Covered Carriage Conundrum #889017

Shedmaster

Dear All,

Please could anybody help me identify what type of vehicle this is ?

I would like to create a model in 4mm scale and although I don't expect one in RTR any time soon, I am hoping to at least identify a similar donor to start with.

Formerly resident at Battersea Stewarts Lane, London, it would appear to be a CCT or PMV type van, but it has the sides and ends of a CCT and the under frame of a PMV ?

The axle boxes are even stranger to me although I'm no expert in this area so happy to be educated...

Here are some pics to help....

post-7088-0-82856500-1446156681.jpg

post-7088-0-49071600-1446156985.jpg

post-7088-0-36657200-1446157006.jpg

post-7088-0-74903000-1446157022.jpg

post-7088-0-68253800-1446157044.jpg

post-7088-0-24533400-1446157063.jpg

post-7088-0-02626300-1446157089.jpg

post-7088-0-98651300-1446157116.jpg

Many Thanks for any help you can offer, good luck !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi,

Why has the number 990171 been painted over?

Regards

Vin

Because when the continent introduced a universal numbering scheme these wagons were renumbered for the continent. Later they were deregistered for continental traffic so returned to having their original BR number. They were similar to the single prototype BR CCT although the windows were soon plated over. The fittings - axleguards, buffers, couplings etc were to European standards. Air and vacuum brakes.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferrymotorcarvan

Paul

Hi,

Many Thanks for your detailed and really helpful replies on this one.

I thought it was a bit of a cross breed but am encouraged that in theory, it's only the foreign spec axle boxes that I need to get hold of for this, as the rest can be cut and shut from Bachmann CCT and PMV models, albeit a fairly expensive way to go about it ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Hi,

Many Thanks for your detailed and really helpful replies on this one.

I thought it was a bit of a cross breed but am encouraged that in theory, it's only the foreign spec axle boxes that I need to get hold of for this, as the rest can be cut and shut from Bachmann CCT and PMV models, albeit a fairly expensive way to go about it ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I don't think you need to use the PMV model; the trussing could be done from brass or plastic section. The axle-bearings would be a pain- perhaps using something like a plastic knitting needle of the correct diameter, rounding off the end by rubbing against emery paper, slicing off and repeating, until you've got four presentable specimens? Alternatively, you could always see if any had been fitted with 'normal' roller bearings.(just thought;I wonder if Appleby Model Engineering has done them? He certainly did some SNCF springs and bearings)

A few of these vans, painted in Olive Green, lasted at Dover Town Yard until the train-ferry finished- I believe they were used to convey spares for BR vehicles that had been red-carded abroad. Others were used as barriers on chemical traffic, such as the Anhydrous Ammonia trains between Leith and Teesside.

Cambridge Custom Transfers may do the appropriate transfers for the early livery; I'm sure John has done either one of these, or the bogie equivalent, on RMWeb in the last year or so.

Circa 1990- they were used on trains of rod and coil from ASW via Cardiff Tidal, for the return carriage of 'dunnage' and wagon sheets removed from the wagons at destination.

Brian R

Were these 'continental' sheets and packing, Brian? If so, that might have been what the ones at Dover were used for- have to ask Big Bee Line on here, as that was his patch at the time.

Archived