GWR Waiting Shed

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the processing of building a GWR waiting shed (do they have a proper name ?), one of the corrugated iron ones with a curved roof (rather than a pagoda roof).  I'm a bit confused as to the colour it should be.  Most references seem to suggest the GWR stone colours, but the few (B & W) pictures I've seen (Netherhope Halt, Hailes Abbey Halt, and another one in the Forest of Dean) look as though they are white with black roofs.  If it is significant, I'm working in the 1940-1960 period.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the processing of building a GWR waiting shed (do they have a proper name ?), one of the corrugated iron ones with a curved roof (rather than a pagoda roof).  I'm a bit confused as to the colour it should be.  Most references seem to suggest the GWR stone colours, but the few (B & W) pictures I've seen (Netherhope Halt, Hailes Abbey Halt, and another one in the Forest of Dean) look as though they are white with black roofs.  If it is significant, I'm working in the 1940-1960 period.

Adrian

I agree with Robin for GWR days, light and dark stone - later into BR days, probably painted chocolate and cream. I've not heard of any being painted black and white.

As with anything though, its quite possible that GWR colours remained way into Nationalisation.

Good luck with the project.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Robin for GWR days, light and dark stone - later into BR days, probably painted chocolate and cream. I've not heard of any being painted black and white.

As with anything though, its quite possible that GWR colours remained way into Nationalisation.

Good luck with the project.

Just come across this one.  Not sure if it is Cambrian or GWR, but it looks like a white body with a black roof :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79414-pghs-photographs-of-british-railways-from-c1960/?p=1250583

Last picture of the series.

Adrian

Archived