The last train from Kellingley-extra photos added.

• RMweb Premium

So the last train of UK deep mined coal. Do any of the remaining opencast mines have rail loading points? If not, the last train of UK coal and truly end of where it all started.

Dava

So the last train of UK deep mined coal. Do any of the remaining opencast mines have rail loading points? If not, the last train of UK coal and truly end of where it all started.

Dava

There are open-cast loading points in South Wales at Gwaun Cae Gurwen, Onllwyn and possibly also Cwmbargoed. In Northumberland, there is a loading point at Butterwell, and in Scotland, several sites in Ayrshire.

Thanks for posting Hugh.  I hope your BiL gets sorted for a job following the closure of Big K.

Do you know if there is a sizeable amount of coal stock at the pit head and what the plans are for shifting it?

Hi

I was told that there are nothing left at colliery and that was the last coal train.

The shafts are to be filled in before March.

There could be spoil trains or scrap trains but who knows ,even if they will bother with lifting track?

Hugh

• RMweb Premium

Dava

There was some open cast coal being moved from the Weardale Branch by Colas using 66s. But think the traffic has now ended.

• RMweb Premium

I think as sad as it sounds a combination of economic factors and environmental sensitivities to coal use mean that coal mining in the UK is ending and also that combusting coal will soon be yesterdays fuel in the UK unless an economically viable means of carbon capture and storage is developed soon. This isn't just about UK mined coal, I think we will see an end to significant coal import flows too as most of the coal we use is used by power stations, a sector which has been moving away from coal for quite a few years.

• RMweb Premium

And then the lights will go out.

Brit15

Unfortunately a coherent energy policy needs long range stability and planning but our political system tends to promote policies which lurch from one election to the next.

• RMweb Premium

There was some open cast coal being moved from the Weardale Branch by Colas using 66s. But think the traffic has now ended.

I believe so, it was only ever going to be for a fairly short time. It's quite frightening just how short the lifetime of some of these things can be with the speed at which it can be extracted.

I don't think that future open cast workings can be ruled out (new deep pits feels very unlikely), but coal doesn't seem to have much of a future beyond niches.

A sad day, nice to see DB Schenker to assign a DBS Red 66 with headboard to the duty. 

Looks like a location possibly to be modelled considering I bet its not changed much since the Big K opened.

There must be a considerable amount of change as there was once an internal railway traffic there as there was a fleet of internal user tippler wagons there! Some of these ended their days at Manvers Main and were easily identified by the red livery and K prefixed numbers! see http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/manversmain/h25b10b31#h25b10b31for some photograps and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/dvlr/h21950c95#h21950c95 for the one that is conserved!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately a coherent energy policy needs long range stability and planning but our political system tends to promote policies which lurch from one election to the next.

The foresight of the CEGB to build the the infrastructure that is now progressively been closed, just isn't there today. In big infrastructure planning, 5 years is a blink of an eye. To a politician its a life time!

Hi

Latest info is all the Machinery is to be left underground.

As I worked there for 13 years a good few years back all heavy equipment would be slung under the cage and lowered steady

then pulled out at bottom of the shaft or vise versa.

Now scrap steel is £40 a ton (rock bottom) it will cost more to remove,

Now there are loco,s under ground and man ridding cars they fit in cage so might come out? Could be sold to overseas??

Hugh 

Hi

I was told that there are nothing left at colliery and that was the last coal train.

The shafts are to be filled in before March.

There could be spoil trains or scrap trains but who knows ,even if they will bother with lifting track?

Hugh

Some of the track to the old Manton Colliery is still in place, viewable from Google earth. It is on private fenced land.

• RMweb Premium

I think as sad as it sounds a combination of economic factors and environmental sensitivities to coal use mean that coal mining in the UK is ending and also that combusting coal will soon be yesterdays fuel in the UK unless an economically viable means of carbon capture and storage is developed soon. This isn't just about UK mined coal, I think we will see an end to significant coal import flows too as most of the coal we use is used by power stations, a sector which has been moving away from coal for quite a few years.

Our 'wise & farsighted government' cancelled carbon capture and storage in the last spending review, costing industrial investors millions. No one will invest in this technology in the UK now. So effectively coal is dead.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Our 'wise & farsighted government' cancelled carbon capture and storage in the last spending review, costing industrial investors millions. No one will invest in this technology in the UK now. So effectively coal is dead.

Dava

I'm not a fan of the current government in many ways (nor several before this one either) but on this particular point I tend to think they made a sensible decision. The CCS funding has been around for years and it has never been allocated to a serious project. E.ON were committed to CCS as part of Kingsnorth 5 & 6 but walked away when it was seen to be politically toxic to be seen to be investing in new coal. Others have touted plans for CCS projects but when it has came to the point where they had to get serious they've had an attack of cold feet. Full size production CCS only really makes sense for a new build plant or a plant being re-engineered to reset its life. Coal just isn't attractive in the UK anymore for a number of reasons. If there was a real economic case for continuing coal then I think we'd see more serious interest in CCS. And despite the claims of some promoting particular CCS technologies there are still huge technical issues to resolve before scaling it up to full size plants and actually knocking out most of the CO2 (for example the land foot print, parasitic load and safety), this is an example of the smart money wanting to be first to be third or fourth and leaving it to somebody else to go through all the pain of finding out what works.

I was working on the waste tips for a week before Christmas, and there was plenty of rail traffic there.

I don't think Big K will disappear overnight though, just with the amount of waste to tip.

I understand that the miners memorial will be moved to the museum nearby, but I think it should be left where it is to remind future generations that Big K was there.

Archived