Elizabeth Line / Crossrail Updates.

It'd be nice if more covered platform accommodation was provided at Hayes & H.

Last time I was there it was pouring with rain;  passengers standing beneath the footbridge steps and in the rather limited covered shelter provided.

Perhaps more correctly, it would be nice if Hayes & Harlington actually had some station buildings at all on the Up side. For reasons that probably defy logic, TfL want new glass palaces of ticket offices at the Crossrail stations between Ealing and West Drayton, and so far all that has happened is that Hayes resembles a bomb site, West Drayton has had its up side canopy part demolished, half a footbridge built and the up loop platform half rebuilt, West Ealing is still a building site, and at all of them, nothing appears to have happened in terms of progress over a substantial part of the last 12 months.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps more correctly, it would be nice if Hayes & Harlington actually had some station buildings at all on the Up side. For reasons that probably defy logic, TfL want new glass palaces of ticket offices at the Crossrail stations between Ealing and West Drayton, and so far all that has happened is that Hayes resembles a bomb site, West Drayton has had its up side canopy part demolished, half a footbridge built and the up loop platform half rebuilt, West Ealing is still a building site, and at all of them, nothing appears to have happened in terms of progress over a substantial part of the last 12 months.

Jim

Definitely progress at Ealing Broadway Jim - I noticed when i was there a few weeks back that they had put some new posters on the hoardings that have been surrounding the demolished area at street level for the past year.

......The new OOC depot is also awash with 345s, far more than is needed to run any west of Paddington services for some time to come.

Jim

Don't forget that services are due to start running eastbound from Paddington, in the tunnels, in a little over 5 months time.

Presumably final preparation of the trains for service is required and units will be needed for a heavy programme of driver training and a full shake down of the new route and it's ATO operation, before the services start.

Ron

• RMweb Gold

I was checking on progress around Plumstead a couple of weeks ago, and there were a couple of trains loitering outside Abbey Wood station. Another arrived from the West running briskly, presumably on the through platform line. I suppose that these are all on test/training runs  from Old Oak Commmon depot.

Most recent pictures at the top of this link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/albums/72157632675037925

This was my first picture of  any Crossrail stock at OOC a couple of weeks ago.
28610022458_3367c4aaff_b.jpgOld Oak Common by David Harvey, on Flickr

The rest of the photos showing OOC changes at https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=49612551%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=old%20oak&view_all=1

Thanks

Dave

• Like 2

Don't forget that services are due to start running eastbound from Paddington, in the tunnels, in a little over 5 months time.

Presumably final preparation of the trains for service is required and units will be needed for a heavy programme of driver training and a full shake down of the new route and it's ATO operation, before the services start.

Ron

True, although it is unclear as to whether there is actually a functional running connection from the GW to and from the tunnels yet. The track and wiring appears to be all in place, but the area around Westbourne Park appears to be under either a permanent engineer's possession or not yet handed over by the construction contractors every time I go past. Judging by the sort of plant that is parked there, I would doubt that construction work in the western end of the tunnels is not yet complete.

There are a lot of units in OOC, and there have been instances of training trips up and down the main line for some time now, to the extent that with the dates for Paddington to Reading service being some time away I wonder how many drivers are going to have their route knowledge expire first.

Jim

• Like 1

True, although it is unclear as to whether there is actually a functional running connection from the GW to and from the tunnels yet.

The track and wiring appears to be all in place, but the area around Westbourne Park appears to be under either a permanent engineer's possession or not yet handed over by the construction contractors every time I go past.

Judging by the sort of plant that is parked there, I would doubt that construction work in the western end of the tunnels is not yet complete.

The Crossrail tracks were physically connected to the National Rail network, at Westbourne Park, back in late Feb or early March.

According to the Crossrail updates, various final work packages are nearing completion at Westbourne Park.

If it's all on time, it looks like trains should be able to run between the tunnels and OOC later this summer, ready for live testing and final commissioning prior to handover to TfL.

From what I can see, the possessions involve work on the OHLE, new drainage and snagging work.

The OHLE is already energised from Westbourne Park, through the tunnels to the east.

As for the units based at OOC, if I understand the current plan correctly, some of these will take over from the ex-Heathrow Connect, TfL Rail Class 360's, running to Heathrow, later this summer, or during the Autumn.

Once the tunnel link is operational, units can run ECS through the central core to the eastern branches.

http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com//assets/library/document/c/original/c610-xrl-z-xbu-cr076_sd005-50021-westbourne_park_site_possession_works_june_20181.pdf

http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com//assets/library/document/w/original/westbourne_park_june_2018.pdf

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

The Crossrail tracks were physically connected to the National Rail network, at Westbourne Park, back in late Feb or early March.

According to the Crossrail updates, various final work packages are nearing completion at Westbourne Park.

If it's all on time, it looks like trains should be able to run between the tunnels and OOC later this summer, ready for live testing and final commissioning prior to handover to TfL.

From what I can see, the possessions involve work on the OHLE, new drainage and snagging work.

The OHLE is already energised from Westbourne Park, through the tunnels to the east.

As for the units based at OOC, if I understand the current plan correctly, some of these will take over from the ex-Heathrow Connect, TfL Rail Class 360's, running to Heathrow, later this summer, or during the Autumn.

Once the tunnel link is operational, units can run ECS through the central core to the eastern branches.

http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com//assets/library/document/c/original/c610-xrl-z-xbu-cr076_sd005-50021-westbourne_park_site_possession_works_june_20181.pdf

http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com//assets/library/document/w/original/westbourne_park_june_2018.pdf

From Modern railways I believe that the original plan was to have the 345's running the Heathrow connect service by now but there is some sort of problem with ETCS in the Heathrow tunnels so the 360's are being kept on till that's fixed.

Jamie

From Modern railways I believe that the original plan was to have the 345's running the Heathrow connect service by now but there is some sort of problem with ETCS in the Heathrow tunnels so the 360's are being kept on till that's fixed.

Jamie

Indeed, they originally hoped to introduce the 345's on 20th May when TfL Rail took over the Connect service.

The issues around the signalling on the privately owned Heathrow branch, resulting in the 360's being kept on for the time being, have been aired on this forum before.

As I said before, I believe the plan is for the 345's to take over in the later summer or in the Autumn.

I guess that changeover may slip if the issues haven't been ironed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Although rail milling is hardly state of the art technology, and NR have just taken into use a rail milling machine from Schweerbau. The technology is at least ten years old; it just seems to have taken the usual eternity to reach this side of the Channel.

On the other hand, I suppose the TfL PR merchants have to have something to trumpet about pending the actual start of services.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I was just looking at the map which appears at the bottom of something Ron linked to earlier in the thread and it appears that TfL are either. living in a world of their own or are anticipating some things happening which haven't yet occurred.  Here's the map -

The interesting things is that all stations west of Paddington are shown as 'step free from platform to street' but in reality several of them are not and while mostare shown as going to be provided with lifts (but not to every platform in some cases) Iver is not so listed suggesting that it will not have step free access (and it will be quite a hefty job to provide it I would have thought).  A few stations which do have Main Line platforms will not have lifts to the Down Main Line platform so will presumably be treated in a similar way to stations without Main Line Platforms when the Relief Lines are closed for any reason (and no doubt on some sections when the reliefs are closed there will be no sensible alternative to running Crossrail trains non-stop on the Mains in order not to destroy line capacity/delay other services).

• RMweb Premium

It is very kind of Crossrail to offer that information sheet in 13 other languages, but I note neither Welsh nor Cornish is offered, despite a good number of direct trains to/from Paddington and Reading to the areas where those languages are spoken. Maybe I should fill in the box and request a translation (not that I'd understand whatever came back!).

• Like 5

Now that I have been able to look at the pictures (you can't do that via GWR's wi-fi facility :nono: ), that's kit that I suspect a good many NR section managers would like to be able to have, especially the OLE train, which is light years ahead of NR's current practices, but quite typical of the rest of Europe. NR seems to have a thing about using RRVs, inevitably through contractors, for everything when proper rail-borne machines would do a better job.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

It is very kind of Crossrail to offer that information sheet in 13 other languages, but I note neither Welsh nor Cornish is offered, despite a good number of direct trains to/from Paddington and Reading to the areas where those languages are spoken. Maybe I should fill in the box and request a translation (not that I'd understand whatever came back!).

TfL wouldn't care - there are not large numbers of Welsh or Cornish speakers in the areas affected by Crossrail so it will have zero political impact. In fact I wouldn't mind betting that on the western branch in particular English is in the minority when it comes to 'first language status compared to those from South Asia.

• RMweb Premium

Now that I have been able to look at the pictures (you can't do that via GWR's wi-fi facility :nono: ), that's kit that I suspect a good many NR section managers would like to be able to have, especially the OLE train, which is light years ahead of NR's current practices, but quite typical of the rest of Europe. NR seems to have a thing about using RRVs, inevitably through contractors, for everything when proper rail-borne machines would do a better job.

Jim

What about this then?

or this?

or this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/17011997092/

NR obviously does use an awful lot of RRVs - but they are very flexible and (assuming enough track access points are created) don't have to travel miles to get off the line. The core of the Elizabeth line is obviously all in a tunnel so lacks suitable RRV access points, which may be why TfL  have decided to splash the cash on train based solutions.

Also please remember that from Royal Oak - Reading, Pudding Mill lane - Stratford ALL track / signalling / OHLE maintenance remains with Network Rail. These fancy new machines will only be used on the TfL managed railway between Royal Oak - Pudding Mill Lane / Abbey Wood.

• Like 1

NR obviously does use an awful lot of RRVs - but they are very flexible and (assuming enough track access points are created) don't have to travel miles to get off the line. The core of the Elizabeth line is obviously all in a tunnel so lacks suitable RRV access points, which may be why TfL  have decided to splash the cash on train based solutions.

Also please remember that from Royal Oak - Reading, Pudding Mill lane - Stratford ALL track / signalling / OHLE maintenance remains with Network Rail. These fancy new machines will only be used on the TfL managed railway between Royal Oak - Pudding Mill Lane / Abbey Wood.

There's room for a balanced mix between rail-borne maintenance vehicles and RRVs. My view is that Briain's railways went too far in the direction of using RRVs for nearly everything, but that is going to have been influenced by the proliferation of contractors and a consequent desire to avoid investing in expensive items of equipment. It isn't down to coincidence that the European railways, and their contractors (who tend to be more proper railway engineering contractors rather than civils contractors turning their hand at railways) have invested in a more balanced mix, with plenty examples of railborne maintenance vehicles quite capable of travelling in amongst the service when needed.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jamie

Vague rumour about ETCS software incompatibility, something about different versions between mobiles and fixed infrastructure. 

Regards, Ian.