Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

The roof and body are now sprayed , and the window surrounds have had their first coat. One of the quarter light Windows pushed in while I was masking up, but I managed to pull it back with a bit of tape and a tiny drop of glue.

The radiator and fan grilles and other castings have yet to be fitted, but I'm on the home straight:-)

The radiator block and roof fan aperture have been painted in a nice filthy mix as this won't be a clean loco!

post-19951-0-02241900-1473705383.jpeg

• Like 7

I have a few packs of CPL couplings, but none matched those fitted to the class 22 in the early years. I think I could have used the top 1/2 of a diesel coupling and the bottom 1/2 of a wagon coupling as I did on my MMP B tanks. Working out at around £16.00 this option is a tad pricey, so I decided to have a go at the JLTRT set supplied.

Sometimes, the JLTRT coupling need a lot of fettling to get them to work and look ok. These were no exception, and required the use of my 12BA taps and dies, and a lot of patience. But it was nice to spark up the soldering iron again :-)

Anyway, they came up fine as the photo shows.......

post-19951-0-30641000-1474042566_thumb.jpeg

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the reporting disks aren't fitted yet. The lost wax disks supplied are fine, if a little thick, so I'm going to try my hand at these working variety, again from JLTRT.

I'm not 100& convinced with the handrails, and may replace them with fine wire. The strange thing is, when you don't  want something to fall out or off it will (Glazing) when you want something to come off......

post-19951-0-84486900-1474042911_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

I have found the lamp holes are too big on the etched disks for my loco, so I won't be using them :(

It's a shame because they are a really nice etch, and would have looked great even if they were just posed in the open or closed position.

So, back to the cast set!

If they are the cast ones they look very good to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are the cast ones, and I'm really pleased with them :-)

I just tried the rad grilles and they also look very nice:-)

Hoping to varnish it tomorrow, then give it a good weathering:-)

Just wondering weather to start on the toad or the MOK 7400.......

Edited by Mr Grumpy

• RMweb Gold

They are the cast ones, and I'm really pleased with them :-)

I just tried the rad grilles and they also look very nice:-)

Hoping to varnish it tomorrow, then give it a good weathering:-)

Just wondering weather to start on the toad or the MOK 7400.......

It's about time you did a proper model, the Toad for me!!!

Mike.

Can I ask

Have you finished them using gloss finish for the transfers,then satin varnish to seal it all then weathering on top ?  yes

Hi class 27,

I have used Halfords gloss cellulose car paint for the finish you see now.

I'm spraying them both with a satin finish varnish to seal the transfers and take the high gloss shine off. The Hymek will be very lightly weathered as I want it to appear almost ex works.

The 22 will be weathered, but I didn't want a totally mat finish. Once the varnish is on, I will get the numbers and builders plates on the Hymek and the plates and windscreen wipers on the 22.

• RMweb Gold

Hi class 27,

I have used Halfords gloss cellulose car paint for the finish you see now.

I'm spraying them both with a satin finish varnish to seal the transfers and take the high gloss shine off. The Hymek will be very lightly weathered as I want it to appear almost ex works.

The 22 will be weathered, but I didn't want a totally mat finish. Once the varnish is on, I will get the numbers and builders plates on the Hymek and the plates and windscreen wipers on the 22.

How did you mask the windows - tape, a sharp knife and patience?

Chris

How did you mask the windows - tape, a sharp knife and patience?

Chris

Hi Chris....

The Hymek was a sinch...I sprayed the cab then masked the inner window openings. Sprayed the white surrounds. Fitted the glazing then masked the whole white window area when I sprayed the body.

With the class 22, again I sprayed the cab then had to fit the windows. Built the loco,and used the holes in the glazing sheet to cut the masking tape for the windows to shape. The only 'problem' window was a quarter light where the top pushed in a little. I put a tiny dab of glue on to the edges with 0.5 wire and pulled it back with very tacky masking tape. My contact lens remover plunger was too big :-)

I painted the aluminium frames free hand without masking the body as they stand a little proud.

I'm hoping to make some windscreen wiper templates and make the windscreens slightly dirty, but not going ott!

The reason for lamination being, that, if they are etched in a single thickness there is excessive cusp. Brian thinks of everything!

Mike.

Question. How thick were the numbers? If they were Approx. 1" That is only Approx. 0.5mm. In 7mm

But if you etch from one side only you would not have the etch cusp but you "could" end up with smaller numbers.That is if you don't take in to account the size reduction of the etching.

OzzyO.

My Hymek is now fully finished and ready for earning a living on my layout (When its re-built!)

Just noticed the roof isn't sat fully home!

I have made a start on weathering my 22 and should finish that one over the weekend.

post-19951-0-36533300-1474650250_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-93082500-1474650269_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-16347500-1474650291_thumb.jpeg

post-19951-0-68030800-1474650330_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 12