Shelf Street Goods Station

Spitfire2865

Im trying to decide if I want to maybe have the awning above the platform actually an awning, or part of the roof structure entirely.

As the wall sort of goes in then back out, could a loading dock just be cut into the building?

Or maybe have the bit that covers the hinge as maybe an extension of the original building. Maybe...

Does this platform have a warehouse over it? If so, then I suggest it will take one of two forms.

In the simpler form, the front of the warehouse is level with the front of the platform and the loading bay is indeed "cut in" to the building. The upper floors come as far forward as possible to get the most floor space, unless there is a reason to step back the building wall. No canopy needed.

In the second form, the upper floors are set back by the width of the platform, to make space for hoists that can lift from the platform. The hoists are housed in wooden sheds, open at the bottom and cantilevered out from the upper walls; they're called lucams. If there's a canopy, and you probably need on now, the lucams may extend down to meet the top of the canopy.

I  don't remember seeing a warehouse with lucams in Birmingham. They were more common in East Anglia, where there was usually more space around the railway buildings. Of course,  you can have hoists from the platform to the upper floors entirely enclosed in the brick building that hangs over the platform, so I think the lucam arrangement isn't so helpful here.

Concerning the shed at the front left of the layout where the ceiling height was uncertain: do you have a reason for more headroom? Taller buildings cost more, so I'd expect the ceiling to be marginally above the tallest fixture in the shed, or the tallest rolling stock, whichever is higher. I doubt that the goods were stacked very high; that gets tricky to operate without modern racking and handling aids. Unless there's a on overhead crane in there somewhere (as at Moor Street), I'd say that ~18" above the top of the crane already modelled was just right.

Does this platform have a warehouse over it? If so, then I suggest it will take one of two forms.

In the simpler form, the front of the warehouse is level with the front of the platform and the loading bay is indeed "cut in" to the building. The upper floors come as far forward as possible to get the most floor space, unless there is a reason to step back the building wall. No canopy needed.

In the second form, the upper floors are set back by the width of the platform, to make space for hoists that can lift from the platform. The hoists are housed in wooden sheds, open at the bottom and cantilevered out from the upper walls; they're called lucams. If there's a canopy, and you probably need on now, the lucams may extend down to meet the top of the canopy.

I  don't remember seeing a warehouse with lucams in Birmingham. They were more common in East Anglia, where there was usually more space around the railway buildings. Of course,  you can have hoists from the platform to the upper floors entirely enclosed in the brick building that hangs over the platform, so I think the lucam arrangement isn't so helpful here.

Concerning the shed at the front left of the layout where the ceiling height was uncertain: do you have a reason for more headroom? Taller buildings cost more, so I'd expect the ceiling to be marginally above the tallest fixture in the shed, or the tallest rolling stock, whichever is higher. I doubt that the goods were stacked very high; that gets tricky to operate without modern racking and handling aids. Unless there's a on overhead crane in there somewhere (as at Moor Street), I'd say that ~18" above the top of the crane already modelled was just right.

The lefthand shed is supposed to be just a corner of a large shed such as Birmingham Lawley Street. The second floor being a warehouse and sorting.

The right building, Im still trying to debate if I want the roof to extend flush with the furthest wall.

I was thinking no warehouse above it, but maybe putting a second floor in wouldnt be such a bad idea.

While I wasnt planning on putting lucams, they were in fact used at Birminghams Lawley Street.

• 6 months later...

While it has been seveal months of procrastination, I have decided to get a bit more work done.

post-21863-0-91583300-1479092207_thumb.jpg

Firstly, most of the cobbles have been completed on the right board.

post-21863-0-11087400-1479092199_thumb.jpg

And tonight I finally started on the roof structure. All to be removable of course. I have made plastic pins and slots to locate the roof pieces when in place.

Next, I have to figure out the central section.

• 2 months later...

Well, its only been a year, but Ive finally finished wiring on the layout.

Needing an easy means of attaching panel mount plugs, I had a Tenshodo bogie container, and thought itd suit. Much easier than drilling through 1-1/2" of wood without a proper bit or electric drill.

My controller needed a means to mount a plug, so I 3D printed a box.

post-21863-0-18252400-1485917188_thumb.jpg

So DC in from a transformer through a co-ax plug, through the wiring mess under the board, out through one side of the Din5 socket, up to my controller and back down to the track.

post-21863-0-63315400-1485917197_thumb.jpg

Now it would have been a lot simpler if I didnt first wire the DC input to the controller track output. My Lanky pug which was on the track gave me a good scare.

I need to continue working on the main building.

Archived