Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Getting sidetracked

After spending some time on this forum, I notice I am not unique in getting sidetracked.

I have lost count of the times I have started a single project only to find part way through something else grabs my attention and gets started.

May explain the dozen or so unfinished projects I have on the bench.

One day I may get more finished than I do, at least I feel there are others here with the same infliction :)

On my workbench:

• Two signal boxes for EM M&CR layout
  • Two cattle wagons for EM Bishops castle Rly layout
  • A fire fighting tank car for HO US logging layout
  • Heller Potez 540 and Airfix SR53 (1/72 aircraft) 
  • A semi-scratchbuilt Dragon Mk III (1/35 1930s artillery tractor)

On my workbench.

1: brass kit for a CIE 30 ton brake van (1970's)

2: resin kit for a CIE Bullied corrugated open (1960's)

3: resin kit for a CIE Atlantean (1970's)

4: selection of tankers to make CIE versions x5 (1980's)

5: resin kit for GNR(I) brake van (1950's)

6: resin kit for CIE PD1 (1959 version)

7: resin kit for CIE Van Hool Atlantean (1980's)

Where do I start?

SNAP. LOL

In the months leading up to when our son was born, I was working on two scratch built 15mm/ft 3ft gauge bogie coaches, one Irish, one English. The two coaches are still in precisely the same state of two-thirds-finished-ness that they were the day he was born, which is now nearly eight years ago.

OK, in the meantime, we now have a daughter, as well as a son, and I've managed to one-third-finish a medium-sized 0 layout, but those two coaches do prick at my conscience!

K

I thought it was all part of being a Railway Modeller, being diverted into one dead end siding or passing loop after another.

I try to keep it down to no more than 10 kits on the go at the same time. It used to be 3, then 5 but kept opening the box.

• RMweb Premium

I think that it's a good thing to happen, it stops the danger of any particular project becoming a chore. I don't think I've finished any one single thing that I've started, and I'm quite happy with that.

These drawers contain my unbuilt and part built wagon collection, going back 30-40 years. All that time they've been dumped in boxes, and pretty much out of sight and mind. They are now sorted, and on one of my modelling workbenches. Wheels, W-irons and other bits are in other drawers. I just need to get the necessary tools properly organised, and within a few months I will have NO unbuilt wagon kits :angel:. Then it's on to the coaches and locos, that are neatly sorted in a couple of boxes. Now everything is organised, there seem to be a lot less, and it's more doable, than it seemed when everything was in a mess!

post-7091-0-03558000-1448365210.jpg

I get side-tracked all the time. As far as railway modelling goes I have an appalling lack of self-discipline. That's why I have a layout that's so far from finished it's unfit to be seen, and five or six loco kits and a couple of coach kits in boxes. All it takes is a photo of an attractive wagon, and I'm lost. And nowadays I tend to build private owners in rakes.

The good news is that when the Lottery comes up, I'll probably have enough wagons to equip a model of Woodhead, and I'll just have to buy the rest of the stuff needed. .

These drawers contain my unbuilt and part built wagon collection, going back 30-40 years. All that time they've been dumped in boxes, and pretty much out of sight and mind. They are now sorted, and on one of my modelling workbenches. Wheels, W-irons and other bits are in other drawers. I just need to get the necessary tools properly organised, and within a few months I will have NO unbuilt wagon kits :angel:. Then it's on to the coaches and locos, that are neatly sorted in a couple of boxes. Now everything is organised, there seem to be a lot less, and it's more doable, than it seemed when everything was in a mess!

attachicon.gifDSCF7768.JPG

I try to be tidy, most projects are in seperate plastic boxes with snap on lids, helps to keep small parts with the project, my desk is pretty tidy, everywhere else is another story

post-27214-0-97180100-1448390399.jpg

I think that it's a good thing to happen, it stops the danger of any particular project becoming a chore. I don't think I've finished any one single thing that I've started, and I'm quite happy with that.

I have to agree, it has to be fun, some of my projects stall through lack of parts (or inspiration), and as often the case, while I'm waiting for parts/inspiration to arrive I start something else

Archived