Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

i replied to my email i received regarding pre order, but not heard back from them yet. seeing as it was nearly a week since the email i would have thought i would have heard back by now. can't be hundreds on the pre order list

i have contact, and my bank account is even emptier

Excellent, thank you

Just a bit of clarification here.

If you have purchased one of the SLW Class 24 models without sound, then you will be able to upgrade it later with decoder, speakers etc from RAIL EXCLUSIVE.

This would be a convenient way to spread the cost whilst taking advantage of the 'loyalty' special price for the model.

The decoder and speakers are specifically designed for this model and will not fit any other brand.

There are no plans for SLW or RE to offer this sound project in any other format.

Kind regards,

Paul

Phil Did say to me during a phone call that spares are available, the buffers for instance are £160.00, 'cause they come with a loco attached!

He did also say 'never say Never, but that Never could well be a looooooong time'.

I expect that getting into the "spare part" game for detailing other projects this early into the life of a new company would just be a distraction for both him and Jamie, whilst they are busy working on the next releases.

MC

I think this previous customer idea is a bit naff.  If you look at Rail Exclusives website it includes many previous limited edition models that I purchased under the past models section but still I never received any offer to purchase the new class 24.  Does the invite depend on how much you have spent??

Which bit don't you like? The part where past customers are offered a special price? Lol.

No, it does not depend upon the amount you have spent in the past.

If you are a past customer, you will be entitled to purchase at the loyalty price within the timescale set out.

Since this is being done by invitation, RE will need to have your current email or postal address on file. If you have moved or have changed your email address since last purchase then obviously they will not have been able to contact you.

All past customers have now been sent the invitation.

If you have not received yours by now, check any previous email addresses and your spam folder. Otherwise, email RE immediately with your current contact details and previous purchase history to get the ball rolling.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but to use my earlier example of the Mona Lisa- it's just a picture... but you go try and deface it.

I can't understand the fuss about that old painting. Grief, with the money that museum is worth surely they could afford a newer painting by now.

I kinda get what you're saying, but the comparison isn't really relevant.

Leonardo's ML is a one-off, antique artwork, held in a museum. I have seen it in the flesh, wasn't all that impressed tbh. So many other great artworks in the Louvre that everyone just rushes by to see ML (or try to see her through the throng all trying to take selfies...). Meh.

The SLW 24 is a mass-produced toy train which is, to my mind, just the starting point (albeit a very good one) to recreating a miniature of a working locomotive to run on my small scale representation of a railway.

The cost of the model is irrelevant in that regard, it's what I can do with it (weathering, further detailing, repaint, modification) that represents it's 'value' to me. In this case, the base model will greatly reduce/simplify the time and effort I'll spend bringing it up to my personal standard - that saved time I'll 're-spend' on something else that may need more work or something extra that might not otherwise happen.

• Like 1

I kinda get what you're saying, but the comparison isn't really relevant.

Leonardo's ML is a one-off, antique artwork, held in a museum. I have seen it in the flesh, wasn't all that impressed tbh. So many other great artworks in the Louvre that everyone just rushes by to see ML (or try to see her through the throng all trying to take selfies...). Meh.

The SLW 24 is a mass-produced toy train which is, to my mind, just the starting point (albeit a very good one) to recreating a miniature of a working locomotive to run on my small scale representation of a railway.

The cost of the model is irrelevant in that regard, it's what I can do with it (weathering, further detailing, repaint, modification) that represents it's 'value' to me. In this case, the base model will greatly reduce/simplify the time and effort I'll spend bringing it up to my personal standard - that saved time I'll 're-spend' on something else that may need more work or something extra that might not otherwise happen.

Nailed and put to bed.

Spot on Alan...

Can this be clarified a little?

There is a difference between "spares" that someone will buy to super detail a Bachmann (Heljan have found this out I suspect) and spares to repair a damaged SLW24- which lets face it, will happen sooner or later to someone here.

Phil Did say to me during a phone call that spares are available, the buffers for instance are £160.00, 'cause they come with a loco attached!

He did also say 'never say Never, but that Never could well be a looooooong time'.

I expect that getting into the "spare part" game for detailing other projects this early into the life of a new company would just be a distraction for both him and Jamie, whilst they are busy working on the next releases.

MC

Which bit don't you like? The part where past customers are offered a special price? Lol.

If you are a past customer, you will be entitled to purchase at the loyalty price within the timescale set out.

Since this is being done by invitation, RE will need to have your current email or postal address on file. If you have moved or have changed your email address since last purchase then obviously they will not have been able to contact you.

If you have not received yours by now, check any previous email addresses and your spam folder. Otherwise, email RE immediately with your current contact details and previous purchase history to get the ball rolling.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks for your help.  I will get the ball rolling this evening.  I think the naff bit is not the special pricing but the danger of missing previous customers due to such changes in address, email etc.

A special pricing period from release say for 21 days may encourage new customers as well and help get the cash rolling in for development of Class 25 models!!!

Great looking model by the way.

...given the standard of this model and the amount of exposure on the forums already, I'd have thought that many previous customers would be straight on the phone to SLW anyway....not waiting to see whether they were contacted. Phil has done the hard work and gone right out on a limb to deliver it at this level....the least that his customers can do is support him....even if it is only moral.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

NIRCLASS80,  what else are SLW supposed to do if email addresses etc have changed?. After all, the relevant information has been posted repeatedly in this thread and on their website , see

http://www.sulzertype2.com/contact.php

My only suggestion was that perhaps as a company (Rail Exclusive) producing excellent limited edition models for 19 years a special price for everyone for a short period may have been a great way to get even more people hooked on this model, which certainly looks great.  

As for address changes that is always going to be a problem when you have been going this long, most people didn't even have an email address back then!!  :)

....everyone will have their own view but having been fortunate enough to own one from the day of the launch, I find that it is more accurate to feel grateful that it is possible to get this standard at this price.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

...given the standard of this model and the amount of exposure on the forums already, I'd have thought that many previous customers would be straight on the phone to SLW anyway....not waiting to see whether they were contacted. Phil has done the hard work and gone right out on a limb to deliver it at this level....the least that his customers can do is support him....even if it is only moral.

Dave

With all due respect, I amongst many others didn't know this model was being released until the launch day, i'll support Phil all the way on this, as id like both sound versions but, as i was not a previous custormer with RE, i'll more than likely miss out. 

• RMweb Premium

Can this be clarified a little?

There is a difference between "spares" that someone will buy to super detail a Bachmann (Heljan have found this out I suspect) and spares to repair a damaged SLW24- which lets face it, will happen sooner or later to someone here.

Agreed - perhaps if you are a registered buyer of the loco then you could purchase spares at some later point, for the purposes of repairing a damaged model. Though if you wanted 30 buffers you could be unlucky......

Brian

• Like 1

Kind regards,

Paul

I have to admit i'm a previous customer (in 2013) and haven't changed email address but haven't had any email from them so i'm not sure that's accurate and i did get a mail 4/14 re the Northern Belle and DRS 47's for a pre-order (not my era so didn't take it up) so they certainly had my email address last year

Brian

I have to admit i'm a previous customer (in 2013) and haven't changed email address but haven't had any email from them so i'm not sure that's accurate and i did get a mail 4/14 re the Northern Belle and DRS 47's for a pre-order (not my era so didn't take it up) so they certainly had my email address last year

Brian

Brian,

What can I say? Mistakes happen.

The important point is that I was informing everyone that there will be no more RE initiated emails with the invitation.

So, if you want one at the loyalty price, you haven't yet received an invitation and you are indeed a past customer, the ball is in your court.

Kind regards,

Paul

You seem to be confusing spare parts ( parts that are manufactured for re-sale in their own entity ) with replacement parts ( parts that may available from the producer to replace damaged or missing parts ). Semantics some may say, but "Hey ho!"

Various people in this place have expressed an interest for the purchase of "spare parts", such as the Sprung Buffers.

Phil basically has said "no" to spare parts at the moment and for some time in the near future ( no possible timescale given or suggested ) in this sense.

However ....................

If you receive a model and it's been damaged in transit then I'm sure that it would be replaced once returned ( so the Phil could work out how it was damaged in the first place ). I did receive a Vi-Trains limited Ed from RE that was missing a detail sprue, I contacted Phil and he had a replacement he could send as it was missing originally. 

If you damage it yourself, ..... well, lets put it this way from my own experience with a different supplier .. I have a Heljan 47 that I dropped and fractured the cab corners and roof... I have had to repair it the best I could, as the body in that livery was never available as a replacement. I would expect the same situation might possibly occur after that particular model has sold out.

All I can say is that if you are concerned that you may damage your model yourself after receiving it in good condition, or feel that you need more clarification on the "Spares" availability would be to Phone SLW ( Number is 01780 470086 ) and enquire what you could do and where you would stand with regards to all or any replacement parts after your accident, probably before you buy.

MC

A mate went up to the launch and reported back that the model has the most stunning detail of any RTR model he has ever seen and also the most  brilliant sound. Looks like a lot of thought and effort went into the creation of this model. RE was very badly let down over its class 33 production and so very much deserves to succeed with this class 24 venture!

The class had only a slight dalliance with the Southern Region of BR ( the theme of my layout) but I have ordered both the blue and green versions. Now all I want is Father Christmas to get a shuffle on and bring them ready for Christmas.