The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

I'll go with that! The smaller groups of active modellers seem to all have a friendlier attitude. I agree that, with a few exceptions (**CoughDeanGoodsCough**), all RTR models around at the moment look fine! Unless there's a general look that seems entirely wrong, as there is with the Dean goods, I agree that many small details can be overlooked, especially based on the 4ft (I've read too much of the Peco thread!  :jester:) Gauge track. Funnily enough, I once planned a model of the Padarn Railway to exploit this, then exhibit it to see how many people comment that the gauge is wrong, when in that case it wouldn't!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's tomorrow now!

That's a good point it was technically "tomorrow" when I wrote that! However I was going to bed at the time. You will have to wait until I get home from work!!

I'm sure Gary wouldn't object to repainting your B1 (Don't know how long it would be until you get it back though), but it looks great in Southern Green! (Don't hang me for heresy!)

I think Alex's message to me on twitter sums up the chances of that happening.

post-22762-0-18104100-1516094789.png

Although I would happily do it.

Usually account deletion happens only when the user requests it: most simply say, “removed a/c XXXX” and are registered as a guest.

Yes Alex requested his account being deleted, I should have been clearer about that.

It always strikes me as slightly amusing when some people fly off the handle over a minor imperfection on an 00 model: I mean, there is a big error in that the track is to the wrong gauge. As CJF pointed out in the mid 70s, whilst still at the helm of Railway Modeller, the great advantage of 00 is that having accepted the gauge discrepancy, it is easier to overlook a few other errors, too, without getting too worked up about it.

This has always been my opinion of 00 gauge. My models may not be prefect, but neither is the track gauge

On fiction, my daughter writes “fan fiction” and I believe she has over a million followers. But she won’t tell me what is her nom-de-plume!

Judging by some of the "fan fiction" I have read, there may be a good reason she won't tell you her nom-de-plume!! Remember 50 shades of grey started as fan fiction!! (Sorry to bring down the tone!!)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This has always been my opinion of 00 gauge. My models may not be prefect, but neither is the track gauge.

No excuse for not trying, though.

I was more amused a few years back with the S4 Soc selling a handgun of Bachman class 25s pre-fitted with Ultrascale P4 wheels, as a “starter” engine.

Firstly, the only diffuse thing about fitting Ultrascale replacement wheel sets is the lengthy wait for them, circa 9 months I am told, so a 9 month and 20 minute job, then.

Secondly, if you feel that this simple task is beyond you, then maybe S4 is not for you.

Thirdly, the misshapen front end was a much bigger fault than the track gauge.

Put it on a layout, and the layout is diminished.

When the latter point was raised, an officer of the Society actually said, “Ah, but think how good the track will look without the loco.” Quite. So you don’t need one, then...

All academic now, given the superlative SLW model which is also available in EM and P4. (And given the quality, dirt cheap despite what the moaners say.)

Judging by some of the "fan fiction" I have read, there may be a good reason she won't tell you her nom-de-plume!! Remember 50 shades of grey started as fan fiction!! (Sorry to bring down the tone!!)

Careful... you are talking about a man’s daughter.

To the man.

(My wife has read it, and has not raised any alarm bells.)

Also - and I have not read it so this is based on hearsay - isn’t “50 Shades” only loosely related to fiction?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree. Mine are not perfect through ability rather than not trying! If I felt I had the ability to make perfect scale models then I would also want the track gauge to be right!! Who knows what may happen in the future!!! Although seeing how long the P4 at club is taking I may not go that way!

Careful... you are talking about a man’s daughter.

To the man.

(My wife has read it, and has not raised any alarm bells.)

Also - and I have not read it so this is based on hearsay - isn’t “50 Shades” only loosely related to fiction?

Well it must be good for her to have a million followers. I would never mean anything bad about your daughter!!

I far as I am aware "50 shades" is only loosely related to literature!!! My misses does like it though!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Mine are not perfect through ability rather than not trying!

Practice makes perfect, or at least gets one closer to perefection!

I far as I am aware "50 shades" is only loosely related to literature!!! My misses does like it though!!

I take it we are talking about the book? ;)

By the way, I would shake the hand of anyone brave enough to take my daughter off my hands... ;)

I was more amused a few years back with the S4 Soc selling a handgun of Bachman class 25s pre-fitted with Ultrascale P4 wheels, as a “starter” engine.

Firstly, the only diffuse thing about fitting Ultrascale replacement wheel sets is the lengthy wait for them, circa 9 months I am told, so a 9 month and 20 minute job, then.

Secondly, if you feel that this simple task is beyond you, then maybe S4 is not for you.

Thirdly, the misshapen front end was a much bigger fault than the track gauge.

Put it on a layout, and the layout is diminished.

When the latter point was raised, an officer of the Society actually said, “Ah, but think how good the track will look without the loco.” Quite. So you don’t need one, then...

All academic now, given the superlative SLW model which is also available in EM and P4. (And given the quality, dirt cheap despite what the moaners say.)

Anybody remember the Studiolith ad that boasted about how good their wheels looked? - On an unmodified Dublo Castle!

Hope you are feeling better Gary

Edited by laurenceb

• RMweb Gold

Anybody remember the Studiolith ad that boasted about how good their wheels looked? - On an unmodified Dublo Castle!

Also a Dublo 8F, I seem to recall.

Yes, they were an improvement, but like the articles, they focused on the wheels and the track, rather than the whole picture.

Now, I do understand that, as everything else would be the same regardless of gauge, e.g. flush glazing, finer handrails, etc, - in fact, in many cases it might be more work, to cope with narrower than scale back-to-back, oversized flanges, etc, but by essentially saying, “The only thing that’s different is the track and wheels,” they managed to position themselves as a re-wheeling exercise, rather than about making a finescale approach even finer.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fortunately, the "fine scale" movement seems to have moved on from just track and wheels to the overall picture, which is what I think all of us here are trying to achieve, while accepting that we aren';t expert in every field. My Rhymney wagons are not perfect, in fact several of them insist on warping, but they have no competition from Hornby and they are the most accurate ones I have seen simply because i have hardly seen any others. So I am happy with them.

Similarly with the Brighton, SECR etc. One is not going to find a show full of look-alikes. And just as important, they are very attractive to model.

Briefly on writing, I have written many thousands of words as a professional technical journalist, but I promise not to bore you with any of it, unless you really want a series on the Wiring Regulations (obsolete edition). But what it has given me is skills I can apply for the societies i belong to - and a hatred of the greengrocer's apostrophe(!) which perhaps makes me too critical sometimes of the writing of others. what it has never given me is the ability to type accurately!

Speaking of which I note that the standard of English in the pre-grouping section is much higher than is common in many other areas of the net.

in fact it is really the only place to be.

Jonathan

PS No diesels on Oak Hill please, even if they are named "Blue Lightning"

• Like 5

Well, whilst discussing Edwardiana, one must strive for the same levels of speech and grammar - Indeed, if one does not match such levels they may find themselves becoming the centre of much jollity!

Oh dear... it's been a long day!

The link doesn't work! Oh well, the thread is on the pre-grouping forum index.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I suggest Literary musings be continued here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130236-the-pre-groupers-literary-corner/

Didn't really want to post it in MM&M, so kept it here within the forum, if nobody objects!

What a good idea! I enjoyed our literary musings last night, and having it's own place just for the more civilised part of RMWeb seems a good idea.

Ooh, that link isn't working!

This one should! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130235-the-pre-groupers-literary-corner/

Fortunately, the "fine scale" movement seems to have moved on from just track and wheels to the overall picture, which is what I think all of us here are trying to achieve, while accepting that we aren';t expert in every field. My Rhymney wagons are not perfect, in fact several of them insist on warping, but they have no competition from Hornby and they are the most accurate ones I have seen simply because i have hardly seen any others. So I am happy with them.

Similarly with the Brighton, SECR etc. One is not going to find a show full of look-alikes. And just as important, they are very attractive to model.

Briefly on writing, I have written many thousands of words as a professional technical journalist, but I promise not to bore you with any of it, unless you really want a series on the Wiring Regulations (obsolete edition). But what it has given me is skills I can apply for the societies i belong to - and a hatred of the greengrocer's apostrophe(!) which perhaps makes me too critical sometimes of the writing of others. what it has never given me is the ability to type accurately!

Speaking of which I note that the standard of English in the pre-grouping section is much higher than is common in many other areas of the net.

in fact it is really the only place to be.

Jonathan

PS No diesels on Oak Hill please, even if they are named "Blue Lightning"

I agree, finescale is something to strive for, and I personally have already seen improvement in my modelling, so hopefully one day I will get there.

I think you are right about the English being of a higher standard here than elsewhere on the web. I for one hate "text speak" and much prefer to write in full sentences. I also like to sign of each of my posts, even though I now have my name in my signature, as I know not everyone can see that.

As for the diesels, I won't be getting a Class 66 anytime soon! but you should probably avoid going back to when I got my class 33!! (Would 2 of them make a class 66? Answers below.)

Gary

• Like 1

An update on the Parkside Wagon Underframe (Chassis) Kits Contents....from PECO Catalogue...

All come with the wagon floor.

PA06 LNER type 10 foot Vac. Fitted. (From 5 plank open kit). No Buffers/ Beam. Plastic tension lock couplings inc.

PA07 BR type 9 foot Unfitted Morton Brakes (From BR 16 Ton mineral kit). Inc Buffers/beam, and Plastic tension lock couplings.

PA08 BR/RCH  type 9 foot Unfitted Double Brakes (From BR French (SNCF) type16 Ton mineral kit). No Buffers/beam, Plastic tension lock couplings inc.

PA09 BR type 10 foot Vac fitted Push Brakes (+ Tiebar) (From BR Shock Openl kit). Inc Buffers/beam, and Plastic tension lock couplings.

PA10 BR type 12 foot Unfitted Morton Brakes (From LNER 21ton Loco Coal kit). Inc Buffers/beam, and Plastic tension lock couplings.

PA16 BR&LMS type 10 foot Vac fitted Clasp Brakes (From BR & LMS Van Kits). Inc BR and LMS type solebars/axleboxes. No Buffers/beam, Plastic tension lock couplings inc.

PA30 BR VEA AIR BRAKED  (from BR VEA kit) No Buffers/beam, No Plastic tension lock couplings inc.

PA35 BR/LNER pattern type 10 foot Vac fitted Clasp Brakes (From BR /LNER Steel Open kit). No Buffers/beam, No Plastic tension lock couplings inc.

PA36 LNER pattern type DIAMOND FRAME BOGIES 1 pair. (From LNER Bogie Sulphate/ Brick/ Quad Bogie Bolster Kits.) Bolsters (pivot plates) andPlastic tension lock couplings inc.

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately, the "fine scale" movement seems to have moved on from just track and wheels to the overall picture, which is what I think all of us here are trying to achieve, while accepting that we aren';t expert in every field.

I wonder how much they actually set progress back, at least for 4mm scale.

Oh, and some of them went on to upset the 7mm “family”, too.

• Like 1

"u old fshnd giza gaz. u nd 2 keep ^ with times m8"

Urgh, proposterous language!

I, for one, always make attempts to retain full sentences whether posting on a forum or composing an essay.

Good Day, Sir.

Eustace Missenden, Esq

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, in some vain attempt to direct the thread back to the topic of Oak Hill!

I have been experimenting with couplings on the Birdcages. As I'm sure some of you know I have for quite a while had screw / three links, however I have never actually gotten around to fitting any!

but I did play with some on the birdcages, and it has really reinforced my choice to go with them for the layouts stock!

Some comparison shots, firstly of the carriage ends:

post-22762-0-11615300-1516137888_thumb.jpg

and the connection between the carriages, Bachmann couplings:

post-22762-0-55730700-1516137893_thumb.jpg

Screw link couplings:

post-22762-0-09610000-1516137891_thumb.jpg

The couplings used here are not actually attached to the carriages, and they require some work to the buffers as they are solid. I think I need to replace them with sprung buffers, but from where?

Also, as I keep update pictures in nicely labelled folders, I can tell you that this is Oak Hill's 100th update!!!!! :danced: :danced: :danced:

Thank you for looking, I hope you enjoyed, and I look forward to the next 100!!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Could you cut the heads and shanks off and then drill out the stocks and add a normal sprung bufferhead (with an oval head) and then make up a guide for the tail to stop it rotating?

Andy G

• Like 2

Ah, my apologies for the off topic errand Sir, I hope you found it enjoyable nonetheless. You're not on the Castle Aching level yet, so that's one thing! I look forward to your experiments with screw links!

Ever yours, (Hmm... maybe not!)

E. Missenden, Esq (SEC,SRY, BRS, REC)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sir Eustace,

I have indeed enjoyed our off topic wanderings of the past few days!! I am in fact most likely going to drag it slightly off topic tomorrow!! With a post I have prepared for you, that hopefully everyone will enjoy!!

Gary

• Like 2