Expo EM 2016

Blue Max

Bracknell - not my favourite place but there are worse. We did try to find another pub beside the Weatherspoons. After an hour or walking, we found they do exist but one looked rather rough and the other was for people 40 years younger than us. We did manage to find a curry house on the Saturday, in amongst the scaffolding, and we were wonderfully entertained by the owner. The hotel is excellent.

In my old Met Office days I seem to remember there were three pubs my colleagues used to frequent:

The Old Manor, opposite Bracknell & Wokingham College

The Running Horse, on the A329 next to Bracknell Rugby Club

The Boot, Park Road, Bracknell

After 2 1/2 years, the USB socket on my phone is a bit dodgy (it will only charge with certain cables now, and getting it to talk to the computer is very cable, and luck dependent) - I often revert to sending pictures to my laptop via bluetooth.

Right, I've managed to get the USB connector to behave for now, so ExpoEM album contents here

Picture quality is not exactly the best - this is supposed to be a 13mp camera, but I will have to stop using the zoom function on this Xiaomi phone because it results in the awful watery-looking outlines that I haven't seen since the days of the Nokia 3.2mp cameraphones.

I did have my Fuji digicam with me, but didn't use it because it doesn't react well to some leisure centre lighting conditions. Using flash results in heavily-shadowed photos, which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.

Right, I've managed to get the USB connector to behave for now, so ExpoEM album contents here

Picture quality is not exactly the best - this is supposed to be a 13mp camera, but I will have to stop using the zoom function on this Xiaomi phone because it results in the awful watery-looking outlines that I haven't seen since the days of the Nokia 3.2mp cameraphones.

I did have my Fuji digicam with me, but didn't use it because it doesn't react well to some leisure centre lighting conditions. Using flash results in heavily-shadowed photos, which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve.

Some nice photos Ivan, but as regards the 'parking standards' surely the VW Bora driver should have parked over just a bit to let the Peugot driver get out easier...

All the best,

Dave Franks.

It was great to see it over the weekend.

When I get chance I'll upload the photos I took of it to the yahoo group.

Kelly,

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing MJ, I look forward to seeing your photos.

I already uploaded some to the Y-G, from the camera of Karl Mitchell

regards,

Rodney Hills

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed Saturday on the DEMU stand at ExpoEM though I didn't get chance to speak to everyone! Brighton East is lovely as usual, but I really liked The Mill and Hebble Vale - great examples of grim industrial modelling!

Cheers, Mike

Horsetan,

Nice pictures.

Is it possible that we could have copies of. the Met Jct ones on our Yahoo Groups photos area?

If yes, either..

please load them into a new folder yourself,

or can I just get them from RMweb?

regards, Rodney Hills

Agree entirely about the use of flash, best to use ambient light. Does your Fuji Digicam have the ability to filter the light? If it does change to the tungsten light setting, I think you'll find it an improvement, except when taking pictures of Cornwallis Yard which is very blue!

Regards

Indeed, I was in a mobility scooter there for both days this year. Makes it so much less painful on my back :-)

The dreaded 'contraption' with the 3 ton battery....  :O

Seriously though the photos you take are always interesting compared to mine as they are taken from your lower viewpoint- in many case this reveals new and unseen views of the layouts.

Agree on the quality of the show- excellent and one where I feel comfortable and secure- no mean task considering I can get anxious +++ if there are more than 3 people about. The hotel was completely crazy- to find that we had been given a suite was most unexpected but certainly helped us both to chill and recover fully (ie take appropriate pain killers, apply bits of hot gel to various bits and bobs etc) in order to enjoy both days fully.

Thanks to the organisers and all involved in stewarding, layouting etc- your hard work is very much appreciated- it beats the 'commercial' shows like Ally Pally hands down. Can't wait for ExpoEM North (and Showcase and Railex too!!)

Nice! Were you the lady in the wheelchair I met at The Mill?

Regards

Kelly is no lady- just listen to her blow her nose. My mum's dog jumped and went on the alert when she heard Kelly- over the phone in the background. My life has been all the better for knowing Kelly- a genuine person and indeed my best friend.

Kelly is no lady- just listen to her blow her nose. My mum's dog jumped and went on the alert when she heard Kelly- over the phone in the background. My life has been all the better for knowing Kelly- a genuine person and indeed my best friend.

Well I did get the impression that Kelly is a genuine person and not some droid! It's interesting that, at least part, your definition of a lady is one who blows her nose silently. My personal preference has always been for women rather than ladies, but there you go.

Are you the person who was with her at expoEM?

The dreaded 'contraption' with the 3 ton battery....  :O

Seriously though the photos you take are always interesting compared to mine as they are taken from your lower viewpoint- in many case this reveals new and unseen views of the layouts.

Agree on the quality of the show- excellent and one where I feel comfortable and secure- no mean task considering I can get anxious +++ if there are more than 3 people about. The hotel was completely crazy- to find that we had been given a suite was most unexpected but certainly helped us both to chill and recover fully (ie take appropriate pain killers, apply bits of hot gel to various bits and bobs etc) in order to enjoy both days fully.

Thanks to the organisers and all involved in stewarding, layouting etc- your hard work is very much appreciated- it beats the 'commercial' shows like Ally Pally hands down. Can't wait for ExpoEM North (and Showcase and Railex too!!)

The battery only weighs about 10-15Kg... just be glad you don't have to lift it in/out of the boot, though it does break down further which makes it far easier than the previous one.

They do get a unique perspective I find. Usually at 'eye level' of the layout so to speak, so can get some interesting shots. I by no means think of myself as much in the way of a photographer, I just try to record the day to some extent, though I think they've improved with practice. I certainly notice the difference between not having the scooter and having it in terms of number of photos taken, though at some shows and some layouts it is virtually impossible to view or photograph layouts due to problems of height (some are set far too high) and packed crowd effect. ExpoEM manages to avoid most of these issues I find, with lots of room between traders/layouts and careful thought given to the placement it seems, although the lack of lift access to the balcony area for the Members Sales area is a nuisance, requiring abandoning the scooter, but I recognise it is difficult to work around sadly.

Oi! it was for dramatic effect knowing your mum was on the phone and Brakken would hear it ;)

Well I did get the impression that Kelly is a genuine person and not some droid! It's interesting that, at least part, your definition of a lady is one who blows her nose silently. My personal preference has always been for women rather than ladies, but there you go.

Are you the person who was with her at expoEM?

There are some days where I feel I'd prefer to be a droid, replacement parts would improve matters lol ;) but nice to be thought of as genuine. Another aspect of the type of show ExpoEM is I find, that the atmosphere is so much more relaxed and friendly. That social aspect is something bigger shows only wish they had really and a very good reason why I like attending shows like ExpoEM.

I think you'll find Natalie was being humurous for my benefit really, nothing meant by it really.

And, yes, Natalie was the friend with me, short with blonde hair.

Agree entirely about the use of flash, best to use ambient light. Does your Fuji Digicam have the ability to filter the light? If it does change to the tungsten light setting, I think you'll find it an improvement, except when taking pictures of Cornwallis Yard which is very blue!

Regards

I found the only layout I had trouble with lighting was St Merryn really, it seems to have a lot less in the way of lighting compared to some of the others, which the venue lighting didn't help with in terms of lighting for camera use. Though overall the lighting was fairly decent both days I found for the most part, certainly when compared to the nightmare that is the NEC's sodium lighting which makes everything a yellowy-orange, even with settings altered accordingly I find.

the venue lighting didn't help

Interesting observation.

When we arrived on the Sunday we had a heart-stopping moment when absolutely nothing worked.  It took a couple of panic-stricken minutes for us to realise the venue's lighting was so good we hadn't realised the layouts lighting wasn't on because we hadn't plugged anything in!

Interesting observation.

When we arrived on the Sunday we had a heart-stopping moment when absolutely nothing worked.  It took a couple of panic-stricken minutes for us to realise the venue's lighting was so good we hadn't realised the layouts lighting wasn't on because we hadn't plugged anything in!

Please don't think I'm critisising the layout as I thought it was fantastic. Just my camera seemed to struggle with it compared to the others, might have been a combination of factors I suspect.

No!  I didn't for one moment think you were criticising the layout!  I was simply making the point that you found the venue's lighting caused problems with photography while we found it so good we failed to realise the layout's lighting wasn't on.

I find St Merryn's lighting to be a problem too. Very yellow and very contrasty. Having said that it is a brilliant model railway, very good indeed.

Regards

I don't recall that being a problem to the normal observer - perhaps it is simply a problem with camera/lens for those taking photos. I like the lighting at Bracknell and it is far better lit than some of the shows I have attended, where without layout lighting some layouts just needn't have bothered attending.

I am sure it doesn't apply to anyone on RMWeb but one particular individual at the show pushed into me from the right while I was standing admiring Narrow Road and without an apology proceeded to stick his camera within 6 inches of my face as he tried to film a train emerging from the station at my left. He continued in that position for several minutes until I placed a hand in front of the lens and glared at him. A look that he thought better of contesting.

I don't normally have n issue with people taking photos but sometimes I think that they should adopt a position somewhere on the other side of the planet rather than obstructing the enjoyment of show visitors who have come to the show to use their eyes to view the exhibits.

But I guess it is just like rucksacks with all their camera gear and purchases sticking out; the unfortunate lack of use of ample deodorants; groups of individuals blocking gangways or obstructing layouts while discussing the prowess of bag of wind kickers, simply something we have to put up with.

.....the unfortunate lack of use of ample any deodorants....

There was unfortunately one of those on the Sunday - it did make me wonder whether he was actually slowly decomposing as he walked round the hall.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as my memory of ExpoEM in the year (2000, I think it was) that they were forced to put on the show at the North Watford Leisure Centre in Garston when Bletchley was unavailable. That place was dreadful - the interior walls were more or less black, and there was very little in the way of ventilation on what was a very warm day, so that exacerbated the odour of the few individuals who really reeked. That was also the year when they had problems with the catering, so no hot food. There were bags of crisps on sale, marked "Multibag pack. not to be sold separately" !!  :jester:

There was unfortunately one of those on the Sunday - it did make me wonder whether he was actually slowly decomposing as he walked round the hall.

Possibly the same individual who was there early on Saturday and had matured a little by Sunday taking advantage of the two day admission ticket. I am well aware that there are medical conditions that can contribute to this affliction but there are treatments available. The Bracknell venue does suffer quite a bit from the heat generated within the hall. The stewards had opened the fire doors on Saturday to let some air circulate but that is only a small compensation. I wouldn't want to be an operator there as it must add to the exhausting effect of doing the show.

I have to say that it was an operator who made my nose twitch rather than a spectator (I'll not identify the layout) just to point out it is not just the great unwashed public who have this problem.

Despite these things, I'll be back next year as it was still a great expo.

Archived