big jim's workbench...onto figures and buildings

big jim

• RMweb Gold

Another distraction from getting other things finished, got an 800 unit from Trains4u yesterday, absolute bargain, unboxed test train livery driving cars with the extra coaches, all for under £300, one of the driving cars is missing it’s wiper moulding and a bit of roof detailing but other than that spot on

Of course im wanting to make an 805  unit, one of the driving cars was simple enough to change, merely remove the Hitachi logos from the side 

BD7B166D-1FEE-4D8A-BFC3-6D98192BCA09.jpe

The second one was a bit more colourful!

C23DC708-691B-4B88-8C68-3B528CA7F78A.jpe

534DAF00-252A-4A3C-9187-9CA84597501E.jpe

took me a while but I managed to t-cut the red printing off which left the white intact so I’ve not got to repaint it at all

79EBE925-78EC-4D13-B74F-A94464417420.jpe

51CF99C5-DEC5-4F06-B9E8-075B78AC2299.jpe

masked up the nose cone and leading door 

5BE56B2C-1D25-4AA6-93AC-409E18A3E13F.jpe

Painted out the yellow ends with revell flat black and the door with revell ‘NATO Black’ which is really more grey, matches the other door fine to my eye, sightless darker but barely noticeable  

613B4312-84AC-4479-A8DB-46996A25A8E1.jpe

Other powercar black ends 

6B57CA84-2D06-43A4-A3B8-54E3F269D757.jpe

Waiting to see if railtec can do me some numbers, I’m going to do 805003 as that the first one I drove, also need to redo the orange cant line on the ex red driving car as that came off with the printing, the white driving car is fine

Final job is change a pair of blanked off windows in the first class end to look like normal windows (only 2 blanked off on an 805) and vice versa with a single window in one of the centre cars, that needs blanking off 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Back to the 805, masked off the window and painted it flat black to represent the window

IMG_2979.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

nice little bonus with the 805, turns out it’s DCC chipped! 

Remembered about my 37418, needed the buffer beam changing from red to black

IMG_2986.jpeg

IMG_2987.jpeg

decalled and named 86101

IMG_2988.jpeg

Class 90 bogies, awful pantograph! 
IMG_2989.jpeg

Put the modelu figures on the various 009 locos, secured with a dab of glue and glaze as it dries clear, I need to dull down the Hunslet driver, it says flat black but the finish is a bit too shiny

IMG_2981.jpeg

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_2984.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg

IMG_2983.jpeg

Once I’d done that lot I had a play with the layout, see my other thread for a video

Edited by big jim
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next item in the workbench courtesy of @CovDriver  classified ad is a Dutch livery class 73

IMG_3087.jpeg

ordered some new numbers from @railtec-models to turn it into 73119 in GBRF retro, they both came in the same post which was handy!

IMG_3088.jpeg

hoping the depot plaques will come off without too much of a struggle, col says they may be held in with a dab of superglue so I may need to touch it up a touch but I’ll have to just wait and see 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Finally got round to renumbering the above 73, well kind of….

Had to get the etched depot plaques off which I then discovered had printed versions underneath 

IMG_3330.jpeg

rubbed them off and left the etched arrows on at the other end 

IMG_3331.jpeg

looked at some prototype pics of the real thing and noticed the current arrows are a lot smaller so I ended up taking the etched ones off and rubbing the printed ones off too ready for the new decals 

Is this a printing error, a single new style OHLE flash whereas the rest are old type?

IMG_3332.jpeg

I then noticed on the prototype pics that the roof is a completely different colour, so I masked it off and painted it dark grey, humbrol 19 was about right to my eye, I think it may be the same grey as the lower body side on the real thing but the pics on Flickr vary depending on the lighting 

IMG_3333.jpeg

Painted the air cocks and electric sockets as well as the lamp irons 

IMG_3334.jpeg

And the lock tabs and lifting lugs 

IMG_3335.jpeg

Unmasked 

IMG_3337.jpeg

ready for the decals 

IMG_3336.jpeg

I then decided to paint some 3D printed items, couple more foxhounds, quad bike and Bob Ross 

IMG_3329.jpeg

Foxhound 

IMG_3338.jpeg

Quad bike, thought I’d do this in army green colours 

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3342.jpeg

Bob Ross 

IMG_3343.jpeg

Cruel close up 

IMG_3345.jpeg

Of course I also had to paint a landscape on the canvas!

IMG_3346.jpeg

IMG_3348.jpeg

IMG_3347.jpeg

A productive evening in all

IMG_3349.jpeg

Just got to tidy up the foxhounds wheels a bit where the black has gone on the hubs, then paint the windows and mud guards and add a bit of mud to the tyres 

might try and get the decals on the 73 tomorrow too

Edited by big jim
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Back to the 73 and decals on, I’ve used decal fix on these as I’ve not had much success with the 3D printed plates staying on some of my other locos (saying that I hadn’t varnished over them) 

IMG_3380.jpeg

IMG_3381.jpeg

The only thing I did, and despite @railtec-models supplying 3 of each decals in case of mistakes was manage to make a mess of the number on one side, twice! 

IMG_3382.jpeg

after the decals I painted the steps silver and bogie grab handles and axle boxes yellow, the springs are red on the real thing but they look a pain to get to on the model so I might leave them 

IMG_3383.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

pleased with it, just need to sort out the missing number somehow!

as well as that I had a pair of plux 22 chips arrive off eBay so I’ve chipped up my harry needle 20s and finished off the foxhounds and quad bike with muddy tyres and a light underframe weathering 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Painted some figures this evening, got a stack to do but I’m not happy with how the first few have come out, I don’t know what I’ve done differently but the top coats haven’t gone on very well, maybe I should have left them to stand in primer a bit longer that I did 

Ready to prime 

IMG_4047.jpeg

And done 

IMG_4048.jpeg

Couple of modelu drivers and some scale3D cyclists and Michael knight

IMG_4051.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg

The bikes were very fine prints and a couple of bits broke off such as the bottom of a wheel and handlebar but they look ok finished 

IMG_4054.jpeg

The grey bike is based on my current racer and the orange one my former Whyte hybrid! 
IMG_4053.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Finished the figures, the ‘fun’ and modelu is already started I finished with my existing paints, and the modelu ones Id only primed I finished with some new warhammer paints, I think the issue I’ve had with the paint not sticking or pulling is I used railmatch enamel primer on them which isn’t compatible with the acrylic paint I used

cyclists and hot dog seller 

IMG_4084.jpeg

Michael knight and the A team 

IMG_4085.jpeg

Drivers, I fitted these to the 805 and NMT but forgot to take pics of the assembled locos 

IMG_4086.jpeg

IMG_4091.jpeg

Bessie 

IMG_4087.jpeg

fitted to my pink and GB rainbow 66s

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

The next 4 figures were done using the warhammer paints, they were already primed with the wrong enamel paint but the finish seems a lot better, be interesting to see how the next lot of figures I do using the correct primer will come out 

rapido lion crew

IMG_4094.jpeg

added a touch of mig weathering powder to them to bring out the creases in the trousers etc 

IMG_4097.jpeg

On the loco, in place with a bit of pva (yet to dry in the pics)

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4099.jpeg

J70 crew

IMG_4095.jpeg

again with a touch of weathering powder 

IMG_4096.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got a couple more Oxford warflats for my MOD train 

Out of the box

IMG_4356.jpeg

It’s lacking yellow ends and a bit of general detailing

IMG_4357.jpeg

masked it off and primed up the ends 

IMG_4358.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

painted the buffers 

IMG_4360.jpeg

Yellowed up the ends 

IMG_4361.jpeg

had little bit of bleed on the primer so I had to paint a bit of green too!

IMG_4363.jpeg

Much better looking in my opinion 

IMG_4364.jpeg

loaded with a foxhound
IMG_4365.jpeg

2 more to paint up, going to give them a light weathering too, I think I need to remove the chains from the deck as the modern warwells don’t seem to have them fitted, I’ll glue the foxhounds to the deck and ‘strap’ them down, I think I’ve got some trains4U wheelchocks somewhere

makes up a nice little train with the @Trains4U warflat and EWS VGA, I did run it with a Dapol container flat with boxes on but it wouldn’t get round the curves as the 2 platforms were too close, I don’t know if they originally came with a longer coupling bar 

IMG_4370.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

One thing that has really been annoying me about the Oxford warwells is quite simply they are the wrong colour, far too light, compare it to the warflat 

IMG_4464.jpeg

I’ve got some humbrol olive green which I checked looked right by putting a spot of it on the warflat, pretty damn close, you can’t see it!

IMG_4465.jpeg

So I gave the green deck the once over as well as removing the chains 

IMG_4466.jpeg

then very carefully gave the sides a coat, using a fine brush painted around the writing as close as I dared! 
IMG_4467.jpeg

Certainly looks a lot different to an out of the box model!

IMG_4468.jpeg

a good colour match with the warflat 

IMG_4469.jpeg

Weathered down the wooden deck 

IMG_4470.jpeg

Glued a foxhound to it 

IMG_4471.jpeg

Made some straps from Tamia masking tape, got to shorten them down once the pva has dried, may give them a coat of orange 

IMG_4472.jpeg

One down two to go! 
IMG_4473.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

2nd one finished, weathered the deck on this one a bit more than the first one 

IMG_4475.jpeg

Foxhound glued in place 

IMG_4476.jpeg

For the straps I’ve used strips of plastistruct superglued to the bumper and fixing points of the wagon 

IMG_4477.jpeg

a coat of yellow 

IMG_4478.jpeg

using some weathering pencils I put a light sheen of gunmetal on the ramps and highlighted a few raised bits with a red primer pencil where paint has worn off 

IMG_4479.jpeg

I’m going to change the straps on the first wagon to match the second as it’s far more robust 

I’ve already painted the yellow ends and deck of the third wagon, just got the sides to paint on that one and glue the foxhound to it and it’s done 

starting to look like a decent train now

IMG_4480.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

3rd warwell finished, foxhound glued down and straps made up, the final wagon to be done is the warflat with the 2 Trains4u vehicles, got to glue them down and make straps for them (need to order a load of T4U chocks for all the vehicles too)

IMG_4738.jpeg

IMG_4737.jpeg

then I went back to my class 50 with its removed gearing

IMG_4731.jpeg

I managed to get a set of gears for it from eBay so I set about refitting them only to discover that when the previous owner removed the gears they also took out the metal pins that held them in place!

I experimented with a off cuts of plastic sprues from some 3D printed figures, pushing them through the holes and placing the gears over them

IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

The sprue plastic isn’t very strong so I’m not going to use it but will pop to my local model shop to see what Albion metal rod he has of a similar diameter to the Hornby part and make the spindles myself from that 

as I couldn’t do any more with that I went on to painting some figures

this lot I primed with warhammer figure primer which went on lovely 

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

for the topcoat I have used Vallejo and warhammer acrylics and they have gone on so much better than the previous lot on which I used the wrong primer

ive really got into painting figures now, quite therapeutic, before I knew it about 3 hours had passed!

all these figures are from scale 3D 

IMG_4740.jpeg

some very cruel close ups, noticed a few areas that need touching up in the photos but I’m really happy with them

man on phone, skinny jeans, obligatory brogues and no socks!

IMG_4747.jpeg

Man with a camcorder, the viewfinder bit snapped off though 

IMG_4746.jpeg

Tracksuit and backpack man 

IMG_4748.jpeg

Photographer 

IMG_4743.jpeg

Girl taking selfie, unfortunately her other hand broke off 

IMG_4742.jpeg

milf (based on one of the mums on the school run!) 

IMG_4741.jpeg

Nicholas cage 

IMG_4749.jpeg

as I say some need touching up, I really need to look at methods of highlighting the facial features, I’ve got some warhammer flesh tone wash but when I put that on I think it makes the figures worse as they just end up looking dirty 

Going to get some more figures ordered to practice on soon though 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the figures, had some more delivered form scale3D rhis time via eBay 

they are a different plastic than before, a bit more forgiving should you be a bit heavy handed with them, I didnt lose any hands or feet etc when removing them from the sprues, quite flexible compared to modelu figures though 

IMG_4833.jpeg

I treated myself to some more Vallejo paint and washes from the Amazon warehouse to see how I do as I liked using the last lot 

IMG_4836.jpeg

also got myself a wet pallate to keep the paint fresher longer, very impressed with it, wet the sponge base, add a sheet of wax paper and the paint will stay moist meaning I can use less

IMG_4835.jpeg

most of the paint was on there for a good 6 hours and was all useable until I threw the paper away at the end 

IMG_4837.jpeg

Primed up using warhammer primer 

IMG_4834.jpeg

After doing that another Amazon bargain arrived, an led magnifying lamp, £20 from the returns department 

IMG_4838.jpeg

Onto the figures. Cruel close ups again and I’ve not highlighted any facial features as I need to watch a few YouTube vids and read some articles on how to do it effectively as I seem to make a mess of it and make the faces look unwashed when I’ve tried in the past!

Mr Bean

IMG_4843.jpeg

Hermes delivery man 

IMG_4844.jpeg

Footy fan, got to tone down the tattoos 

IMG_4842.jpeg

Batman, this one has a separate cape but I need to try and highlight the outfit ‘ruts’  and belt before I stick it on 

IMG_4841.jpeg

Old man having a cuppa 

IMG_4840.jpeg

Police horse, again I need to highlight the horses sheen and muscle structure but I’m not sure how

IMG_4849.jpeg

The Beatles crossing the road 

IMG_4845.jpeg

IMG_4847.jpeg

pretty pleased with them in general, the Vallejo paint is lovely to use, not tried the washes yet as, as I say that’s what messes up my figures as I’m not doing it right 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There was a scale model show on today in my lads school in Nantwich so we went along for a look, I wanted to get some fine brushes and possibly get some advice on figure painting, which I managed to get so I bought myself a small bust of my wife’s fave Henry Cavell to have a go at painting and detailing up, quite pleased with how it came out for a first go

IMG_4938.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

I then decided to build a laser cut building that’s been sat in my cupboard since a pre lockdown warley show!

it’s from petite properties and is a nice simple low relief workers cottage, I was going to do it red brick but realised that the brick paper I have is 0 gauge so I finished it in rustic stone, I made a bit of a mess cutting round the door and window apertures and very nearly gave it up as a bad job but I managed to tidy it up a bit so it’s not too noticeable, I painted the edges black around the windows but changed it to white to look like pvc frames which made a big difference and gave me a bit more confidence to carry on 

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4943.jpeg

the roof is time consuming as each strip of tiles is individual to be glued down one at a time, they are very thin laser cut card

IMG_4944.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

got one small end to do before giving it a coat of primer and top coat then a wash etc 

IMG_4946.jpeg

going to have to do some studying to see how to weather it effectively, really not got a clue! 

I’ve got to finish the chimney stacks and pots and I’m going to get hold of some guttering and downpipes, also looking at how to make the likes of electric meter boxes and EV chargers to bring the building up to date, also need to add curtains and door furniture etc

quite pleased with it so far  

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Finished the roof and painted it up, light grey with a black wash over the top, added the chimneys and lead flashing 

IMG_4971.jpeg

painted the curtains and nets 

IMG_4970.jpeg

I was going to get some plastic ridge tiles but decided to make some out of card instead

IMG_4972.jpeg

Which I painted grey ready to weather done but they looked a bit flat and lack lustre 

IMG_4973.jpeg

So I added strips of plastistruct 2 tiles apart to make the bridges between individual tiles 

IMG_4974.jpeg

Which look so much better, only done one side so far, also painted the flashing, did it grey then added a touch of green before dry brushing grey I’ve the top again to soften down the colours 

IMG_4975.jpeg

Need to get some guttering when the model shop opens on Wednesday 

IMG_4976.jpeg

and find the missing window sill that pinged off somewhere! 

• Like 10

• big jim changed the title to big jim's workbench...onto figures and buildings
  • RMweb Gold

Little bit more on the building, got some barge boards and guttering to fit but I couldn’t find my primer to give them a coating before fitting so I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to do that so I started to add some ivy instead

IMG_5072.jpeg

Had a parcel arrive today from of eBay, cavalex barrier wagons which were actually from @pitbull1845 

IMG_5073.jpeg

which means my 4 Bachmann TEAs that I decalled up last year are now surplus to requirements so I decided to paint 2 of them up to put back on eBay 

IMG_5075.jpeg

I painted the first one with smoky ink colour as it looked right on the pallet but when I brushed it on it appeared it was very thin, almost a wash 

IMG_5076.jpeg

so I switched to light brown which went on great 

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5078_wAqsFWa33KiBC6k4RvB7S1.jpeg

a nice close match to the cavalex wagon

IMG_5079_7wYXxtEAEgTBGFfLTXCcup.jpeg

Painted the barrel sides

IMG_5080_qyrnrmKj656Vn7Zu3BNjrL.jpeg

Looking alright to my eye 

IMG_5081_9oZTSonWf3iS7QFAAsS7TC.jpeg

I then added some darker brown patches 

IMG_5083_kQWL2sTaAVNw2grtbsqpvD.jpeg

IMG_5082_goxFi8HT7p3fLkJuxA1qWK.jpeg

IMG_5084_sNmGDmKbJ9nCZUMWP2oWP8.jpeg

going to weather the under frames a bit and shove em on eBay and see what I can get for them as a ‘neverwazza’ pair of barriers 

IMG_5085_w2HFaGsP7aHmYEU3C4aTd3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next little project, 2 more foxhounds for my hattons warwells and 30 legless 3d printed passengers 

IMG_5329.jpeg

Primed and ready to paint 

IMG_5333.jpeg

going to modify my warwells with the extra width platforms too

Another little painting experiment, a 3D printed slate waiting room 

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5332.jpeg

I put some pva glue on the ends and front of the building then wiped it all off the slate face with a cloth leaving the glue in the recesses, I then sprinkled some green flock over the ends which of course settled in between the blocks, quite pleased with it, you can see the difference between the end and non treated rear wall

IMG_5331.jpeg

Off tomorrow so I might be able to do a little bit more in the evening 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Back to the figures, separated from the printing base and placed ready to paint (not all of them)

IMG_5450.jpeg

faces and skin first 

IMG_5452.jpeg

then the clothes 

IMG_5457.jpeg

IMG_5458.jpeg

Did the foxhounds green this time 

IMG_5449.jpeg

Used the Vallejo paints instead, a much better Matt finish than the tamia paints I’d used on the tank thingy 

IMG_5459.jpeg

IMG_5460.jpeg

I then added deck extensions to my warwells 

IMG_5461.jpeg

0.5mm thick brass strips 1.5mm wide glued to the edges of the platform

IMG_5464.jpeg

IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5467.jpeg

still got to add plasticard strengthening braces below deck and the buffer covers 

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5468.jpeg

A quick coat of olive green to see how it looks, quite happy with it, needs a touch of weathering to blend in with what I’ve already done to the wagon 

IMG_5469.jpeg

Also did a hattons/accurascale version too

IMG_5471.jpeg

In a train next to the hattons wagon

IMG_5472.jpeg

And a Birds Eye comparison between the modified and unmodified Oxford wagons, is it worth the effort, not really sure yet!!

IMG_5473.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

First hattons/accurascale Warwell finished, painted the extensions and added the buffer plates, I’m going to be lazy and not bother with the underside bracing as it’s barely noticeable from normal viewing levels

The end plates I made from an old slaters sprue

IMG_5483.jpeg

Mixed up some yellow paint with a spot of red wash to get a match for the existing yellow buffer beam 

IMG_5484.jpeg

gave the deck a light weathering of earth where the tyre tracks have been and a black wash all over 

Added a foxhound 

IMG_5485.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

One down 5 to go 

IMG_5487.jpeg

Quite a difference in width between a standard width wagon and a modified one 

IMG_5489.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another warwell done bar the straps on the vehicle

IMG_5591.jpeg

coming together nicely now, one more hattons and 2 more Oxford to go!

IMG_5592.jpeg

I’ve also painted one of the side door containers green to break up the colours a bit, going to do one more

IMG_5593.jpeg

if anyone can find a picture of a blue painted side door container in military use then that would be appreciated, I’ve looked all over Flickr and google but can only see them in normal use

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

Looking good Jim! where did you buy the MOD side opening containers from? The look great!

they are from scale model scenery 

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/lx177-oo-mod-20ft-side-opening-shipping-container-kit-pack-of-2-oo4mm176-1858-p.asp

they seem to have gone up in price a lot, I certainly didn’t pay £20 a pair when I bought them! 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Found another project I’d started but forgot about, Mentor from @LMSfan72 that I’d primed up but put away about 12 months ago!

IMG_5793.jpeg

painted up the interior print ready to fit when I glue the 2 parts of the coach together, as I used to work mentor I had some interior pics to get the colours somewhere near, they are a bit brighter so they will be a bit more visible through the windows 

IMG_5795.jpeg

IMG_5794.jpeg

Next up is glue the 2 parts of the coach together then fill the gap with fine modeller’s putty before a rub down and paint, not sure when I’ll do that as I need to find my airbrush, something else missing since before lockdown!

what’s the best glue to use on 3d printed parts?

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

Hi Jim

making sure the two surfaces are lined up and held in place and in line, I sprinkle with very fine talcum powder into the the joint, use a fine brush to get it into the gaps.

Super glue on a cocktail stick - touch onto the talcum powder along the bottom edge of the coach, not the front it gets pulled in by capillary action, it does require a fine hand.

Produces a very tough composite when hardened, which can be sanded down and primed.

On the internal side prepare some superglue mixed with talcum powder - it makes a paste which sets fast but you can build a thick, tough layer across the internal seam. Again this is really tough - you may need a Dremel to sand it down

Obviously try elsewhere first before trying on Mentor

• Like 1