminate here outside the cinema ,and the newspaper is the Walthamstow Gardiuan Nice to a photo of yesterday  pity you cant put trolleybuses on the layout.

The photograph is of South Chingford looking towards Chingford Mount this was my Saturday morning haunt in the fifties sixties ,the trolleybuses used to terminate here outside the cinema ,and the newspaper is the Walthamstow Gardiuan Nice to a photo of yesterday  pity you cant put trolleybuses on the layout.

Did someone mention trolleybuses?

post-4474-0-34830400-1460724915_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, going way O/T)

• Like 10

Now that's what I call a bus quiet,fast, high quality accommodation worst decision ever to get rid of them in London used to prefer a trip on a trolley to anything else. you really should put a trolley route on the layout only have to put up a few wires?

• Like 1

What I love about that trolleybus photo (apart from the vehicle itself) are the signs of those more-sociable-society times.

Prams seemingly unattended outside shops, pushbikes stood on kerbs, very little road traffic, and virtually no road signs/markings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What I love about that trolleybus photo (apart from the vehicle itself) are the signs of those more-sociable-society times.

Prams seemingly unattended outside shops, pushbikes stood on kerbs, very little road traffic, and virtually no road signs/marking

There's still a Tesco's though.

There's still a Tesco's though.

That is how they started :)

The photo is great :)

The road markings look good, if perhaps to my eye a bit too modern, but without reference I can't say that for sure as such things can be difficult to work out without references to hand I find.

• Like 1