Class 395 Javelin

woodenhead

Hi,

In talking to the driver when I 'Cabbed' one when they were doing the trail runs, he said that it was 100mph in the tunnels, but you may get up to 140 between Stratford and Ebbs fleet, but I doubt it, as it'll diverge at Ebbs fleet, so it probably won't get to fully speed as they have to slow for the approach control.

Be careful of GPS measuring speed, they can give false readings.

Simon

I know GPS can give false readings, but these were smoothly updating every 5-10 secs from the Stratford tunnel exit, and showing a steady progression (no jumping around) up to the high 130s, before falling off near the north end of the Dartford Tunnel.

Are there KM posts? If so which side? Will have to try a stopwatch next time!

Actually, you should get close to max speed - I've travelled on plenty on that stretch, and GPS'd them at above 135 across Rainham Marshes, but not for very long.

Say hello to Strood for me.

Lynne reckoned there's the possibility of 225 kph between the portals of the London and Thames tunnels; there certainly was when she tried the simulator at Ashford in October. Not sure about kilometric points, though there are the blue and yellow reperes in both directions.

For info, the eastern portal of the London tunnels is at 20.07km, and the western portal of the Thames tunnel is at 32.36.

• RMweb Gold

Well it felt fast (in the dark), return is Thursday morning in the light.

Nice ride though and the seats are wide.

....and plenty of legroom between the seats for 6-footers like me.

What I like is leaving Ashford Intl. Station and feeling the surge of power as the driver accelerates once the train gets on the grade down onto HS1. Pity they don't have the speed shown on the onboard displays as they have on the shinkansen in Japan.

Keith

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this thread ahead of another trip on HS1... I took a look at Realtime Trains, where they list working timetable times and miles and chains for HS1.

A quick session with the calculator gave the following, based on the WTT times:

Stratford to Ebbsfleet (start to stop)
5m79 = 5.9875
22m62 = 22.775
so 16.7875 miles
in 10 mins exactly
= 100.725 mph

Ebbsfleet to Ashford (start to stop)
22m62 = 22.775
56m10 = 56.125
so 33.35 miles
in 19 mins exactly
= 105.3 mph

Nashenden to Lenham crossover (passing times)
32m53 = 32.6625
47m3 = 47.0375
so 14.375 miles
in 6.5 mins
= 132.7 mph

Dagenham Jn to Ebbsfleet W Jn (passing times)
12m77 = 12.9625
21m60 = 21.75
so 8.7875
in 4.5 mins
= 117.1 mph

The timings given are only to the quarter minute.

A couple of the "real time" timings for today's trains improved on the working time for Nashenden to Lenham by a quarter of a minute, equating to 138mph.

Or to put it another way, at that kind of speed, ~5mph difference makes it 15 secs quicker over ~14 miles.

I've run out of space on the back of my envelope now.

Archived