Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Please read my post 498 for a likely reason for this situation.To repeat there is a recent "history" on another Oxford Rail thread.

Agreed Ian, but the point was that they are not even keeping their website up to date in terms of the spec of their products. That is the lacking communications with modellers as a group - not through here.

Roy

There are a couple of extra images on the mk3a page on the Oxford Rail site that look like painted samples.

Yes I was going to mention that one.

Is it my impression or is the grey band on the blue/grey version incorrectly positioned?

(I'm aware the loco hauled versions had a different paint scheme to the HST ones.)

Edited by jonathan452

• RMweb Gold

Yes I was going to mention that one.

Is it my impression or is the grey band on the blue/grey version incorrectly positioned?

(I'm aware the loco hauled versions had a different paint scheme to the HST ones.)

The first class yellow stripe is too wide. The bottom of the grey looks about right, not sure about the top.

Roy

The first class yellow stripe is too wide. The bottom of the grey looks about right, not sure about the top.

Roy

Agree that the yellow stripe is a bit too wide. The bottom of the grey is actually a bit too low. Looking at photos, use either the tapering horizontal crease in the doors or the vertical handrail to see where this should end, e.g. : https://www.flickr.com/photos/97395593@N08/15352880684/sizes/l

• RMweb Gold

Agree that the yellow stripe is a bit too wide. The bottom of the grey is actually a bit too low. Looking at photos, use either the tapering horizontal crease in the doors or the vertical handrail to see where this should end, e.g. : https://www.flickr.com/photos/97395593@N08/15352880684/sizes/l

That's what I did and it looked pretty spot on to me when I zoomed in to the image on Oxford's site. No wonder people never agree if we see it differently! Shows what a difficult job they have to get it right.

Roy

Assuming the bodyside hand rail is correctly positioned the grey panel looks right, it's the yellow stripe that's a tad too wide, should be a bit more grey above the windows. If I remember correctly the HST yellow stripe was wider than loco hauled stock.

Cheers

Shane

Ok, finally found a good shot on Flickr by Dave Jolly to compare against. I think you're right Shane and Roy, Oxford Rail have the bottom of the grey about right. It runs approximately equidistant between the horizontal door crease and the handle and the grab rail recess protrudes upwards slightly into it. The yellow stripe is definitely too wide!

8214557026_b7ab62e397_b.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that the painted versions of the coaches on Oxford's site may actually be very well executed 'skins' applied to a pre-production model?

Note that the bogies are slightly skewed in exactly the same position on both vehicles and the right wheel of the right bogie somehow looks as though it's 'floating' (to my eyes).

If this were the case, it might be good news as changes to the real models (such as the need for a thinner yellow first-class stripe) would presumably be easier to carry out.

Or maybe my imagination is working overtime?!!!

Just a thought...

Am I the only one who thinks that the painted versions of the coaches on Oxford's site may actually be very well executed 'skins' applied to a pre-production model?

Note that the bogies are slightly skewed in exactly the same position on both vehicles and the right wheel of the right bogie somehow looks as though it's 'floating' (to my eyes).

If this were the case, it might be good news as changes to the real models (such as the need for a thinner yellow first-class stripe) would presumably be easier to carry out.

Or maybe my imagination is working overtime?!!!

Just a thought...

I actually thought it was very badly done! Not that I can do anything of the kind, but it looks so dull and flat (that's the best I can describe it).

I was thinking the same thing. The bogies on the drawings do seem to look a little on the 'skinny' side to me. There also seems to be a larger gap between the coach and bogie top than on the real thing. That said, I feel the bogies on the unpainted pre-production models that are floating around seem to be a bit meatier to my eye, although none of them (if I recall correctly) shows the coach from a full side-on view, which would allow a more direct comparison. 

Wouldn't like to see the model looking as though it's rolling around on 'tip-toe'!

Given that the planned release of these is not that far away, I too wish Oxford would confirm the specification. Will they have clear or tinted glass, provision for lighting, be lit or have none?

I like lighting and would prefer there to be some provision for it but if they don't have it I will add if. The tinting is, however, a deal breaker. Until that is confirmed I will not be ordering any.

Roy

According to the (ex Hornby) employee on the OR stand at Model Rail Glasgow, all coaches (no option) will come with fitted interior lighting and lightly tinted glazing. They also feature a nice close coupling system. The (non painted) examples on display looked most impressive.........let's hope they get the colours and the livery application correct.......................

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to the (ex Hornby) employee on the OR stand at Model Rail Glasgow, all coaches (no option) will come with fitted interior lighting and lightly tinted glazing. They also feature a nice close coupling system. The (non painted) examples on display looked most impressive.........let's hope they get the colours and the livery application correct.......................

Very many thanks for that. I look forward to seeing the finished article. My big hope is that colours will match other stock, in particular the Bachmann DBSO.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

The guy I spoke to at Model Rail Scotland said they were endeavouring to keep price to £34.95 . That might mean it would need to come without lights.

Personally I'm not at all bothered by lights and would rather have the lower price

• Like 1

The guy I spoke to at Model Rail Scotland said they were endeavouring to keep price to £34.95 . That might mean it would need to come without lights.

Personally I'm not at all bothered by lights and would rather have the lower price

Agree about the lighting... but £35 is a very good price.

I hope that if they have to sell the base model without lighting to keep within the target price they offer versions with lighting at a higher price as an option.  I personally would like a rake with lighting, especially as the RFM will be perfect to run with the Bachmann Mk2fs as well which will have a lighting option.

Given the models are looking to be getting close to that over-used adjective "definitive" I think a lighting option would be quite popular.

Oh, I sincerely hope that the 'lightly tinted' glazing isn't too light.

I realise manufacturers have to get the balance right when it comes to showing interiors but when you see a Mk3 in normal lighting conditions, you tend to get a strong reflective tint to the windows.

Still, I suppose some tinting is better than no tinting at all...

What's the general consensus on the painted example on the OR site?

Personally, I'm glad to see that even with the interior lit, the glazing is still quite smoked, which must mean that with no lighting it's relatively dark. Just what I was hoping for.

I am a little concerned about the prism effect of the glazing, however. I wonder if it's just an effect of the lighting. It almost looks as though the model could have the same punched-flush windows that the first releases of the Hornby scale-length Mk3 had. That would be a major disappointment. Shame there aren't more pictures.

All that being said, I'm tempted to put in a number of pre-orders already, something I never normally do...