N gauge class 56 no 2 end roof grilles

Today I have received this set of roof grilles to backdate the n gauge Dapol class 56 to a none mid 90s ews/loadhaul machine. In fact these are needed for pretty much anything before the later class 56s from the mid 90s onward. I am more than happy with the results and the grilles should blend in well once painted (the 56 will be repainted into either RF coal or red stripe). Anyone owning the rf coal/rf grey/large logo/br blue versions from Dapol will need these. I have put them for sale on my RBEConcepts shapeways page (link below) for anyone wishing to do the conversion.

post-6894-0-57856000-1450825174_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

HI ,

A big thank you and in New year I will beordering next time a free shipping offer 

Robert

Hi

I would have ordered a set but the postage put me off £7.57 + vat for something that small is a little steep. Do shapeways hand deliver?

I shall now wait thanks to the post above advising they sometimes offer free postage.

Cheers

Paul

Yes postage is the main issue with shapeways for me. I usually wait until I have a lot of things to order before putting it through. I could see about ordering a batch of the grilles and then distributing more sensibly if enough people are interested in getting a set.

Absolutely. I recently took delivery of a headlamp and taillight set for a 7mm 37. I was going to order a few, until I realised the postage is no cheaper on multiple items! Absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't care if they were large items, but we are talking about items that are a few mm square. I order soundchips from Germany, any quantity, free postage, delivered by courier within 36 hours.

I think shipping from Shapeways is reasonable as the shipping is about £3 less than the equivalent Royal Mail service and it includes a sturdy box with plenty of bubble wrap, so it's not like they are charging over the odds and sending you jiffy bag full of broken parts.

The biggest advantage to Shapeways is that it makes available models which would otherwise be cost prohibitive to produce in such quantities, I think the cost of shipping is a small price to pay when the alternative is scratch building the same parts/models. Imagine trying to scratch build the grills shown above, £7 on shipping isn't a lot when considering building the same grills from plasticard would be hours of time invested and the result may not be as good (with my clumsy hands anyway!)

If you were to use a smaller UK company for prints you'd probably find that any saving in the shipping would be offset by higher production costs.

All the best,

Jack

Paul

You need to use the Promo code SUNDAYSHIPPING, and spend over $25. Worked fine for me.

Mike

LATER EDIT: Although the pricing was right the order was cancelled by Shapeways for a whole raft of unspecified reasons. Item had printed before without problem. I won't be re-ordering for now.

• RMweb Premium

Paul

You need to use the Promo code SUNDAYSHIPPING, and spend over $25. Worked fine for me.

Mike

LATER EDIT: Although the pricing was right the order was cancelled by Shapeways for a whole raft of unspecified reasons. Item had printed before without problem. I won't be re-ordering for now.

Hi

Thanks.

So wouldn't have made any difference then as I only wanted something for £5.65. Don't think I'll bother.

Cheers

Paul

Ok so you seem to have issues with Shapeways. Firstly if your order has been cancelled by them then you should contact them and ask for the reason. I get notifications if someone buys one of my products and I have not received a cancellation notification which I would also receive from them should an order be cancelled? Assuming what you ordered were my grilles of course. The grilles are designed within material spec and printed without issue for me so I doubt it is a printability issue. If you contact them and it turns out to be a printability issue then please let me know so that I can sort out the problem with them as the part os well within their material specs.

On the postage front, yes I agree postage is high but thats the nature of dealing with Shapeways, I can assure you that I do not make a lot of money from these parts. If postage is an issue I would be willing to get a batch of grilles printed on a single order and distribute from here once they arrive provided enough people are interested in the grilles. If you are interested let me know and I will assess whether it is worth placing the bulk order.

In the meantime I am looking at alternative printers.

Ok so you seem to have issues with Shapeways. Firstly if your order has been cancelled by them then you should contact them and ask for the reason. I get notifications if someone buys one of my products and I have not received a cancellation notification which I would also receive from them should an order be cancelled? Assuming what you ordered were my grilles of course. The grilles are designed within material spec and printed without issue for me so I doubt it is a printability issue. If you contact them and it turns out to be a printability issue then please let me know so that I can sort out the problem with them as the part os well within their material specs.

On the postage front, yes I agree postage is high but thats the nature of dealing with Shapeways, I can assure you that I do not make a lot of money from these parts. If postage is an issue I would be willing to get a batch of grilles printed on a single order and distribute from here once they arrive provided enough people are interested in the grilles. If you are interested let me know and I will assess whether it is worth placing the bulk order.

In the meantime I am looking at alternative printers.

Not sure who you are replying to here. For the record my comments initially related to the free postage issue. My addendum when the order was cancelled refers to another party's item which I had bought previously and had printed successfully. I have been in contact with the originator and he confirms that a change he made to the file affected its printability in the material I ordered. So there is no issue with Shapeways except that the rejection was non-specific, and I needed to contact the originator to find out why my free postage order over $25 could not be printed.

Archived