Soldering to a ribbon cable and LED legs - advice please

ThePurplePrimer

I am just started to get my head around the control system for my upcoming layout and will be using a CML DTM30 for my control panel.

This uses ribbon cables to connect to input buttons and for the outputs to LEDs that will show the position of my points ( turnouts ).

I have done a quick test with a few buttons and LEDs and it all works fine but its very obvious that soldering directly from the ribbon cable to the buttons and LEDs might not be the easiest way to go - certainly once it all starts to get busy with connections.

Any suggestions as to how best to handle this - I once saw some VERY neat use of ribbon cables on here - was it Suzie's work ?

What you need is some sort of mechanical fixing so that everything is not floating about. A simple and cheap way to go would be chocolate blocks. Fixed to something solid, fan the ribbon out and terminate in one side, then flying single leads, made into cable form and laced up if necessary, to the LEDs and buttons. The biggest problem with these is the bulk if you need many. One good thing is that they are brilliant for fault finding. You can test (to the screwhead) and easily break the circuit down if necessary, to test each way.

Those 'proper' connectors look very neat - and tempting

But for now I have some vero board to try - its is spaced at 2.5 mm centres with 1mm nominal holes

After a bit of playing out it became obvious that I really need to think about supporting the individual ribbon cable wires as this panel will no doubt get much modification and movement while doing that.

What I have done is drill the actually 1.1 mm holes out to 1.2 - this allowsnthe insulation to just pass through - then I looped the non soldered end back through the next ( unused ) hole.

Is this a good an acceptable solution do we think ?

I hope the photos of my test piece shows what I mean

post-20732-0-09464700-1449160538_thumb.jpg

post-20732-0-09464700-1449160538_thumb.jpg

post-20732-0-53722200-1449160560_thumb.jpg

But for now I have some vero board to try - its is spaced at 2.5 mm centres with 1mm nominal holes

2.54mm pitch, I think you'll find ;).

The small difference might not sound important but becomes increasingly significant when used with multipin connectors or IC sockets - to the point of unusability beyond about 8 pins in a row.

At least on all my small layouts the vero board connectors you show do work, Rob.

HTH

Armin

PS: Just be careful, the copper sheet may (!) delaminate when under stress

(e.g. by drilling and/or repeated unsoldering). Very rare…

Archived