• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ideal for ultra-compact micro-layouts:

stourbridge-goods-yard-crash-1903-800.jpg.f687be066951ac97f2238adff0305a9f.jpg

You can tell that those wagon sheets were properly tied on.  Nice details to be seen on the wagon with the wooden brake blocks too.

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

It is not exactly cler what has happended there. Has the loco just rammed through the side of the builing and the wagons behind just shoved those two up? I dont think the loco has just come through the building a rammed the wagons as there seems to be no damaged to the chimney. Whichever way there is going to be some explaining to do and either the sack or some pay being docked.

Don

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

It is not exactly cler what has happended there. Has the loco just rammed through the side of the builing and the wagons behind just shoved those two up? I dont think the loco has just come through the building a rammed the wagons as there seems to be no damaged to the chimney. Whichever way there is going to be some explaining to do and either the sack or some pay being docked.

Don

I love the use of the present tense in your post, Don. As the accident was 116 years ago, I think it's safe to say the consequences have been dealt with by now.... ;)  :mosking:  :friends:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Even if we’re not wearing bowler hats and playing pocket billiards, we’re back in time, actually there witnessing it as it happens, visualising the consequences, which shows why Don is using the present tense.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I love the use of the present tense in your post, Don. As the accident was 116 years ago, I think it's safe to say the consequences have been dealt with by now.... ;)  :mosking:  :friends:

Oooh, you're in the pre-Grouping Twilight Zone now, you are definitely not in 2021 now!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Even if we’re not wearing bowler hats and playing pocket billiards, we’re back in time, actually there witnessing it as it happens, visualising the consequences, which shows why Don is using the present tense.

19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oooh, you're in the pre-Grouping Twilight Zone now, you are definitely not in 2021 now!

Yes, I appreciate that - and that Don's comment was viewing the situation "in the moment". It was that which made me smile; apologies if my comment didn't quite convey that.

Such photos though, do convince me of two things - 1) Time Travel is impossible & cannot happen, otherwise 2) Railway enthusiasts and modellers would be the most prolific users!! Imagine, for example, knowing from the history books that that accident at Stourbridge was going to happen, & being able to go back & record it. There wouldn't just be a grainy old monochrome photo of it, there'd be a plethora of full colour HD videos on YouTube, from the moment the train came barrelling down the line, until the dust settled.

Unfortunately, I can't see anyone with a mobile phone in that photo, even if they're wearing period clothes, and period facial hair, to blend in..... :scratchhead: :tease:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Unfortunately, I can't see anyone with a mobile phone in that photo, even if they're wearing period clothes, and period facial hair, to blend in..... :scratchhead: :tease:

I have my doubts about the chap with the bowler and sideburns and his hands in his pockets. He looks to me as if he's trying too hard to fit in.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

It seems the accident was actually in Amblecote, according to this site: 

https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/staffordshire/amblecote/index.html#Railway-Accident

Last time we discussed the photo I think we dug up the accident report. Can't find it just now though.

A technicality. It's the goods station at the end of the Stourbridge branch. Stourbridge Town station is in Stourbridge proper, on the left bank of the Stour; the line continued across the Stour to the goods station on the right bank - Amblecote - with a line continuing to the sewage works, crossing the Stour a couple more times. The OS 25" map should make all clear. I suppose the building that was the victim of this runaway is the one along the road, with three sidings facing it, just SW of the words Goods Shed

Curiously, it looks as if the goods station and sewage works may originally have been served by a line on an east-west alignment, from where the Engine Shed is. I haven't been able to find anything about this, yet. The engine shed was greatly enlarged in the 20s but its site is now a housing estate, but the memory lives on in some well-chosen street names (scroll down here). 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yes, I appreciate that - and that Don's comment was viewing the situation "in the moment". It was that which made me smile; apologies if my comment didn't quite convey that.

Such photos though, do convince me of two things - 1) Time Travel is impossible & cannot happen, otherwise 2) Railway enthusiasts and modellers would be the most prolific users!! Imagine, for example, knowing from the history books that that accident at Stourbridge was going to happen, & being able to go back & record it. There wouldn't just be a grainy old monochrome photo of it, there'd be a plethora of full colour HD videos on YouTube, from the moment the train came barrelling down the line, until the dust settled.

You will never know if my disguise was that good and the reason for no photos is the time machine fogs them up. Or you have the truth of it and time travel in a meaningful sense will not be possible.  I never took your remark askance.  I do try to think myself into the period and situation especially when operating a layout. 

Don

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Donw said:

I do try to think myself into the period and situation especially when operating a layout. 

Absolutely. I think that lies at the heart of railway modelling. We want to experience that time & place - wherever & whenever that is or was, as best we can, through our models.

Edit: without knowing your actual appearance, it's difficult to know how good your disguise was!! :scratchhead:  :jester:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful post, I really enjoyed my vicarious trip.

And a good job you saw Waterford before the 1960s abomination that replaced it!

300px-Waterford_station.jpg.c280ec76c0ec4ce25a0ce5905aad73bc.jpg

All I can say about that is .... 

1455331547_download(1).jpg.0e576f8015817b3af601b4866c502849.jpg

And to think back to ....

366647923_Waterford01.jpg.68249484059a116a6ec7ec34a9badadb.jpg

426515732_Waterford02.jpg.4858f491709989551c323edacd348990.jpg

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for all the positive reactions and comment. While we’re waiting for the train to arrive, I’ve been chewing over in my mind about the appearance of the old station, in particular, why does the entrance look as if it’s on the end of the building, instead of what looks like the front?

Heres a map showing the Waterford railways and giving the reason:

9F3D57CC-1449-4378-B371-E81CAB9B592A.jpeg.667368db1e251582c47738d730c47b50.jpeg

The first railways were the Waterford and Limerick, and the Waterford and Kilkenny, both arriving from the upper left, originally to a terminus near Dunkitt, then on to the site at North station. The building opened in 1864, as a terminus for platforms 5 - 8. There was a dispute between the two lines over payment, leading to one of those Victorian scenes with locos  of company A parked on the tracks and trains of company B trying to force their way through. This meant the building was a terminus with the frontage on the front. James’ first picture shows it like this. The Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore then arrived bottom left, terminating at Waterford South, giving route to Mallow and Cork. The W&K gave a route to Dublin, changing its name to the Waterford and Central Ireland, and being taken over by the GSWR in 1900, along with the W&L. Then arrivals from the right, a line from Wexford 1906 and one from Rosslare 1908, which required the road to be diverted and cottages on the right of James’ picture to be demolished so that the through road and platform could go in. The Rosslare line was part of the Fishguard and Rosslare Railways and Harbours company, sponsored by the GWR with the help of the GSWR, who sensed the traffic opportunities

. A new bridge was put in west of the station to link in to the WD&L route, now also a GSWR line. You could then get through trains from Rosslare to Cork, and have a heroic excursion from Paddington to Killarney to enjoy the lovely scenery. The old Waterford South station was eventually closed, but for a foundry siding.

A recent picture of an excursion with a preserved J15 standing in the North station, with most of the old terminus on the right swept away. The signal box was always a feature, placed on a gantry to give a good view along the length of the through platform.

A2CF30A3-CECB-4051-A779-6CBAC43A9D17.jpeg.63e923235a8f97f4bc2c31953c4a23ba.jpeg

Then another recent picture of the old WD&L route, which was closed from Waterford to Mallow. There’s now a three foot gauge preserved line (the Waterford and Suir Valley) running along a length west of Waterford, co- acting  with a “greenway”. It does give a nice sense of the appearance of the Suir valley.007F32D3-B009-42D0-B6C8-3C55A97602F7.jpeg.2f43553c718da1aea4e8ceae7ba240c1.jpeg

Lastly one other thought, the layout of the old Waterford station as a model prototype? A terminus with a single platform and through lines along one side, maybe a Minories variant. The other place that comes to mind is the old Aberdeen Joint station as first built. Terminus platforms for the Caley and it’s playmate the NB one end, and the GNoS at the other, with the through platform and lines at one side under a barrel roof.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Northroader said:

Lastly one other thought, the layout of the old Waterford station as a model prototype? A terminus with a single platform and through lines along one side, maybe a Minories variant. The other place that comes to mind is the old Aberdeen Joint station as first built. Terminus platforms for the Caley and it’s playmate the NB one end, and the GNoS at the other, with the through platform and lines at one side under a barrel roof.

I might have thought that a bit large for the "Minories" concept/franchise.

If you want a GNoSR example how about Keith?

Through platforms to different routes on either side and bays in the centre.

Just a thought.

Ian T

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

You’ve only looked at the North side of the river...

"Train Driver!' (1.42)  :ireful::angry:

Otherwise it's a lovely piece of film.

• Friendly/supportive 1