Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MSL Hobbies Class 76 Em1

Intrigued by this thread and the extensive exchanges about the Heljan EM1, I decided to make a start on one of these kits , bought a few months ago on Ebay.

Initial impressions of the etches are good, with extensive rivet detail already provided, on what appear to be nickel silver etches. Comparison to Mr Edge's drawings however are not so great, the bodysides appear to be too deep and the cabs also, with the windows appearing oversize. The fit of cabs to body isn't too good either, as was remarked on above. The fitting of the roof panels also looks a bit doubtful, if done per the very skimpy instructions. Cutting the thin etches to size and making a seamless and invisible joint I think would be well beyond my capabilities, so I'm going to have to live with the scale imperfections. I think as well I shall have to make up the chassis in parallel with the body as accuracy of fit clearly cannot be taken for granted on any of the components.

This is likely to be a slow effort as I have to be away a lot at the moment, but I'll add any salient observations on the build as time goes by.

Happy new year to all!!

John.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I have 2 kits of the 00 gauge model with the supplied motorised bogies & have reached the body completion stage. I do not know how to add the bogies to the body , that is how the bogies are connected to the body. Can any of you help me please?

I must say that the motorised bogies look very good.

• 5 years later...

I am building the metal kit of the class 76 EM1. However whilst doing so I acquired an Olivia Trains complete model and was surprised to see that the models are not the same size. The kit is noticeably shorter than the Olivia Trains model. I will continue making the kit but members may want to reflect on the difference in length.

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, marhow105 said:

As to fitting the motor to the model, if anyone wants information on this, let me know as I have a special guide from the vendor of the kit

I would be interested please, my own build stalled some while ago, although the bodywork is substantially complete after a lot of time spent.

I'm working on the basis of using 16mm spoked Romford drivers, with 2mm axle, as in fact sold to me by the kit maker. Looking at the motor bogie etch when folded up, even a Mashima 1428 isn't long enough for the worms to fit properly on the shafts and then be in the right place over the axles. I don't think even a 1430 would be long enough either, perhaps not surprising given a bogie wheelbase of 11'6', which equates to 46mm on our models. I don't like the method of motor mounting either as it isn't firm enough to give a precise clearance between worm and cog gear on the axle.

So I'd be very interested in your guidance, for which many thanks in advance.

John.

• RMweb Premium

This is how I powered the bogies for a resin moulded EM1

DSCF1714.JPG.e2f1a669dc54f146996b083a142d13bd.JPG

DSCF1715.JPG.a81270ba2f48b59f4341cdcbc8355f21.JPG

DSCF1716.JPG.2df71d0ea7bca0f2faf4e3191f209277.JPG

These are Mashima 14x26 motors and Romford 30:1 gears, there's room for a flywheel on each. I have two more to build with Mitsumi double ended motors, the bogie frames are etched in preparation for a complete EM1 kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

This is how I powered the bogies for a resin moulded EM1

DSCF1714.JPG.e2f1a669dc54f146996b083a142d13bd.JPG

DSCF1715.JPG.a81270ba2f48b59f4341cdcbc8355f21.JPG

DSCF1716.JPG.2df71d0ea7bca0f2faf4e3191f209277.JPG

These are Mashima 14x26 motors and Romford 30:1 gears, there's room for a flywheel on each. I have two more to build with Mitsumi double ended motors, the bogie frames are etched in preparation for a complete EM1 kit.

Thanks very much for this, your chasis parts are far more substantial than the ones in the MSL kit. Aside from the shape issues, the flimsiness of the material used throughout is a major drawback to the kits.

I think my answer when I return to the thing will be to beef up the etches by sweating some extra sections on to give it a bit of body.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• 1 month later...

I too have acquired an MSL kit of the original No.6000 later 26000 'Tommy'. Unfortunately, there weren't any instructions with it. I have read here that maybe the instructions aren't any use anyway, but if anyone has a copy (or for the production versions) they could scan for me, I would appreciate it. 

There are a few bits I'm scratching my head over!

On 20/02/2021 at 16:27, marhow105 said:

I am building the metal kit of the class 76 EM1. However whilst doing so I acquired an Olivia Trains complete model and was surprised to see that the models are not the same size. The kit is noticeably shorter than the Olivia Trains model. I will continue making the kit but members may want to reflect on the difference in length.

Perhaps you could tell us how many mm it takes to be noticeable, and which one matches the drawings?