RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

The wide diagonal bar also appears much closer to the grill mesh, being more prominent than on the model, where it appears recessed. Perhaps EE Brian will consider producing a more accurate replacement that would resolve this issue ?

Talking of diagonal framing, the pic of D5034 on post #518 shows that almost all of the structural framing shows through the skin, a challenge the mold makers have not met.

Regards

My point was that the reinforcing bars are behnd the grill, the toolmaker for the model has put them in front.

attachicon.gifD5018 - Copy.JPG

It appears from this prototype photo that the vertical bars aren't actually part of the grille, and lie behind the body framing, possibly tying the top and bottom of the radiator itself together. In fact, they're not so much bars as tie-rods, and being circular section won't present a plane face to reflect light to anywhere near the extent the model ones do.

The Nim.

Edited by Nimbus

We understand that some people aren't happy with the grill, one person to the point of refusing to buy one because of it despite all its other merits, I honestly don't think SLW are going to be able to rectify this to everyone's satisfaction because there will be far too few slats or vertical slats that can't be seen followed by oh yes they can, to them all being the same height or it being too prominent... And so on and so on! So no matter what SLW do to improve it on the next batch someone is going to latch on to this grill fixation and say "yes, better... But they still have this bit wrong..." And we will just have a repeat of this thread again. This has been going on for so many pages now and every time someone tries to lighten the mood and move on to other aspects someone comes back to start the grill debate again :( We get it! Can we just move on now to talk about other stuff, this has been debated to death and surely we don't need it getting blown out of proportion? This loco is surely more than just a grill isn't it?

Please can we move on and make this a friendly thread and not one about a single item or a place to attack someone else? Like I mentioned earlier this loco and thread brought me out of lurking on the forum for years to actually contributing and I'd hate to revert to just lurking but this is going on too long and turning me to hate the forum again... A forum about a hobby, a hobby that should be fun! We know certain mistakes should be pointed out but when does it reach the point of overkill?

Sorry if some of you don't agree but I got back in to modelling when my dad had a severe stroke and became bed bound and I became his carer and I needed something fun and calming to do while I look after him and all the stress that entails. And its something he can enjoy looking at but I see the fun being drained out of it :(

• Like 1

Just to lighten things :)

My photos of D5061 on the NYMR on the 27th of May 2010

attachicon.gifD5061_01.jpg

attachicon.gifD5061_02.jpg

attachicon.gifD5061_03.jpg

I don't know what the NYMR were thinking, plain green with orange cantrail stripes and modern OHLE flashes. And the roof weathering is rubbish, everyone knows that pro weathered locos have black roofs not streaky rusty brown ones. Pahh, I won't be buying it  :no:

Edited by black and decker boy

It appears from this prototype photo that the vertical bars aren't actually part of the grille, and lie behind the body framing, possibly tying the top and bottom of the radiator itself together. In fact, they're not so much bars as tie-rods, and being circular section won't present a plane face to reflect light to anywhere near the extent the model ones do.

The Nim.

How do you deduce all of that from a picture where the verticals are not visible? Or are you referring to another picture that you forgot to attach?

Regards

I don't know what the NYMR were thinking, plain green with orange cantrail stripes and modern OHLE flashes. And the roof weathering is rubbish, everyone knows that pro weathered locos have black roofs not streaky rusty brown ones. Pahh, I won't be buying it  :no:

Haha ;)

I love the rusty brown roof

• RMweb Gold

Me neither.  The NYMR have also missed off the extra set of footsteps on one bogie that lined up with the cut-out ladder up the side to reach the roof mounted water filler that was fitted to locos in original condition. :nono:

:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought we had to wait for it to appear on the site?

Me too - I checked the web-site first thing this morning as Monday 14th had been mentioned - nothing.

Perhaps, as Dave is apparently the RMweb mouthpiece for SLW, he could ascertain ASAP exactly when we potential new customers might be able to place an order.

One thing's for certain; no matter how good the Class 24 is alleged to be, SLW's communications skills leave a lot to be desired !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Me too - I checked the web-site first thing this morning as Monday 14th had been mentioned - nothing.

Perhaps, as Dave is apparently the RMweb mouthpiece for SLW, he could ascertain ASAP exactly when we potential new customers might be able to place an order.

One thing's for certain; no matter how good the Class 24 is alleged to be, SLW's communications skills leave a lot to be desired !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John.This is a two-person outfit. I recommend that you do what I did last Sat. Pick up the phone.

Isn't it about time we ceased the endless bickering and sniping that has dogged this thread since it was started ? If there are issues still....and there seem to be.....are they not best aired in PM form ?

It is a shame that a new model and manufacturer is greeted with such sour overtones..

John.This is a two-person outfit. I recommend that you do what I did last Sat. Pick up the phone.

And as a 2 person outfit with a lot to do they probably don't want the phone ringing every couple of minutes and would prefer you followed the guidance on their website.

Regards

....I suspect that he won't be turning down any sales, even if it means hiring an extra pair of hands for a day or two.

Dave

True but I've been really looking forward to this loco and i'd rather ensure I get one without people jumping the queue by not following the instructions on their website which is very clear

On another note, Has anyone who has already got one started any modifications yet? (weathering? renumbering?)

On another note, Has anyone who has already got one started any modifications yet? (weathering? renumbering?)

Sorry not at the moment. I have D5000 that is waiting to have a SYP added to the front, but I also have to modify the water tank to the smaller one for this version. Unfortunately it is behind in the queue for attention behind a batch of 37's. Originally going to be in blue as D5000, but didn't have the heart to overspray the original paint job.

Paul J.

• Like 1