big jim's workbench...onto figures and buildings

big jim

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Finally a new page!

had a relaxing evening in the garage doing a few bits and bobs 

first up was glueing the 2 half’s of mentor together and filling the gaps with fine modelling putty 

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5821.jpeg

While that cured I painted up some figures to populate the coach 

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

IMG_5823.jpeg

Which you can just about see though the windows 

IMG_5824.jpeg

a quick put together on the track 

IMG_5825.jpeg

before I took it back apart and rubbed down the putty, gave it a coat of primer to show up any areas that need refilling etc, quite happy with it but it needs a touch more filler on one side 

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

While the paint was in the wet pallate I finished off the rest of the seated figures, just need to choose a couple of coaches to fit them to now

IMG_5828.jpeg

Put the gutters on the workers cottage 

IMG_5829.jpeg

Trying something different on another cottage I’m doing, air drying das clay

IMG_5830.jpeg

rolled out 

IMG_5832.jpeg

And stuck to the front of the building 

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5836.jpeg

3D printed brick roller off eBay 

IMG_5838.jpeg

Building front placed on a flat surface 

IMG_5837.jpeg

and rolled the roller along to create bricks 

IMG_5839.jpeg

Pushed the clay down into the window holes 

IMG_5840.jpeg

started to cut them out with a blade but I think it needs to properly cure before I try the smaller windows as the clay was moving too much, it may or may not actually stick to the wood, if not I’ll strip it off and use brick paper but I thought I’d have a go at something different 

IMG_5841.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The clay on the front of the building has kind of worked, looks a bit rough, will have to see how it looks painted, worst comes to the worst I’ll just chip it back off again!

anyway today I opened up the hattons/accurascale Warwell and side extensions I’d ordered from @Trains4U, thought I’d give them a go instead of using brass as I’ve done on my previous Warwell modifications 

a lovely print with the added bonus of the fillets below deck that I hadn’t bothered modelling 

IMG_6046.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

Superglued in place 

IMG_6049.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

IMG_6050.jpeg

A coat of Vallejo military green as it’s a more Matt finish than the tamia paint, also gave the end a bit of yellow for completeness but I need to mix the correct shade at some point (as I also need to change the yellow ends on the Oxford wagons) 

IMG_6051.jpeg

The MOD train is certainly coming together now, need to order 3 more extensions as well as some chocks from Trains4u and the warwells are done (as well as stealing down the final vehicles)

IMG_6053.jpeg

IMG_6055.jpeg

IMG_6054.jpeg

the containers look better with a variety of colours 

IMG_6052.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Picked up this paint organiser from the model show in Macclesfield last week, comes as a flatpack 

IMG_6057.jpeg

and once glued together (using rocket glue laser cut building glue) makes up a nice rack for 56 Vallejo paint pots 

IMG_6058.jpeg

as I put in the previous post the DAS clay on the front of the laser cut building is ok, not fantastic but it’s stuck to it! 

gave it a coat of white, not bothered about the window surrounds being rough as there are separate bay window frames to go on the front as well as window surrounds on the upper floor 

IMG_6059.jpeg

I’ll add some das to the sides too but may leave it smooth like it’s been rendered 

• Like 3