The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gary.

My sister and I once had to travel all th eway from Bexhill-On-Sea (LBSC) to Brighton in the "wrong" part of a 2-Hap! (2X2-Hap, before they made up the 4-car 4-Cap by "permanently" coupling th e2X 2-Haps, luggage ends ouward, and painting th einner cabs blue (or black...doubt creeps in regards the actual colour!)

"Wrong", in that it was the coach with no lavatory accomodation!

Things began to get urgent just after leaving Polegate.... :O

I do very much like the SECR coaches....but no way can we afford them! :( (Even in BR Crimson... ;).)

Still, they are a must for Oak Hill....

I have now had a quick look thorough the Jan. Issue of Railway Modeller.

The Pre-group layout is nice....it is basically an oval, with part behind a backscene, with a small terminus station in the "middle".

I think it may be a good inspiration for more Pre-group modelling?

Hi Sarah,

Not a fun trip then!!

I did pick my RM at the weekend, based on your advice! I have not had a proper look yet but I have seen the pictures and it looks like a very nice layout!

Just thought, when you work out what length the wire needs to be, could you shorten a screw shackle and then solder it up solid?

Andy g

Good Idea, I shall look at that!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Right then. I promised a literary work, and a literary work you shall receive!!

So Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you "The Engines of Oak Hill" Part 1 - YouTube script. Feedback greatly appreciated!

post-22762-0-29456500-1516217788_thumb.jpg

Episode 1 - Welcome to Oak Hill By Gary Kemp

Narrator: Long ago in the earliest years of the 20th century, there were 100s of railway companies in Britain. Sometimes they worked together, sometimes they fought against each other, and sometimes they did both at the same time.

These stories are about two of those companies, The London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, and The newly formed South Eastern & Chatham Railway, which had only come into existence a few years earlier with the joining of the South Eastern Railway and the London, Chatham & Dover Railway. These are the stories of The Engines of Oak Hill!

Play Titles

Outside the engine shed. Hailsham is being prepared for his train, Primrose arrives having just finished her run

Primrose: Hello there.

Hailsham: Hello, who are you?

Primrose: I´m Primrose, I have just been assigned here. Who are you?

Hailsham: I´m Hailsham, like it says on my tanks. Speaking of tanks what does SE&CR mean.

Primrose: It´s the South Eastern & Chatham Railway

Hailsham: What is a South Eastern & Chatham Railway? This is the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway.

Primrose: I will have you know the SE&CR is the premier line to the south of London!

Hailsham: Are you sure? A name like Primrose makes you sound like a delicate flower, not a strong engine for pulling trains!

Primrose: I beg your pardon! At least a Primrose is a real thing, who has ever heard of a "Hailsham"!

Hailsham: Hailsham is a place, it is the station I was originally built for. I used to haul the Hailsham shuttle from Eastbourne, and when I was at Hailsham everyone knew I was in charge, even the big express engines did what I told them. If I wanted to go first then I would, and there was nothing they could do about it. Of course, I didn’t do that often. I used to say "off you go then, get your passengers home, just be quick." And so they would.

Primrose: Wow, you must have bee……….

Oak Hill pulls up to the coaling stage, he does not seem impressed with the behaviour of Hailsham towards the new engine.

Oak Hill: Poppycock!!

Hailsham: Excuse me?!

Oak Hill: You heard me terrier! You were never "in charge" at Hailsham. You just knew the timetable and would say things just before the signalman acted to make it seem like you were in charge!

Hailsham: Yes…. Well….. Ermm…… I have a train to take…… Goodbye……. Nice meeting you Primrose

Hailsham felling rather embarrassed quickly pulls of scene to collect his train

Oak Hill: You will have to excuse Hailsham, he just likes to feel important. Now Primrose was it?

Primrose: Yes, and I guess you are Oak Hill?

Oak Hill: Yes, I was built for this line, I have worked it since before The Brighton took over. I only pull goods trains between here and the junction now but that suits me just fine, I was not built for trains as heavy as the ones we have now. Hailsham pulls a shuttle service to Eridge to meet with the London expresses. What will you be doing?

Primrose: I have been assigned here to pull a shuttle to Tunbridge Wells to meet with the trains heading to London and Hastings.

Oak Hill: Well now that is interesting, we already have one of your SE&CR cousins working here. Only two services a day one early in the morning straight to London and one back in the evening. He sleeps in the shed but I have never been able to speak with him as he is always very late back and goes straight to sleep so I do not know his name or class, but he seems like a good engine.

Primrose: Thank you Oak Hill, I look forward to working here and getting to know everyone.

Oak Hill: Well that should not take long; you are only the fifth engine allocated here.

Primrose: Well I guess I have met half the engines already then! Now if you would excuse me, I need to get some rest before my next run.

Oak Hill: Of course, go ahead, and welcome to Oak Hill.

END

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Sarah,

I have taken inspiration from a few places.

Obviously there is The Reverend himself

There is also "Wildnorwester" on YouTube, someone who any fan of the RWS books should check out!!

and my personal favourite "fan series" The British Railway Stories by Simon Martin

As well as other books seen over time that are too long to list here!

Gary

• Like 3

I still remember seeing pictures of beautiful green tank engines in my copy of 'Stepney the Bluebell Engine'. Digging it out now, it's No.27 (Your own 'Primrose', no less!) and 'Bluebell' sat together outside Horsted Keynes 'box. Theres also some lovely illustrations of 488, the NLR tank and Captain Baxter (All, interestingly, without faces...) as well as (of course) No.55!

You're a braver man than I, but I look forward to watching the first episode!

Go on... film it in either black & white or sepia... on film... you know you want to!!!  :jester:

• Like 1

As my site signature says......

You know what was said to Station Master Porter when they said he was to be in charge of 'Buggleskelly' and its remoteness .....?

Superintendent ;

' It's a country station, rather off the beaten track'

William Porter 

' Oh I don't mind as long as it's near the railway'

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1

Back to Birdcages I think, Gary... we don't want Oak Hill turning into a certain East-Anglian village on the West Norfolk...

Do the birdcages have budgies in them?

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

Well birdcages are obviously the wrong subject to go back to!!

So how about we all cast our minds back to July last year instead, when I got a Hornby Dublo R1 and did a fair amount of work to it to bring the detail of the model more up to date.

As I'm sure all followers of Oak Hill know our newest active member has created a set of paper overlays for the R1, which are very nice!! as my R1 has found out!

post-22762-0-35244000-1516384810_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-43589800-1516384816_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-14282100-1516384824_thumb.jpg

and If you ask me I think that is holds up quite sell next to its much more modern cousin!!

So many thanks Sir Eustace!! Your overlays are bl00dy brilliant!!

Gary

• Like 10

I am honoured to have been of service to you, Sir.

Also interested in that you decided to print them on normal paper! Also, did you use the revised ones? In the photos the tankside green looks darker than the boiler green.

Glad you like them though, and (given you're not the only one round here to have used them) I'll be doing a few others before too long. Any requests? I have some LSWR ones for an M7 on the hard drive, along with some ROD ones for a Mainline Dean Goods. I need to finish my terrier ones (I.E.G, but a more 'Yellow' shade than Hornby's.). I may not make these latter ones available as they mostly utilise components sent to me by Pete (Of 'Saltdean' Fame) who originally inspired the idea.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well the decision to print them on normal paper came from me still not having ink at home so I used the laser printer at the office. However I only have inkjet waterslide paper. Yes this is the revised sheet, the colour is very slightly darker. It does not show as much in real life as it does on the camera. I am very happy with them!

Now I just need some for my SECR Terrier, C Class and O1!! I will be cutting the SECR plates off the Wartime grey version for my N Class!

Gary

• Like 1

I can probably manage the terrier and the C (Both Bachmann & GBL, should there be any differences), but I will need photos and measurements for the O1 as I don't (yet!) have one.

I'll do up a sheet of SE&CR Plates for you then!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well my O1 is being made from a GBL C Class so the body will be the same except for the number. I haven't actually decided on a number yet!! I can take some measurements of the tender body as that is the only bit that should need changing. Perhaps once mine is done I can make you a guide for doing your own?

My C Class is GBL as well. What a good source of parts that magazine was!! If they had released a Terrier issue I would have brought 50!!

Your help on these is greatly appreciated!

Gary

• Like 1

First issue in the new series 'Great British Terrier Collection' will be No.55 Stepney As-Preserved, followed up by 'Boxhill', 'Waddon' and 'Fenchuch' before settling down to complete the entire class in every livery until the only subscribers are a few Sussex-Based RMweb members...

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

Only 2?

I do hope the idea is revisited... apparently the terrier was very near to production when it all stopped, and I seem to remember it was meant to come with a coach as well... as was the 14xx... and the Austerity was meant to have a wagon.

Great British Tank Engines? Start with a Blue E2 and you'll have a seller...

• Like 1