Expo EM 2016

Blue Max

....The stewards had opened the fire doors on Saturday to let some air circulate but that is only a small compensation. ....

The doors were wide open on the Sunday. There didn't seem to be that many people attending, so circulation was actually quite free.

The cafeteria staff seemed to be a very unhappy lot!

I operated both days and didn't have a problem with the temperature and nobody else I spoke to complained.

As to personal hygiene, I had a shower both days so hopefully it wasn't me.

The catering was in the hands of some pre-pubescent boys who were a bit clueless. It needed an adult to manage the place.

In terms of getting all your (supplier) ducks in a row, you can't fault a show like this, though.

Even David Geen was there, so I was able to obtain that long sought-after underframe etch for the Siphon.

I really wanted to buy one of the loco kits from the Steam Age stand for old times' sake, seeing as they are now retiring, and very tempting prices they were once again but, having spent a lot at Brassmasters, I couldn't really risk another one the same day. If anybody's got their current contact details, though, it might be an idea for later (and hopefully not too late!)

EDIT: got them now.

I am sure it doesn't apply to anyone on RMWeb but one particular individual at the show pushed into me from the right while I was standing admiring Narrow Road and without an apology proceeded to stick his camera within 6 inches of my face as he tried to film a train emerging from the station at my left. He continued in that position for several minutes until I placed a hand in front of the lens and glared at him. A look that he thought better of contesting.

This reminds me of the only time I've "lost it" at an exhibition - Manchester many years ago with a then well known "magazine man" - he more or less did the same as in Kentons case - barged in and let off a very powerful Metz in my face. I'm afraid at that point it got a little physical and the camera ended up on the floor. Not something I'm overly proud of but this fella quite frankly needed to know what good manners were all about.

Its unnecessary - only recently my wife experienced bad manners and ignorance from a club official at an exhibition such that she will now longer accompany me to future events.

You find them in all walks of life I guess.

Even David Geen was there, so I was able to obtain that long sought-after underframe etch for the Siphon.

Siphon sold so well, David even ran out of instruction sheets. As I had to go to London on Sunday, I delivered him some more.

I had no intention of going to Bracknell but I am glad I did as it was a big wake up call for me. Lots of temptation but I did not buy anything that day. Why? Having already exceeded the 'will I live long enough to build this lot', I have got to the stage of not really needing any more kits. Seeing Metropolitan Junction reminded me to stop worrying about livery shades, correct vac cylinders and building even more stock I do not have room for and just have some fun running the layout. I have run the layout more, this week, because of 'Metropolitan Junction' than in the past three months.

Now I am going to log off and go and run a couple of locos that have not seen daylight this year so far.

Mike Wiltshire

Archived