The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Confuscious say

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Was prompted to post this by the David Bowie thread - RIP - but also for wider usage should others wish to add appropriately

Confuscious - or another wise man - might say: "Do not fear death. There is no pain once you arrive. You might fear your journey but save your sorrow for those who grieve. And ease their sorrow by rebuilding any broken bridges you might find on your travels"

Ah so.

Phil

Life can be likened to a long train journey I sometimes think. London Euston to Glasgow perhaps.

We leave the womb quite vulnerable, a heavy train to get up Camden Bank, then, if the great Controller in the sky allows, it's green lights and fast running up to Rugby, Stafford and Crewe.

On to Warrington and Wigan, a mild mid life "crisis" is Boars Head bank, a stiff 1 in 100 out of Wigan (alongside which I am typing this !!). Just a bit further north, near Coppull is the half way mark. Large signs used to proclaim (probably still do) "London 200 miles Glasgow 200 Miles, So we are at middle age.

I am well past Coppull (aged 63) !!

Soon after Preston is the assault on Shap. Hard going for some, a piece of cake to a Pendolino. But what train are we ?. Up and over Shap its a fast run down to Carlisle, still (hopefully) a long way to go.

With a bit of luck it's retirement now, and it's off again, another stiff climb over Beatock (if the line is open !!!). "Up Beatock, a steady climb, the grade's against her but she's on time" as per the poem Royal Mail.

Then its hopefully a clear run down to our final destination. Time and distance seem to be flashing past faster (or slower) on this bit - perhaps Einstein could explain. I can't

Thing is with life, we don't know which train we are on, what route we are taking, or indeed the great controllers intentions.  Perhaps if we feel our life is running O.K., well, perhaps that is all we need to know.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Life can be likened to a long train journey I sometimes think. London Euston to Glasgow perhaps.

We leave the womb quite vulnerable, a heavy train to get up Camden Bank, then, if the great Controller in the sky allows, it's green lights and fast running up to Rugby, Stafford and Crewe.

On to Warrington and Wigan, a mild mid life "crisis" is Boars Head bank, a stiff 1 in 100 out of Wigan (alongside which I am typing this !!). Just a bit further north, near Coppull is the half way mark. Large signs used to proclaim (probably still do) "London 200 miles Glasgow 200 Miles, So we are at middle age.

I am well past Coppull (aged 63) !!

Soon after Preston is the assault on Shap. Hard going for some, a piece of cake to a Pendolino. But what train are we ?. Up and over Shap its a fast run down to Carlisle, still (hopefully) a long way to go.

With a bit of luck it's retirement now, and it's off again, another stiff climb over Beatock (if the line is open !!!). "Up Beatock, a steady climb, the grade's against her but she's on time" as per the poem Royal Mail.

Then its hopefully a clear run down to our final destination. Time and distance seem to be flashing past faster (or slower) on this bit - perhaps Einstein could explain. I can't

Thing is with life, we don't know which train we are on, what route we are taking, or indeed the great controllers intentions.  Perhaps if we feel our life is running O.K., well, perhaps that is all we need to know.

Brit15

Nice analogy! And bridges certainly in need of rebuilding on that route at the moment..!

Phil

And none will hear the postman's knock

Without a quickening of the heart,

For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?

Was prompted to post this by the David Bowie thread - RIP - but also for wider usage should others wish to add appropriately

Confuscious - or another wise man - might say: "Do not fear death. There is no pain once you arrive. You might fear your journey but save your sorrow for those who grieve. And ease their sorrow by rebuilding any broken bridges you might find on your travels"

Ah so.

Phil

Spot on. I think the Starman would approve.

Remembered today.

One of his reputed sayings which I think fits Bowie's career, is to the effect that one should search for a job that you love, because then you don't have to work for the rest of your life.

Less profound but generally applicable is a thought I got from a colleague when we had both been 'parachuted' into a difficult situation not of our making. "Any day without food poisoning has got something going for it". Made me laugh then, and I still grin at the recollection.

Archived