Hayfield Station - mocking up the layout to get the lie of the land

pod909

This isn't the first time but I've been pondering getting into railway modelling and looking into Hayfield station as a prototype (I know the site well). It turns out that a 2mm scale model of Hayfield would fit the space I have available. Given my preferences to take on a challenge for the sake of accuracy, the space available, the lack of anything RTR everything is drawing me to attempt 2FS.

The question is, as essentially a beginner, am I bonkers?

Edited by pod909

No you're not bonkers. I'd say go for it! I'm currently building Euston in 2mmFS and it's really my first attempt at proper track building.

Do you have Templot? If not, you need this in your life as it will help you plan the layout. Once you have a printed plan on your baseboard you can work through the various turnouts at your own pace. Just take your time and you will be amazed what you can achieve. If it doesn't look right, start it again. The end result will guaranteed to be very pleasing and there is nothing better than hand built track.

There are plenty of amazing track builders on this forum who can offer you some great advice.

Don't hold back, go for it!

Good luck!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I've seen what you've taken on with This is Euston. Now that IS bonkers.

Keith Armes rather generously ran a scale Templot plan up for me and I'm probably going to ask him to do the point work. Certainly the 2 3-ways.

The three ways aren't easy. 

Three ways (properly called tandem turnouts) are a doddle!!  Here's the first built of 4 on Kirkallanmuir.

post-25077-0-37360900-1453240981_thumb.jpg

You just have to keep your its about you!

Seriously, though, I'm sure you'll find the results in 2FS far more satisfying than N, especially as it seems that you're going to have to scratchbuild most things in any case.  Go for it!

Jim

Hi Jim

I know interlaced sleepers is your prototype specification but I am curious (on the prototype) about the sleeper support for the left divergence (between the first and 2nd crossing). Obviously you have had all the full size info!. I once read that crossing timber arrangement is an art form especially when things get complex. Were the sleepers all 10" wide? Like I said, I'm just curious!

Tandem turnouts are not that bad. Best to get a bit of practice first though. Enough people have built trackwork in 2mm scale to prove it is perfectly possible to do.

If you want to really go mad, why not try my current 2mm spacesaver project (3 turnouts in the same place!).............

post-26366-0-24271300-1453245036_thumb.gif

(Sleepers, some crossings and checkrails left off the drawing to improve clarity)

I have built enough of it to suggest it will function properly - but will my sanity survive long enough to complete it, I wonder?  :O

Maybe I was crazy to even think it up ;)

• Like 1

This isn't the first time but I've been pondering getting into railway modelling and looking into Hayfield station as a prototype (I know the site well). It turns out that a 2mm scale model of Hayfield would fit the space I have available. Given my preferences to take on a challenge for the sake of accuracy, the space available, the lack of anything RTR everything is drawing me to attempt 2FS.

Well, I was going to suggest that you get around the scratchbuild everything problem by using rewheeled and detailed r-t-r N stock, as I intend to, as a sort of half-size EM equivalent, but having looked at your favoured eras that's not going to fly really ;).

Will watch your progress with interest.

You can get the wheels on steamers reprofiled I believe

If your wanting GC loco's then apart from a couple that's RTR it's scratchbuilding ,there's not Even many kits about unfortunalty I'd love an N5,04 and C13 in N/2mm but the big company's don't seem to be bothered with GC stuff

In N I think it's mostly midland Later BR stuff ,great western and a bit of southern for the steamers (I may be wrong ) lol

Brian

Seconded on the N5. The donkey work on the line looks to be N5/F1/F2. Not sees any sign of a 2-4-2 chasy so far.

Apparently Worsley Works habe a scratch aid kit for the C13. Slightly out of era for me i suspect.

RTR the only option looks like a Bachmans or Union Mills J11. Any problem with converting them to 2fs?

Seconded on the N5. The donkey work on the line looks to be N5/F1/F2. Not sees any sign of a 2-4-2 chasy so far.

Apparently Worsley Works habe a scratch aid kit for the C13. Slightly out of era for me i suspect.

RTR the only option looks like a Bachmans or Union Mills J11. Any problem with converting them to 2fs?

Just had a look and the C13's started service in 1905 and were still in use in the 1950's so you could get away with them I'd think

I'm thinking of having a crack at the worsley works scratch aid in the future I'm just starting to put together some info and get the drawings for them ,the June 67 railway modeller has the drawings in for the C13/C14

I think I've seen a company do a kit of the N4 think it was the twomm locomotive kits

http://www.twommlocomotives.co.uk/TwommLocomotives/London_%26_North_Eastern_Railway_Locomotive_Kits.html

Don't know much about this company but they do a few I wouldn't mind

Have you joined the 2mm association ?

Brian

You can get the wheels on steamers reprofiled I believe

If your wanting GC loco's then apart from a couple that's RTR it's scratchbuilding ,there's not Even many kits about unfortunalty I'd love an N5,04 and C13 in N/2mm but the big company's don't seem to be bothered with GC stuff

In N I think it's mostly midland Later BR stuff ,great western and a bit of southern for the steamers (I may be wrong ) lol

Brian

Judith Edge kits did some shot down etches for the N5 in 2mm. Not sure if there are any left, but you could always drop them an email to ask.

Andy

No, go for it.

FYI I did a search in The National Archives Discovery catalogue on Hayfield in RAIL (obvious), AN (After Nationalisation) and MT 6 (BoT reports: inspections, accidents etc) and turned up:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_st=adv&_aq=Hayfield&_cr1=RAIL&_cr2=AN&_cr3=MT%206&_dss=range&_ro=any

No idea which, if any are relevant in your case---well outside my area of operation. If you want any help in how to use TNA for research, contact me, byt be warned: research can get addictive and take over.

Mark A

RAIL471 and RAIL224 look like they may be useful but I'm not sure what level I could expect from the plans.

They have records of the proposed LNWR Disley - Hayfield line too. That could make things interesting (way) down the line.

Edited by pod909

Forms filled in this morning

Nice ,I've just become a member and waiting for my first parcel of goodies lol

Brian

Judith Edge kits did some shot down etches for the N5 in 2mm. Not sure if there are any left, but you could always drop them an email to ask.

Andy

Thanks I'll send them an email see what they've got

Brian

Looks like the N5 is currently out of stock. I've inquired what the minimum order would be for them to consider doing a run

What they have for 2mm:

NER/LNER/BR EF1 Bo+Bo
LNER/BR EB1 Bo+Bo
NER/LNER/BR ES1Bo-Bo 
Hunslet 05
Hunslet 7051 
Barclay D2400 
Barclay class 06 
Barclay class 01
English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 
BR class 17 Clayton 
J63
Ruston 165DS 
Ruston 88 DS 
Hunslet 15” 
Sentinel 0-6-0 
RH PWM650
NBL 2700 
NBL D2745

English Electric/Baguley – Harton 13-15  currently out of stock
SR/Paxman BR11001 – currently out of stock 
LMS/BR Jackshaft 12023-32 – currently out of stock 
Hunslet MDHB No. 32 – currently out of stock
Hunslet 16” - currently out of stock
NBL D2720 – currently out of stock
CP Sentinel 0-6-0DH (1:160) – currently out of stock 
N5 0-6-2T - currently out of stock
Hunslet 05 high cab -  currently out of stock 
Yorkshire Engine Janus – currently out of stock

The problem seems to be that they include more than 1 loco on an etc sheet and prefer to wait for those to sell out first. They do anticipate doing more in future so if you have an interest perhaps drop them an email and let them know!

The problem seems to be that they include more than 1 loco on an etc sheet and prefer to wait for those to sell out first. They do anticipate doing more in future so if you have an interest perhaps drop them an email and let them know!

Thanks pod909 I'll have a look into that

Brian

• Like 1

RAIL471 and RAIL224 look like they may be useful but I'm not sure what level I could expect from the plans.

They have records of the proposed LNWR Disley - Hayfield line too. That could make things interesting (way) down the line.

There's absolutely no way of knowing except by looking at them them. A plan could be anything from a simple sketch to a detailed drawing. The MT 6 Inspection reports often (but not always) contain highly detailed plans---often in the case of new work on an existing system shewing the new work overlaid in red on the original layout. To give an example, two documents I looked at were entitled something similar to Vale of Neath Railway stock. One was a two-page list of stock taken over by the GWR, one was a detailed engineering specification, down to the painting details (coat by coat)..

MT 6 is in particular a bit of a nightmare. It was once described to me as having been compiled by someone who did not understand railways, and typed up by someone who could not read his hand-wrighting.

Mark A

Hi Jim

I know interlaced sleepers is your prototype specification but I am curious (on the prototype) about the sleeper support for the left divergence (between the first and 2nd crossing). Obviously you have had all the full size info!. I once read that crossing timber arrangement is an art form especially when things get complex. Were the sleepers all 10" wide? Like I said, I'm just curious!

The arrangement of sleepers was based on advice I got from a member of the team which is building 'Burntisland 1884' in S4.  This photo is cropped from one he sent me of one of their tandem pairs.  The wheels in the background are those of 'The Diver'!  Yes it's the 'opposition', NBR, but PW practice was pretty similar across the board.  The sleeper gaps can get pretty lengthy, but there is no other way of arranging them.  I wouldn't like to be one of the gangers trying to replace a sleeper in the centre!

post-25077-0-37940200-1453323415_thumb.jpg

As far as I know they were on standard 8'11" x 9" sleepers.  The chairs are nearly always running along the sleeper, except for the sleepers supporting the nose of the crossings where that sleeper was always aligned with those on the main road.

Jim

Some progress made on the front elevation of the station house.

Not sure what to do with the stones in the wall. Include in the model, stick on stone effect afterwards or leave as is. The stone work on the prototype is pretty flat and probably wouldn't be visible at scale. What's the general consensus on the best approach for 2mm?

post-28139-0-88503600-1454002029_thumb.png

Not sure what to do with the stones in the wall. Include in the model, stick on stone effect afterwards or leave as is. The stone work on the prototype is pretty flat and probably wouldn't be visible at scale. What's the general consensus on the best approach for 2mm?

If the stonework is generally flat, then I would not put any relief on the model.  Scribing the beds and joints and running a thin wash of white over them would be enough.  An alternative might be the downloadable papers from Smart Models www.smartmodels.co.uk if there is a suitable one in the range.    All the brick buildings on Mick Simpson's 'Wansbeck Road' use brick papers.

Jim