The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Yours look very nice. I'm sure mine will end up a similar shade unless I do some editing!!

My one is on its original chassis, but you probably know that having read the thread so many times!!

It is painted with phoenix precision secr loco green so it is as accurate as they made it!!

And my C Class is the buffer beam poking out behind it!!

Gary

Edit: yes I was referring to your lining! And very nice lining it is too! I must admit to getting quite excited when I saw you had uploaded it!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So my SE&CR fleet that are painted with Phoenix Precision SE&CR loco green. Hopefully you can get an ides of the true colour from these. All taken just now under what natural light we have on this overcast day!!

I think the last 2 with the R1 and Terrier leaning up against my laptop are the most accurate colour wise! The terrier is to become 751 at some point in the future!!

post-22762-0-95449100-1515839016_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-18935200-1515839022_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-03318300-1515839028_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-67734800-1515839033_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-63584900-1515839039_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-53889700-1515839045_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-30992300-1515839051_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-04764900-1515839057_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much!!

Gary

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Wish I could afford DJH kits, but relative to their RTR equivalents (where applicable) they're too expensive. This is my main issue with kits. When an RTR one can be got for £80, I will buy it over a more expensive kit. If the RTR was £100 and the kit £50 - £60 then I would probably choose the kit.

I'd probably prefer building kits, but (at the moment) RTR and 3D printing are cheaper, relatively speaking.

See the extensive recent discussion on Tony Wright's thread. Some strongly-held views are expressed there but I think it boils down to: what sort of modelling do you want to do? To which the answer has to be: the sort of modelling that gives me pleasure, regardless of what anyone else thinks. (Though that will never stop others from putting in their 1/2d-worth.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

See the extensive recent discussion on Tony Wright's thread. Some strongly-held views are expressed there but I think it boils down to: what sort of modelling do you want to do? To which the answer has to be: the sort of modelling that gives me pleasure, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

The problem is, many actually don’t know what that is.

Which is why I ask so many questions, which usually boil down to, “What do you actually want from your hobby?” *

Always worth considering, “How do you know you can’t do that until you have actually tried it?”

(Though that will never stop others from putting in their 1/2d-worth.)

Inflation has obviously devalued opinions, but that’s just my two denari’s worth...

(And see above.)

* There are no magic answers. That much I know.

I am still asking myself what I want, although I have actually tried many things.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

“How do you know you can’t do that until you have actually tried it?”

This is the most important question of this hobby!! 2 years ago I would have told you I couldn't model pre-grouping as I couldn't build kits, scratch build locos, kit-bash carriages, or make buildings!!

Giving it a go seems to have done the trick!!

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Wish I could afford DJH kits, but relative to their RTR equivalents (where applicable) they're too expensive. This is my main issue with kits. When an RTR one can be got for £80, I will buy it over a more expensive kit. If the RTR was £100 and the kit £50 - £60 then I would probably choose the kit.

I'd probably prefer building kits, but (at the moment) RTR and 3D printing are cheaper, relatively speaking.

Look at it this way.

Let’s, for sake of argument, assume that RTR and kit are each £100, and that the kit will take you 100 hours to build. We will also assume that you will enjoy building the kit, otherwise what’s the point?

The cost of enjoyment on a per-hour basis can be simply calculated as price/hours. The kit therefore costs you £1 per hour.

The RTR model takes no time to build, and we have division by zero, the answer to which is infinity.

Therefore, the RTR model is ludicrously expensive. Even if you add in a factor for time spent playing with it, adding something to infinity is still infinity.

OK, some will say, surely it should be cost divided by total hours of enjoyment, not adding a separate factor.

Let’s assume that you get 100 hours of enjoyment out of operating the two.

The kit model is now costing you £100/(100+100), = £0.50 per hour.

The RTR model is now costing you £100/(0+100), = £1.00 per hour.

The kit is still better value.

Let’s increase it to 1,000 hours of enjoyment.

The kit model is now costing you £100/(100+1,000), = £0.09 per hour.

The RTR model is now costing you £100/(0+1,000), = £0.10 per hour.

The kit is still better value.

No matter what you do, the kit will always present slightly better value - although after 10,000 hours (that’s a lot of running!) we are going to be talking of less than a penny per hour, regardless of theoretical value.

100 hours of operating the loco is more or less 20 minutes per day, so not impossible. It is quite likely that a good kit, with lots of detail, may take longer to build, further reducing the cost per hour and thereby increasing the value for money.

So, as long as you prefer the kit, as long as it doesn’t cost more than twice the RTR equivalent, on the basis of 20 minutes per day, it still represents better value for money.

I have purposely not mentioned the additional issue of personal pride in having built or modified something, which in my experience is priceless.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This is the most important question of this hobby!! 2 years ago I would have told you I couldn't model pre-grouping as I couldn't build kits, scratch build locos, kit-bash carriages, or make buildings!!

Giving it a go seems to have done the trick!!

Ultimate proof of this is found, in amongst the verbiage, banter, digressions and pictures of the lovely Jenny Agutter (the “knicker-waver from The Railway Children”), within this part of the forum on a well-known thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2989785

It is incredible to believe that only a few weeks ago, James was saying that he couldn’t make track, but as a result of what we might term consistent positive bullying, he got down and did it.post-32558-0-35316600-1515856173.jpeg

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

Ultimate proof of this is found, in amongst the verbiage, banter, digressions and pictures of the lovely Jenny Agutter (the “knicker-waver from The Railway Children”), within this part of the forum on a well-known thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2989785

It is incredible to believe that only a few weeks ago, James was saying that he couldn’t make track, but as a result of what we might term consistent positive bullying, he got down and did it.attachicon.gifEE3F4B44-00E4-4D92-9F13-531163C9534E.jpeg

Now, you see, I am imagining one of those charity fund-raising adverts, you know, plaintive piano music in the background and a voice-over by Penelope Wilton:

I want to talk to you about modelling phobia.  An increasing number of middle aged men in Britain are suffering from this tragic and debilitating condition.

But it does not have to be like this.  With your help, we can help suffers to find and apply the skills they need to build their own stock, or track.

James thought he could not build track. But positive bullying forced him to make a start and now he has spent so long hand-building point-work that he can no longer remember why he started railway modelling. 

For just two positive bullying posts a day, you could help someone like James conquer his fear of modelling, and start a project that will literally never end.

Please give whatever you can.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Change the voice over to Jenny Agutter (although Penelope Wilton is perfectly acceptable as a stand in) and you’re on. We keep showing pictures, but let’s not forget that voice...

PS It should be noted that you, too, have recently engaged in this activity with a new poster who now has a thread of his own as a consequence!

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think one consideration on RTR / kits/ scratch building is not just individual elements, but also how long is it going to take to achieve a layout with an overall look which you’re happy with? You can worry about the depth of your purse,and how much enjoyment you can get from model building, but as our mate Barnier keeps saying “the clock is ticking”. You have to place a worth both on your time, and how much may be available. I’m in my eighties, and far more interested in kits than scratch building as a result.

• Like 3

Hi Chris,

Yes I was aware of the split. THe good thing is what peco buying the range has meant is I can actually get the Parkside bits easier!! as my local model shop has an account with Peco, but never did with Parkside Dundas as there wasn't enough demand for it!! Peco seem to have released at least most of the Parkside range now judging by then new catalogue. my plan is to use the PA08 RCH 9ft wheelbase chassis, chopped as necessary to make something resembling the chassis for whatever wagons I need, it won't be perfect but hopefully will be good enough!!

I will however post plans as needed on here for advice!!

Gary

Hi Gary.

There are no buffers or buffer beams in the Parkside Chassis kits, as well as no wheels or bearings...

So......I will have to look into wagon buferse

I have used four Tri-ang Railways buffers on my Airfix Cattle wagon, as one of the Airfix buffers seems to have gone missing.

A shame, but I do believe it a bit late in the day to send the complaints slip of to Haldane Place! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1