'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening Guys.....

Hope you're all well? 

Apologies in advance if I am driving you 'up the wall' (no pun intended) with these updates on the progress of the wall around the coal yard sidings, but have had about 45 mins this evening putting in place the section closer to the station, have intentionally 'lowered' the height from 12' to 8' for the next section, firstly to provide a little contrast also perhaps some 'perspective' in the middle distance....? Either way I am happy with it so far...hope you believe so too so far....?

I have 'turned' the corner initially into the station.....albeit temporary.... will update as progress is made.....

104_4527.JPG.2489e247bedb2d713bb368f1589be5f0.JPG 104_4536.JPG.e37ed66d9f49562ceb3d37245977a1bd.JPG 104_4538.JPG.5327145ecbac76a4a9f6d40030efc40c.JPG 104_4539.JPG.5e20917e5c2fd24158b41e93285d720f.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening Guys...

Hope all's well...?

Update for this evening centres on giving the 'white' filler that forms the base of the scenic wall a wash of colour  (an old sleeper grime bottle that had a few dregs of paint remaining within it) to take off this starkness and blend into the existing ballast, a top base of colour prior to reballasting the base of the wall once more.....the wall itself has also been given a wash of the same colour....the next task I am contemplating is to wash over white (artex) sky to take off the 'whiteout effect'......

104_4567.JPG.13b937c342b74f3c18da772ef0336a65.JPG 104_4589.JPG.91c867fd780f66a32c0469d80059eb56.JPG 104_4571.JPG.b7ee176fd9816e40770067c9b06cbb6b.JPG 104_4560.JPG.3a94eab99668360ecb2e9af7e2ad7a16.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 5

Evening Guys......

A question for you concerning the backdrop...does this work...?

Whilst I was looking 'for something completely different' I came across a Peco town background scape and have cut this down to fit the backboard to provide sky and an indication of buildings in the near distance....what do you think?

Only lightly fixed so can be  removed easily.... unsure myself of the perspectives, or I may be just being too 'picky'...?

Originally intended to just have a blue sky, white light cloud and tree scape,,,?

104_4639.JPG.644e5adfed6729c2dd64ed6305c5f87a.JPG  104_4634.JPG.e6b36f81feba50660c9f1819882c6f76.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I agree with you, Bob. The vanishing point is too low to my eye and it would be better if it were taller to hide more of the room outside the model.

It's the right kind of scene to associate with your brick walls, though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers for the kind comments guys.....

I am sure I will go with something along these lines  ... however, it is indeed the perspective that is 'troubling me', this entirely from an artistic viewpoint, therefore I am 'fiddling' with overall concept and with that in mind I am cutting up a back scene to see whether I can create views which are a little more 'distant' perhaps, (or  in 'profile' perspective with terraced houses) to improve the perspective as my backboards do have to be rather 'shallow'......

Working on the principle that any modelling is done in stages and from the 'ground upwards'..... I have removed scene whilst I do other work and return to it with a fresh eye....

Have a great (if soggy) weekend...!

Regards always..

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok Bob. What you could do is replace the whole thing with a much deeper board with only sky on it. Then mount the buildings on a bit of mount board a couple of mils thick then cut out all the buildings and colour all the edges the same colour as the buildings and fit that to the sky board. You could also fit hills to the sky board first giving the whole thing a bit of depth. It's been done many times and there are examples in the modeling press. Some of them published this year in either the Modeler or Hornby mags, they are the two I get and I've read articles about this method this year.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Ok Bob. What you could do is replace the whole thing with a much deeper board with only sky on it. Then mount the buildings on a bit of mount board a couple of mils thick then cut out all the buildings and colour all the edges the same colour as the buildings and fit that to the sky board. You could also fit hills to the sky board first giving the whole thing a bit of depth. It's been done many times and there are examples in the modeling press. Some of them published this year in either the Modeler or Hornby mags, they are the two I get and I've read articles about this method this year.

Regards Lez.  

Thanks Lez,

I'm going to 'keep my powder dry' on this one...perhaps keeping it simple may be the answer...but we'll see.....even if it's just an indication of a few trees poking above the wall may do the business....?

Thanks and regards as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hello Guys.......

Having given the wall an undercoat of base grey to take off the 'redness' of the plastic brickwork..... using bluetac for now, have placed the trimmed and amended peco backscene into place to see whether the 'perspective' had improved..... I will leave my conclusions to myself until have heard your comments...?

All I will say is that, when compared to  previous attempt the perspective I believe has been improved with the modifications made but at this stage I remain undecided if it's enough and how to proceed,  as said before, may well just have sky and trees above the wall,,?

104_4666.JPG.7cb5aad8b4af226259696d6916930b9d.JPG 

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi...

Putting aside the 'ruminations' I am having regarding the backscene......attention this evening focused on the coal yard, beginning to add further ground colour to the base of the wall, which has been given an undercoat of grey, will post when I begin painting the mortar and brick effect.....

104_4680.JPG.8e194d4477dc59aecd13ac80a57df64e.JPG

Regards always guys...

Bob

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/09/2019 at 22:01, BobM said:

Hello Guys.......

Having given the wall an undercoat of base grey to take off the 'redness' of the plastic brickwork..... using bluetac for now, have placed the trimmed and amended peco backscene into place to see whether the 'perspective' had improved..... I will leave my conclusions to myself until have heard your comments...?

All I will say is that, when compared to  previous attempt the perspective I believe has been improved with the modifications made but at this stage I remain undecided if it's enough and how to proceed,  as said before, may well just have sky and trees above the wall,,?

104_4666.JPG.7cb5aad8b4af226259696d6916930b9d.JPG 

Regards always.....

Bob

I think that's an improvement. Can you go higher? Just to see what it looks like?

5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I think that's an improvement. Can you go higher? Just to see what it looks like?

Hi Phil....

It is feasible perhaps to 'bolt on' another piece on top to make the backscene deeper.....will investigate, have a go and let you all know...!

Regards always....

Bob

Morning (yes, it is just now morning at time of posting)......

Before turning in have quickly looked at a way whether I can extend the backscene boards easily if required...and yes I think I can thus, doubling the height as here,,,,,so will keep that option on the 'backburner'....

104_4716.JPG.82cbff2ff60ab84ce73540683caac34a.JPG

However I have cut up the only two backscenes I had available so  cannot say immediately whether increasing the depth of the back screen improves the perceived perspective to any extent when using the Peco  town scenes

I have however used here a cut section of cottages that are 'profile view' close in and attached to the existing depth of board....this flat view removes all hint of perspective....... and previous incorrect vanishing points perhaps?

104_4706.JPG.6bb5aa0c6b3ee62b14d38be79f817ebb.JPG

Comments on the latter appreciate as always.....

Had to post this now as late as it is, otherwise this would keep me awake!

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening Guys....Wet enough.....!

Sorry there wasn't an update last evening.....I did have plans to begin to lay bare my first attempts at painting up blue brickwork on this section of wall....

So with the oven just heating up for my tea, the veg cut up to roast and planning the steps after consuming said meal....then......suddenly plunged into darkness as the heavy rain had entered the local substation and Kaboom, electricity and water not good bedfellows..... so nothing else to do but heat up a pan of water on the gas ring and comforted myself with a black coffee and a pack of Jammie dodgers, waiting for the power to be restored...!

Then that neighbourly spirit shone through as a tap at the door brought an invite from next door to share their evening meal as the power went off just as they were plating up...so armed with a bottle of red as a thank you, the evening spent not on the layout but with real good friends...how about that then eh!

So with last evening meal now in the oven and despite continued heavy rain we have power.....I will hopefully have a look at the blue bricks tonight...?

104_4693.JPG.65a7d2e8c72fd2862707d72f2ea1079e.JPG

Cheers guys...regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob. I would go with 3 shades of blue mate start by painting a few random bricks with the darkest shade, this can be black or very dark grey, then proportionally more with the medium one then dry brush the lightest one over the top of the whole lot how are you doing the mortar courses? Also are the walls fixed already or can you do it all on the flat and then stick them up? I've talked you through walls before mate it should be a breeze for you this time.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Bob. I would go with 3 shades of blue mate start by painting a few random bricks with the darkest shade, this can be black or very dark grey, then proportionally more with the medium one then dry brush the lightest one over the top of the whole lot how are you doing the mortar courses? Also are the walls fixed already or can you do it all on the flat and then stick them up? I've talked you through walls before mate it should be a breeze for you this time.

Regards Lez.

Hi.....

Well here goes for a blue engineering brick effect wall...how it'll turn out only time will tell, but yep you provide sound advice on the granite sets, so have a good grounding.....

They are fixed so will have to paint in situ  - so far have used was Revel matt 77 (dust grey), then this evening for the mortar I have used Revel matt 76 (light grey) which was painted on to the surface and then rubbed off to leave the residue as the mortar colour hopefully.....intend to locate a suitable engineering blue brick colour (blue matt)  as an over wash then pick out the bricks and weather the face, white streaks associated with blue brick walls...?

The base colour Matt 77

104_4680.JPG.aa817091c2e5b7c98732fda74f42a060.JPG

painted and rubbed off Matt 76

104_4719.JPG.d0b26a3e13fec58905a9872d5f7af055.JPG

as it looks now

104_4722.JPG.aaad39078af0a1f7a03e266cb4c176c7.JPG

Will let you know how this progresses....

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2

Evening my dear friends.....

No further work on the layout this evening but posting these images of a developing theme for the station buildings....in respect of which I have acquired and taken delivery of a collection of Bachmann resin Highley items. comprising the station house, the booking office / waiting room and toilets.....

I must stress that this not going to be a representation of Highley at all, but used as a basis for development, the intention to have platform canopies and further waiting rooms on the remaining platforms too....along with lamps and related furniture...

Ideas and comments always appreciated....

104_4739.JPG.ac87a03421af97895ccd76baebc35050.JPG  104_4740.JPG.bf2819feffda3ee5552f6c1e71a31583.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5