7mm Corrugated Iron

BG John

I know this topic has come up before, but from what I remember, it seems that the Ambis corrugated iron from Hobby Holidays was recommended. Unfortunately it was out of stock at the time I read that, and is out of stock now too, so I assume it's not available.

So what's the best source of it, as I'm about to start on a Colonel Stephens station building? I'll be using plasticard for the structure, so Slaters would probably be easiest to work with, but does it look right? I want to cut the parts on my Silhouette Portrait, so a thin overlay would be better than something thick. I don't really want to make my own at the moment, as life is too short, and I've got too much modelling to catch up on!

The alternative is to build it in card and scale up the printed 4mm Scalescenes version, but I'd rather not.

Hi John

Have you considered corrugated cardboard as available from artists and craft shops?

Nice and cheap compared with plastic and other materials.

Hobbycraft do two ranges - the kids range is cheap and cheerful - info here:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/hobbycraft-a4-corrugated-card-3-sheet-pack/562827-1000#product_description-tab

Their more expensive Corduroy card has a smaller pitch - info here:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/corduroy-harvest-card/563116-1000#product_description-tab

If you have a local artists' supplies shop they, like one close to me, may sell by the sheet - expect to pay less than £1 per sheet.

Regards.

John,

We recently purchased some aluminium corrugated sheet from the States, but it's v expensive (around £50 for a building), I can sort out a link when I find it, but it's really only useful for small quantities. The plastic sheets are o'k. but are really too thick, I used to have some that had been vac-formed, and was only around 5 thou thick, but haven't seen it around in recent years.

Metalsmith do it, but it's out of stock at the moment

http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/corrugated-steel-sheet-CSS.htm

have you also considered making your own?

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm

Peter

If you go the cardboard route, use Jim Read's trick of giving it a coat of french polish (shellac and meths).

Serves to harden it and give you a non porous base for watercolours and or acryllics.

You can apply with an airbrush and running meths through should clean it afterwards.

I usually bung some colour and or pigments into the mix to add to the fun.

Works for me :)

• RMweb Gold

I have seen people use the sides of tin cans often things like baked beans it's a very similar profile. There is usually 2 sections between the flat parts it cuts easily with tin snips or strong scissors and usually solders to.

Have you considered making your own?... make a pattern, male and female...this can be done a number of ways...easier if you have a mill and suitable ball nose cutter but it could also be done with a router. Machine 2 pieces of MDF board with the right sized groves using a ball nose cutter, unsure that the spacing is the same for both. Get some thin pewter sheet ( available from hobby suppliers) and squeeze it between the two patterns in a vice...result perfect corrugated sheet for your chosen scale. Not only does this look like the real thing with the correct colour but it bends like the real thing too....you can make some very realistic models using this technique ....

Pete

Thanks for the suggestions. Some aren't currently available, and some are only available from other countries. Others I'd like to see before buying, but are sold at places I'm unlikely to get to!

have you also considered making your own?

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm

Peter

This one looks interesting. I e-mailed them, and postage is Au$10, about a fiver.

I may need quite a lot for various things I've got planned, but won't be building yet, so I think I'm going to leave it for a while. I'm inclined to buy or make a jig to make it myself, so I'll see how rich/busy I am when I need it. For the building I need very soon, I've started on a temporary version using Scalescenes 4mm corrugated iron enlarged to 7mm. It should look OK for now.

Industrial grade is a bigger pitch isn't it? I need what Colonel Stephens would have used. That's a dangerous site to visit, as it may lead to finding a need for a turntable!

Anyway, I wasn't very happy with the way the building using blown up Scalescenes paper was going, not entirely due to the paper, but because I was trying to cut some corners to make it a quick job. I found something else to order from Hobbycraft, so have ordered some Corduroy Card to have a go at a better version.

I used Slaters sheets to represent corrugated asbestos.  To compensate for the thickness of these sheets I didn't overlap them at the horizontal joints but used butt joints and raised the bottom edge of the top sheet with a strip of thin plastikard (10 or 5 thou - I can't remember which) underneath to represent the overlap.  Fixing bolts were represented by plastic rod set in drilled holes.

post-14569-0-91165600-1453547026.jpg

Too many good options appearing now! My Hobbycraft order arrived this morning, so I'll have to use that until it runs out. The current plan is for two standard gauge Colonel Stephens station buildings, one I need now, and one some time in the future. Both will be set in around 1905, so will be in good condition, with good paintwork and no signs of rust and decay. My current O-16.5 layout plan would need another one, plus some sort of largish loading shed to hide swapping full and empty wagons between the scenic section and the fiddle yard, but I haven't finalised that yet. It may be set in the late 1920s when the rot has started to set in..

Whatever you use, it's all in the painting.

I know. That's why the original plan was to use a printed paper version for now. I'm aiming to relearn and develop various skills one at a time, and am trying to avoid painting for now, until I can concentrate on mastering it.

Having been thinking about various methods of producing 7mm scale corrugated iron sheets, scaling from the various full size sheets around here, the crests should be 2mm apart, and depth of 'groove' half a mm. I suspect, that like a number of model stuff the dimensions need to be exaggerated if the texture is to show from normal viewing distance. It may be different for the more modern box section sheeting. The cans that our dogs' food is in, has corrugations at about twice that size, and I don't think they could be rolled flat, but cut more or less in half may be useful as Nissen huts, or similar.

The Harvest Corduroy Card crests are about 2.5mm apart, and the groove about ½mm deep, so not far off.

I have discovered that 4D Modelshop have an amazing and varied stock including thin aluminium corrugated sheets. Worth a look,

I have discovered that 4D Modelshop have an amazing and varied stock including thin aluminium corrugated sheets. Worth a look,

A 10 minute walk from my Londdon office. I shall do a recce this week. BTW, has anyone noticed that the French don't have words for reconnaissance and rendezvous?

Archived