Frames layout

frame69

• RMweb Gold

Some seriously vintage motors there - is your avatar a 1600E? You've certainly got the blend of vehicles into landscape working well - they don't look "plonked". More please, especially of the buildings.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Good morning. This layout has now gone to make room for a better one.

DSCF1279.jpg

DSCF1482-Copy.jpg

Im still building the boards at the moment but some track has been temporarily layed to see what plans I come up with.

Thanks for looking

Frame.

Im still building the boards at the moment but some track has been temporarily layed to see what plans I come up with.

Speaking for myself, I usually survey the space, come up with a track plan, then build the baseboard, then lay the track ;)

Are you going to be able to reach that corner?

Speaking for myself, I usually survey the space, come up with a track plan, then build the baseboard, then lay the track ;)

Are you going to be able to reach that corner?

I've tried hopelessly to work out a trackplan but got bored waiting for the right one. I have one in my head which Im working on as I go. Every part of the layout can be reached at the moment but Im keeping an eye on this. It all comes apart too (seven pieces)

Cheers,Frame.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've tried hopelessly to work out a trackplan but got bored waiting for the right one. I have one in my head which Im working on as I go. Every part of the layout can be reached at the moment but Im keeping an eye on this. It all comes apart too (seven pieces)

You need an overall idea of the track-plan to be able to build baseboards in the right place, of course, but once they're up, I have always found laying out P&C to see what fits is essential. Is that loop long enough? Does the curve look too much like a bend? Will losing that crossover stop you serving those sidings the way you wanted? Can the sidings hold enough wagons/coaches inside clear? While I recognise that there are clever and affordable PC applications that should enable you to make those decisions, there's nothing like seeing track in situ for convincing you one way or the other and then allowing you to play with the layout 'til you've optimised it. If you're into handbuilt-in-situ track, then printing out templates presumably enables the same exercise.

Thanks for looking chaps. Still no plan and as Ian said about seeing trackwork in place gives you a much better idea than drawings in my opinion...that could change though. Down to the train room tonight for some more chopping,glueing and cursing.

Rock on...Frame.

Oh,a short,badly made video of a bit of running to see where supports have to go...

...by the way,Julio Englesiass?..s was on the radio and not a disc for those that pick it up. ;)

Hi Kris. It drops just under two inches over sixteen feet but may be less when its final. Also the trackbed is currently unsupported so the weight of the DMU made it sag at least by 10 mm. Roughly about 1 in 90.

Frame.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I took two boards into the garden the other day as I have more room there. I got a few sections of the lower line layed,this will disappear into a tunnel with the other line crossing over the top of it.

DSCF2581.jpg

DSCF2577-1.jpg

DSCF2593.jpg

Oh,I also made a start on a shed for my O gauge garden line....

DSCF2625.jpg

DSCF2628.jpg

Both lanes have a pit and the left side will have some sort of loading platform.

Have a great weekend.....Frame.

Archived