Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

....I guess the adjoining coach to the BS was the one being slipped? Perhaps Dave will enlighten us :-)

They were never slipped in service - but there was a plan to do so at the point of building. On that subject - it looks as if you have forgotten to drill through the small 'spyhole' marked on the inside for this purpose. All the BS vehicles originally allocated to the WR had them, I believe. The hole is marked out on the inside of the outer brake end, and so you can still do it at this stage of the assembly. I think I've mentioned this to you once or twice before!

Regards

DJP/MMP

• Like 1

They were never slipped in service - but there was a plan to do so at the point of building. On that subject - it looks as if you have forgotten to drill through the small 'spyhole' marked on the inside for this purpose. All the BS vehicles originally allocated to the WR had them, I believe. The hole is marked out on the inside of the outer brake end, and so you can still do it at this stage of the assembly. I think I've mentioned this to you once or twice before!

Regards

DJP/MMP

Hi Dave,

Check out the photo back in post 849. It's 0.5mm from the electrical plug as per instructions :-)

My humble apologies Richard. I was looking for a small 'black hole'!

So does, a black hole start as a large Black Hole and then end up as a small Black Hole? and then end up so small that it just absorbs all of the matter that is around it? 

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

So does, a black hole start as a large Black Hole and then end up as a small Black Hole? and then end up so small that it just absorbs all of the matter that is around it? 

OzzyO.

No - sometimes black holes are just harder to see than you expect them to be - especially when viewed from an oblique angle, when they sometimes, it seems, don't appear black at all, but can even be brass coloured!

I must admit to a little over indulgence with the photos, but I'm rather pleased with the chassis and bogies. The footboards are on and will probably need a little tweaking. The masking tape will come off the wheels once the weathering is complete.

post-19951-0-38871000-1504182700_thumb.png

post-19951-0-51391900-1504182753_thumb.png

post-19951-0-91868300-1504182787_thumb.png

post-19951-0-86568000-1504182819_thumb.png

• Like 3

The rivet strips, which are very delicate, are next, to be followed by the guttering. I used the same approach I used on the rivet strip for my DJH 47. I tinned the back and applied a tiny run along the bottom of the roof and sweated them together. I'll add a photo of the guttering once that is on :-)

post-19951-0-39513600-1504357964_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The rivet strips, which are very delicate, are next, to be followed by the guttering. I used the same approach I used on the rivet strip for my DJH 47. I tinned the back and applied a tiny run along the bottom of the roof and sweated them together. I'll add a photo of the guttering once that is on :-)

attachicon.gifIMG_6906.JPG

Apologies for keeping banging on about it, but that is a perfect job for the RSU.

Mike.

I fitted the gutters then went on to fit the guard's periscopes and the roof vents. I really like the vents, the main body being cast and the top cover made from forming a strip of nickel silver. They really do look the business:-)

The roof isn't fully fitted yet as the inner ends of the coach which hold the roof in place will be next to go on, then the fitting out of the coach handles etc.

Ps...the eagle eyed will have noticed the spy hole has been moved inboard by 4mm :-)

post-19951-0-66261800-1504803581_thumb.jpg

post-19951-0-12683400-1504803692_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 1

I thought I'd take a break from the coach and attempt to build the lamp that Dave provides with the kit. The instructions recommended using 2.5mm plastic rod for the chimney. I only had brass tube and so the whole thing was soldered together, using one of our most useful friends, a spare washer for the cap. Ok, I'm sure there have been better examples made up, but to be honest I'm chuffed to bits with it :-)

post-19951-0-86388800-1505171777_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Im sure you could of fitted it with a small L.E.D.

Ian G

Hi Ian,

I hope you're not thrown down the gauntlet :-) I do have some red LEDs, but not being in to electronics, I would have struggled to fit a battery, if one exists for the size. I didn't want to go down the route of having a battery or rail pick up and have the connector probs, so I left well alone :-)

I'm going to have to invest in a few lamps for my brake vans and, of course, locos. I'm almost certain they will remain 'dummies' too !