Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Stanier 3P 2-6-2T

• RMweb Premium

I can't get the quote post function to work at the moment, but yes I have 13739 and 13740 - the tank, cab and bunker drawings.  The Stanier 3P is 8' 11 over platform as the drawing puts it and 8' 10 and a half inches across the tanks, and 8' 3" across the back of the bunker.  I don't have the width across the front platform.

I'll have a think about what to do regarding the bunker etc drawings - the NRM's copyright declaration form is quite strict and clear!

Simon .

• RMweb Premium

On the cab are there any windshields on the back of the cab? Some engines appear to have a vertical windshield, but is very rare. Within the etching details I have it shows one for each side, but that does not tie up with the photographic evidence. I have got a nice photo of the front of the bunker from a scrapped engine. I'm lucky though that my drawing did not come via the NRM.  Does it have any dimensions on the cab windows, height from the bottom of the tanks?

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Cabside windows are each 2ft 3/4in high, 1ft 4 3/8 in wide with 3 1/2in between windows.  Top corners are 3" radius, bottom 1" R.  1 x 1/2 inch beading.  No helpful height of windows from bottom of the tanks I'm afraid.  Cab cutout is split 4" 1 1/2" and 2' 3 1/2" vertically with the wider portion at the top being 2' 8" across.  Curves at top are 8" radius, those at bottom are 5" making the lower portion of the cutout 10" narrower than the top portion.  At times like these I wish my locomotive terminology knowledge was better!  Tankside max height is 4' 6" externally, Tank tops are 4'4" + plate thickness (1/8" plate perhaps?) above running plate. 

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nothing wrong with it as it gives enough to work on. I have started laying out the end and side elevations. I will do a photographic survey of the class to try to illustrate all the variations of the class, apart from the strange draft screen, which will have to be a link to flickr post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With thanks to Simon I have been making progress on proper scaled drawings for this engine. In the meantime I have been working on (for some considerable time) a database of all the engines in this class with the aim of showing the detail differences and as many photographic references. As has been said this class is complicated on details.

This is still a work in progress, if anyone knows of any shots of the class on the internet which I have not found please let me know as the idea is to make this as comprehensive a record as possible. I have still to add more on allocations. One day I hope to get to York to look through the engine record cards to identify all of the alterations to the engines and their works dates.

Let me know what you think?

Stanier 262 tanks details.xls

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With thanks to Simon I have been making progress on proper scaled drawings for this engine. In the meantime I have been working on (for some considerable time) a database of all the engines in this class with the aim of showing the detail differences and as many photographic references. As has been said this class is complicated on details.

This is still a work in progress, if anyone knows of any shots of the class on the internet which I have not found please let me know as the idea is to make this as comprehensive a record as possible. I have still to add more on allocations. One day I hope to get to York to look through the engine record cards to identify all of the alterations to the engines and their works dates.

Let me know what you think?

Hi Duncan

An excellent piece of research. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-5625-0-94332100-1459278635_thumb.jpgJust to prove that progress is being made on the first elevation of the engine, please see attached. There is some way to go on this first one before the following

2) Top elevation

3) Front elevation - showing differences on each side for lubrication modifications

4) Cab front

5) Bunker front

6) Rear

7) Bunker internal

8) Reverser detail - cab from drivers side.

I also need to do 2 side elevations a) with key hole and domed tank vent and B) with separate dome and top feed, no keyhole.

I'm making the progress as early stage peritonitis and a ruptured stomach last Monday stopped all play for at least 4 weeks.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm on the mend and being off work at least means that progress is happening on the drawings.

Now to a question on the class. Looking at what the drawings show it appears that the tanks are narrower than the distance to the frames. In the cab it would appear that the wheels would intrude above the cab floor. I could make the assumption that there were splashers in the cab and from the tank drawing it looks like there were splashers. Unfortunately the only photos I know of the inside of the cabhttps://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LMSSteam/Stanier-Locomotives/Stanier-Tank-Engines/Stanier-3P-B-tank-engines/i-r8VLqL3/M and https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LMSSteam/Stanier-Locomotives/Stanier-Tank-Engines/Stanier-3P-B-tank-engines/i-r8VLqL3/M don't help as they don't show what the cab floor looks like.  

Does anyone know ? - I would rather do the drawing accurately as the inaccuracy of the only option and wanting one is what started this off.

Duncan

In one of these photos there is to the right of the back head a square shape intruding into the cab. It's heavily riveted, I would assume that this in fact your splasher. I don't think that would be an unfair conclusion as it looks to extend a fair way into the cab and looking at a side on view a few photos later it would appear to be the right length. An assumption I know, but a fair one I think.

Excellent project. I'd certainly be interested in a set of etches.

The offer of scanning the drawings still stands...

Mike

Edited by Mike G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies. I can see why you would suggest the box being the splasher, the tank drawing shows that its width is to the outside of the driving wheels and is just the water tanks which extend to the back of the cab, but stepped down .Both driver and fireman had their own seats, which you should all see in the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately it does not help with the question of if as you sensibly suggest they were extended to cover the wheels. Daft question, picking up on Clive's point does anyone know what happens in the cab of 2500 or a Fowler 2-6-4 as they also have the splashers, and sadly the Wild Swan book .

In terms of etches, once drawings are done the next stage will be to attempt to work out how they could be turned into sensible etches, and then the big one to learn how to use CAD, I've only ever done hand drawn etches.

I've also found some more variations to the class in rivets on the bunker flare, strengthening piece at the back of the bunker, all to be incorporated into the master spreadsheet.

Best wishes

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm on the mend and being off work at least means that progress is happening on the drawings

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to hear about your illness and good to hear you are on the mend.

Best wishes,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Well I have continued slow work on the drawing. There are a couple of errors, having a senior moment I gave the loco fluted rods which will be removed when completed; and the spokes are not right on the drivers as the crankpin should be between the spokes. However with that one I'm not going to redo the spokes again. Finally I think the cab ventilator should be a two piece affair that pulls apart and I have got some checking on that to do.

post-5625-0-72733600-1460312602_thumb.jpg

I have also done a partial view for the early boiler and frame view, which again needs some alterations. I've also downloaded QCAD and started going through some on line tutorials about drawing etching. I've also got the large drawing scanned and then reprinted to a more sensible size to help.

To slow me down one of my friends also gave me two kits to build as quickies, 16020 the Pug based at Burton/ Bromsgrove (which of course needs lots of hacking to get it correct) and a Q7.

I would very much like to finish it off in the next week. but we shall see.

Edited by Blandford1969
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry for the lack of updates things have slowed in trying to find evidence on a couple of points. For those interested I did notice a Sutherland models version on ebay if anyone is interested? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUTHERLAND-MODELS-COTSWOLD-LMS-Stanier-2-62t-unmade-complete-motor-/371664416264?hash=item5688ecee08:g:6tYAAOSwMNxXbEHf I hope to make more progress on the drawings soon having finally got the balance weights and sanders sorted.

Best wishes, Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the lack of updates things have slowed in trying to find evidence on a couple of points. For those interested I did notice a Sutherland models version on ebay if anyone is interested? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUTHERLAND-MODELS-COTSWOLD-LMS-Stanier-2-62t-unmade-complete-motor-/371664416264?hash=item5688ecee08:g:6tYAAOSwMNxXbEHf I hope to make more progress on the drawings soon having finally got the balance weights and sanders sorted.

Best wishes, Duncan

Hi Duncan

Thanks for the update and I might have put in a bid.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Good evening Clive bit late to this thread . I've seen your contributions on Tony Wrights thread, love the cut and shut class 114. The stanier 3p tank is one of my favourites....I know the real things were not his greatest creation. I have declined to pay the inflated prices on eBay wnen the odd nu cast kit is listed. I have though had a go at adapting..scratch building my own in plastic. The boiler is from an airfix std 4....scratch running plates and tank sides. The cab windows are from the same std 4 kit. The beading is fine brass wire around the bunker. It won't win prizes but for now I'm quite pleased with it. I was speaking with Brian Osborne of Branchlines on his stand at last years Warley show. I noticed he had some reintroduced ex ks nucast models in his range. He informed me of the link up with se finecast and the hope to reintroduce more of the range. I gather though it depended on the state of the moulds. I corresponded with him afterwards...the last update being April this year. At that time he informed me that they were awaiting etches for a new chassis. I have not bothered him since but posts on other threads seem to suggest the 3p is not imminent. In any event I intend to visit his stand at Warley this year. In the meantime my creation...Comet underpinnings mashima motor high level gearbox and probably a better performer than the real thing was. Best wishes Brian

post-23587-0-94626500-1539803644_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-54136100-1539803663_thumb.jpegTwo photos, I believe you like units, here is my recently completed Park Royal class 103 and my Stanier 3p.hopefully representing the re boiler rd version...I still intend to try and model the small boiler version in due course Edited by 46256
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1