Cornish Branch Line

That is very helpful, many thanks. I am sorted on DMUs and 66s now.

I still have problems getting my head around current liveries. If anyone can help please, for the period 1995-2006:-

• did class 60s, 56s, or 67s run on Cornish branches and if so which liveries?
  • did any locos appear on Cornish Branches in DB Schenker Red livery, Mainline, Roadhaul, Transrail or Colas rail livery and if so which locos in which livery?

Thanks.

In "West Cornwall Mineral Railways" by Maurice Dart there is a photo taken of 56013 carrying out "clearance trials" at Trelavour on the 27th of February 1990. The loco arrived in Cornwall on a train of CDAs from Tavvy Jn. It rescued 47815 on the down sleeper after it failed on Treverrin Bank. The 56 worked through to Penzance before returning east.

Maurice Dart reported an unusual sighting in the form of a class 56 on the China Clay at Burngullow on 26/11/2011 but the number and livery is not recorded.

The class 60 were RA8 and thus too heavy for many of the Cornish Branch lines although they were later cleared west of Burngullow to Penzance and also the Fowey branch. Never common west of Burngullow but they did work the Penzance fuel tanks from time to time. The main use of these locos were to replace pairs of class 37s on the Burngullow to Irvine clay slurry tanks and the St Blazey to Cliffe Vale service. These services ran far more frequently in those days and class 60s could be seen for a few years at work in Cornwall. They became rarer later after the millennium.

I have not been able to find record of the 67s on any Cornish branches. They seem to have stuck to the mainline on the forays into the west.

• RMweb Gold

From memory, you can have RFD, Transrail and Mainline 37/6 possibly the intercity one was still at st blazer in 95 as well. Later into the early 2000s you would also get EWS as they got repainted.

The photo on the box of the loadhual Hornby 60 is on the mainline in Cornwall on a clay train if I remember rightly (else it was a photo on the net)

66s would all be EWS red (other than the aforementioned freight liner cement) 66001 was fairly common in photos with its red grills. DB Red is post 2006.

59s, I cant remember the date they started being used on engineers services, but I recall mid 2000s. I think it was a made up working based on the flow to Minehead that I had planned for a 59 on lwb opens carrying aggrageate for sea defences.

Re 56s, I think I remember a photo of one in transrail at a st blazey open day, though I don't think it worked in service down there. The other options being to early/late. It wouldn't be too far fetched to justify it running s couple of workings before going home.

I think you can justify a 47 or two as well.

For units a mix of Regional Railways and Wessex Trains (plus Wales and west branded Regional Railways) 150s and 153s would cover it. Not sure if any branches would see the odd 158 in the summer.

For units a mix of Regional Railways and Wessex Trains (plus Wales and west branded Regional Railways) 150s and 153s would cover it. Not sure if any branches would see the odd 158 in the summer.

You just reminded me of something. 158s were diagrammed to Falmouth in the Wales + West days. There was an evening service from (I think) Exeter to Par which ran through to Falmouth on Fridays only, arriving very late at night then returning to Par just before midnight.

158s are allowed to St Ives but not into platform 3 at St Erth. On the few occasions they did operate vice a 150 they had to use platform 2 and required some shuffling if something came up the main line in between turns.

Cheers

David

A few unusual loco movements for the "prototype for anything" department.

37674 and 31407+31466 top and tailed a Pathfinder tour to St Ives on 17/5/1997.

6024 King Edward I and 56078 top and tailed a Pathfinder tour to Falmouth on 20/9/1998.

33108 and inspection saloon 975025 Caroline visited St Ives, Falmouth and Gunnislake on 17/3/2006.

45407 The Lancashire Fusilier and 37410 top and tailed a PTR tour to St Ives and Falmouth on 25/3/2007.

D1015 and 40145 top and tailed a Cl40PS tour to Falmouth and St Ives on 15-16/5/2010.

Cheers

David

This is the info I have been looking for. This is just great. I have also discovered Hawksworth 0-6 0 pannier tan 9466 and West Coast Railways 37685 topped and tailed a working down the Looe branch for a weekend in 2010 p54 Railway Magazine Oct 2015. Thanks to all. Quite excited I can build something interesting and basically authentic and "correct" now.

This is the info I have been looking for. This is just great. I have also discovered Hawksworth 0-6 0 pannier tan 9466 and West Coast Railways 37685 topped and tailed a working down the Looe branch for a weekend in 2010

So did GWR Steam Railmotor 93 in 2012.

Cheers

David

Archived