'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

IF 'Gauge Correction' is designed-in at the start there's no reason it should cost ( much ) more than 00 ....... Bachmann MIGHT have realised this with their wagons already : I've just converted one of their ( Southern ) brakevans and the brakes are perfectly aligned for EM without any mods whatsoever ......................... and when you think how many zillion quid 'the trade' have poured into creating decent models rather than the TOYS we used to have to put up with - surely they don't think they're just catering for the kiddies' trainset market any more ??!? - if they do, they ARE grossly overpriced. ( cue Railroad ............... )

No, there isn't a mainsteam EM/P4 market out there - but, like everything else, if you bring it within reach it can flourish ................. think how many coffee shops there were in your local High Street fifteen years ago - now you can't move for them !

( Moderator : can we have a site that accepts the English spelling of realised, please !!?! )

• RMweb Premium

The trouble with any 'dip toe in water' method of doing a different scale/gauge combination is it will always be up against what people have already. It is practically impossible for any major manufacturer to commit to HO or 18.83 for the long haul as it requires too much money to be risked on what is, in effect, an entirely new range that is practically incompatible with what existing buyers have already, something they certainly aren't going to do at the moment.

However, if a manufacturer or entrepreneur/investor was willing to work with the slow burn, then it might be possible to get a range up and running. Pigs will probably fly before that happens though.

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Bradley say Dec.1962 ....... I don't know about days - more likely weeks running slowly 'cos the driver knew they tended to run hot or weeks sitting around somewhere waiting for repairs 'cos he didn't !

I suspect it went in short 'hops' and probably overnight? I suppose it might have put in 'dead' as part of a slow goods?

I saw one of the Well Tanks in a freight, going east from Plymouth circa 1960/1/2.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

It was usual for the SR to work shunting locos with the rods off,  to or from works in freights. I have a shot of an S15 with a 350hp diesel shunter coupled behind the tender, en route back to Feltham from Eastleigh. I would think the USA went the same way, maybe in a train of empty ballast hoppers going to Meldon.  (CJL)

Model Rail exclusive (Bachmann) Worth Valley No. 72 double-heading - very nicely - with Bachmann's 'Railway Children' 57XX 0-6-0PT on analog DC. Oakworth station has temporarily replaced Medstead on my layout, just for this picture. (CJL) 

post-1062-0-54959800-1460625424_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

nice. Was talking to friend about the real loco. Not sure what colour it is in now, but I think there is more interest in these locos now.

As for HO . Bachmann tried to go other way and had their OO 280 Austerity in Dutch livery. It was  not popular, but I think there would be a market for other HO WW2 locos, in particular all the Austerities, 2-8-0, 2-10-0 and 0-6-0, as well as the Stanier 8F. Then of course the Deans Goods loco, especially as it as 'exported' in WW1 and WW2. I suspect many will be tempted by the planned loco from ROCO S160 in HO .

For military modellers, OO/EM/P4  is nearer to 1/72 scale.

Luckily we do have the Jouef/Rivarossi/Hornby HO version of the USA tank, although it is in original condition.

To add to the controversy over HO versus OO gauges. The old Greenley book I have has a picture of an American OO model which is 19mm gauge!

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Going back to the Meldon question, for a moment, the General Appendix ( Mine's 1960 edition so was probably current at the time - though details wouldn't have changed very rapidly, anyway ! ) stipulates a 25mph MAXIMUM speed for hauling dead locos in freight trains : I don't think the Southern would have been keen for their nice efficient, fully braked bogie ballast hoppers to be loitering at that sort of snail's pace so transit in the local pick-up goods ( or whatever S.R. terminology was ) would have been far more likely.

Of course nowadays they' not dream of taking it by rail and would stick it on a ( road ) low loader - er, probably at somewhat more than 25mph ! ............ mention of 350HP shunters reminds me of a story of such a beast that was sent from - if I remember rightly - Three Bridges to Selhurst by road not very many years ago ....... and then it went back the same way once they'd filled the fuel tank !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-68-0-35442700-1462450953_thumb.jpg

This weekend by kind permission of Bachmann and Model Rail, I'll have the Worth Valley decorated EP at the Derby Exhibition running on 'Albion Yard'. Drop by and take a look.

• Like 5

I do like that the model makers correctly representthe tank bottom to cab bottom relationship: the tank bottom was slightly higher. They may even have captured the characteristic slight mismatch in the verticals of the cab front and tank rear, very evident on many photos. A very characterful job.

The biggest frustration with this model has been the ones that we can't do because - despite lots of tooling variations and separate parts - there are some combinations of detail that we don't have. Virtually no two of them were the same, it seems. Only the other day I was saying to Richard, "It would have been nice to do the Redbridge Sleeper Depot one."

"Can't do it. Wrong details." was the reply. (CJL)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't think there was ever any fear of that. Lima tried HO and then went to OO, Rivarossi (Scot) and Fleischmann (Warship) tried and gave up. (CJL)

Don't forget, too, that Heljan's initial foray into British outline was originally intended to be a Class 37 in HO.

They required (but presumably didn't get) advance orders for 750 split between a choice of three liveries.

The rest is history.

No idea how many of the other 749 everybody else ordered.

John

Traditional model railway manufacturers will always go for scale and gauge which sells best. Luckily there are quite a few locos which are not just British, the USATC tank being one. The Roco Dutch version of BR class 08 is I am told also very good.

I have just completed a 3D printed HO version of an Austerity 060, and intend to look at other locos. The Austerity fits on a Bachmann 03 chassis. The big advantage of 3D printing is that it does not need the big development costs of other models. granted some don't like the plastic, but it is better than nothing, and less work than a kit.

I have one of the new OO models on order, hopefully will have the money just in time. I will find something for it to do, as I do have a few OO projects as well.

Back on HO, Roco are bringing out one of the other WW2 locos in HO, the S160 .

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A shipping sample of the weathered USA has arrived in the Model Rail office. They're getting closer...... (CJL)

Is there a realistic delivery date please for orders to be fulfilled? We are trying to be patient, but it does seem to be dragging out a bit.

Tod

Sorry folks, I should have looked at the Bachmann pages. There is a lot of info, especially on page 17 of the USTC tank topic  Hopefully the implication of them being in a container is hopeful of a very soon appearance!

Tod

Sorry folks, I should have looked at the Bachmann pages. There is a lot of info, especially on page 17 of the USTC tank topic  Hopefully the implication of them being in a container is hopeful of a very soon appearance!

Tod

Sorry but I'm afraid we don't yet have a delivery date. The fact that we've seen a shipping sample suggests that they have been assembled in June, which was the schedule we were given. (CJL)

Tod

if - and it's a fairly big IF - the bulk of production was, indeed, in a container when the samples were airfreighted they might be steaming up the Med by now ............. shame we don't know what name to look for in Shipfinder !

I understand that the production batches of 6 of the liveries are expected to arrive in the UK on August 3. That does not mean that you need to start chasing up delivery but they are getting nearer. (CJL)

Is it a safe bet that that's the first six liveries announced ? ............. life's not always that straightforward !

Is it a safe bet that that's the first six liveries announced ? ............. life's not always that straightforward !

I'm not holding my breath for the first green one. Chris stated a while back that the shade of green was under review, so bearing that in mind, I'm not expecting mine in the first shipment. It would be a nice surprise, though, if it is in there.