RMweb

Baseboard suitable?

LlandudnoJunction

The problem will be, as you can see if you pick it up, it will flex in its present condition, so anything attached to the surface will move differently to the board, such as scenery or buildings. Although it will make the board even heavier a support of timber bearers and cross bracing will take the flex out of the board, it also lets you run wiring below the boards and use point motors and the like.

I know it's not very helpful but starting with 18mm ply is probably a bit on the thick side, 12mm would be better, but sometimes you are where you are. If it's going to develop into a sceniced layout you could cut lumps out of the board in areas where there is only scenery and add back lighter landscaping such as polystrene sheet. If it's not going to moved about much, I would brace it up with relatively cheap CLS studding that's about 63 x 38, if you need to handle it more think about the lightweight ply sandwich beams that are used for bracing.

Keep us all up to date with progress!

Peter

Hopefully your 10x2.5 bit of ply is intended to be a permanent baseboard? If so it will need supporting with framing as others have said and legs ideally near the ends and in the middle. If you ever want to move it I'd suggest cutting it in half.

Your baseboard needs to be right in the first place or you will never have a reliable railway. Ask me how I know!

Ed

It looks awfully heavy. I wonder how it will take track pins?  Personally I would have used something a lot thinner on a more substantial frame probably 2" X 1"  but I would have pre drilled the cross pieces for the electrical wiring before assembling it.   The carpentry looks good but I like to have an edge on the baseboard of around 12mm or so to stop stock falling off so I use a 3" or so strip of hardboard as edging. which hides all that good (or in my case bad) workmanship.

It looks awfully heavy. I wonder how it will take track pins?  Personally I would have used something a lot thinner on a more substantial frame probably 2" X 1"  but I would have pre drilled the cross pieces for the electrical wiring before assembling it.   The carpentry looks good but I like to have an edge on the baseboard of around 12mm or so to stop stock falling off so I use a 3" or so strip of hardboard as edging. which hides all that good (or in my case bad) workmanship.

I built the bookshelves it rests on at one end, and the wall bracket that holds the other, and nothing has collapsed yet!

Track pins? What are they? Some sort of primitive substitute for PVA?

A lot thinner costs money. An old wardrobe found in a shed is free!

I'll put edges on later cut to the contours of the scenery.

;)

Archived