The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

There are others that have used the Jinty chassis as described in the article under the GBL C Class that I am using as a donor. However I think it intrudes into the space under the boiler which I am trying to preserve if possible.

It is however an Idea I hadn't considered that I could pursue as an alternative to cutting something up!!

Gary

• Like 2

Golden Arrow Productions New model SECR Class O1

(I wonder if the tender would be available on its own?)

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/gallery.htm

3890.jpg

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm

NEW! SECR/SR/BR 'O1' class 0-6-0. (£55)

3739.jpg

These were Wainwright rebuilds of the SER 'O' class, working from early SECR days until 1962. They were simple, robust & lightweight, giving almost universal route availability. No. 65 is preserved on the Bluebell railway, the sole example of an ex-SER locomotive. Designed to fit the Chinese-made Hornby 'Jinty' etc. chassis, & comes with the distinctive outside-sprung tender, which will need 16mm wheels. more...

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It does look good!! but I think it confirms that the Jinty chassis intrudes on the space under the boiler!!

It has the front splashers as well!! Which number 65 on the Bluebell doesn't making photos of that section harder to find!

I have found in my "bits box" a set wheels for the tender a set of driving wheels, a chassis with the right wheel spacing, and coupling rods!! So if I can find my smaller motors I may well have everything I need as I'm sure there are some gearboxes with them!!

If I do then I will have done this for a lot less than the £55 of the kit, never mind the cost of the chassis and tender wheels!!

Gary

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask where you get your clairvoyant abilities from?

I have just come out of the bits' boxes with my motors, and they fit perfectly!! and the spare chassis matching the one I had checked the wheel spacings against, and a few bits for other projects. (LB&SCR B4 anyone!) but no gearboxes!! I know I had some but god only knows what happened to them. I shall have to have a look at the High Level range to see if anything will fit what I now have!!

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So guys,

Quick update. I had my second endoscopy attempt this morning. It went poorly again :(

I am only just recovered from the sedation that they used and am nearly ready for bed again! I cannot remember the procedure, but apparently I tried to get off the bed mid way through!!!

This means I will have to have it done a third time, this time under general anaesthetic!

In the meantime I have done some more to the O1 tender since you last saw it, and I think I have now got all the parts to complete the project together, the workbench should be back up over the weekend giving me a chance to work on it properly.

A "before and after" photo showing the O1 Tender body next to the unaltered C Class one:

post-22762-0-09313900-1515194115_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Branchlines do a good range of gearboxes too, worth giving Brian a call and ask him to email his motor/gearbox sheets over, or if you pm me I can forward them to you.

Many years ago I spoke with the lad behind Golden Arrow kits, and he was happy to supply parts from one of his kits, so if you just want tenders it might be worth giving him a bell.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

THanks Andy,

I had forgotten about Branchlines. I think I have his motor/gearbox catalogue around somewhere. Probably still saved in my emails, I have however found a solutions that means not having to buy anything.

I have spoken to the man at Golden Arrow many times, and a very nice man he is! If fact when I got a cheap bow pen, I handed it over to him and he made it work like a top of the range one!! However I am rather enjoying cutting things up for this project. Once the workbench is back up it shouldn't take long at all!

Gary

• Like 3

A brief history of Oak Hill.

As I said a few days ago I have been working on a history and location for the line to Oak Hill. I now feel ready to post it and would really like feedback regarding it as it is far from finished and I want to make it as good as possible

so Enjoy:

--SNIP--

The history has been re-written and appears in post 491 here

Thanks for looking,

Gary

Hi Gary - I am amazed at the work on this forum and love your layout and little history of Oak Hill. I think scratchbuilding locomotives and working with etched kits may be beyond me, but fascinated to read about the processes. I am researching the Highland Railway Company at present, focussing on the earlier Sutherland Railway. Just ordered a second hand copy of Peter Tatlow’s book on Highland Railway Carriages and may have a go at modelling one in card. I have also been checking out the creative modellers who construct locomotives from card and paper... I am in awe!

Marlyn

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Marlyn,

Thanks for your comments, when I started this thread I also thought those things were beyond me!! Posting to RMWeb was more done as a way of encourage myself to try than anything else, it has since become one of the most enjoyable bits about the hobby having made plenty of friends and picked up a lot by doing so, as well as plenty of encouragement!

If you are looking at the Highland Railway then I really must advise reading the threads of Andy (uax8) who is a superb modeller of the Highland Railway!

Highland Bodgery

Coach bodging

Highland embankment

I am sure you will find some very inspiring things within those threads!!

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, flattery!

I'm in the middle of creating something slightly unusual from an old K's terrier kit at the moment, hopefully this week I'll make enough progress to be able to show it. Most of my other modelling has ground to a holt at the minute, although I do have photos to update the carriage thread, so must do that. As for the loco thread I need to almost start again on there...

I suppose it's good for showing what you can bodge together from odds and ends...

Andy g

Edit If its early HR loco you are interested in, look for Peter Tatlows OPC book on Highland Locos, (drawings are in this one) or the RCTS two volume history of Highland Locos (I noticed that the are available on abebooks at a price much cheaper than I paid for them).

Edited by uax6
  • Like 3

Gosh, flattery!

I'm in the middle of creating something slightly unusual from an old K's terrier kit at the moment, hopefully this week I'll make enough progress to be able to show it. Most of my other modelling has ground to a holt at the minute, although I do have photos to update the carriage thread, so must do that. As for the loco thread I need to almost start again on there...

I suppose it's good for showing what you can bodge together from odds and ends...

Andy g

Edit If its early HR loco you are interested in, look for Peter Tatlows OPC book on Highland Locos, (drawings are in this one) or the RCTS two volume history of Highland Locos (I noticed that the are available on abebooks at a price much cheaper than I paid for them).

Hi Andy,

I already have Peter Tatlow’s Highland Loco book in my collection along with ‘Highland Miscellany’ and a few others. Been collecting them over the years, but not got round to doing any modelling before now. I am happy to learn from folk like yourself who’ve been experimenting and researching the subjects I am interested in. Great to see what you’ve been doing. If I manage to get my quirky cake box challenge out of the way, I might try another based on something historic. I’ve just found a very cheap Del Prado Highland Railway ‘Duke’ online, the colours appear pretty bright and the detail is probably quite coarse, but might be able to tone it down and tweak for a small diorama Also working on a couple of layouts just now, but will post more about these later on this year. Thanks to Gary for directing me to your posts.

Marlyn

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm in the middle of creating something slightly unusual from an old K's terrier kit at the moment.

A working model, with the sides the same length as each other?

(I had a very negative experience with a K’s Terrier kit in the early 1980s, although there were two positive outcomes. Firstly, I changed to S scale where any problems are my own stupid fault, and not someone else’s. Secondly, the castings were melted down and provided quite a few GE open wagon bodies for East Lynn.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well my K's Terrier is currently an E1!! or at least is the start of a body for one, it still needs filler and a chassis. I am planning on getting the chassis kit from EB Models, as it is a very reasonable price and I already have the wheels and rods!

post-22762-0-95549100-1515262638_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 8

Well my K's Terrier is currently an E1!! or at least is the start of a body for one, it still needs filler and a chassis. I am planning on getting the chassis kit from EB Models, as it is a very reasonable price and I already have the wheels and rods!

attachicon.gif2018-01-06 18.14.13.jpg

Gary

Very nice!

To be in Goods Green?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Again Branchlines do a Terrier Chassis, but I'm butchering the K's one, but I'm not using the K's wheels, I'm not that much of a masochist....

Nice work on the E1, I do like the terrier styling, although getting a motor to fit is a nightmare!

Marlyn, that Del-prado Duke is n gauge, which is sad as I'd love something like that to be available for 4mm. The nice thing about the Highland is that you can be imaginative with the later locos, as the Drummond influence travelled far and some are available as RTR, which just needs a bit of modding to get the looks right. I'm happy to discuss things via Pm's if you want....

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I only own 1 K's chassis and that is not the terrier one!! It it the motor bogie and it is currently sitting inside a GBL Caley Single tender, which is waiting to be turned into a Brighton G Class, no guarantees it will stay there though!!

The E1 should be easier to put a motor in that an terrier owing to it's longer body. I have a few purchases to make before the chassis for that but hopefully it will only be a couple of months before it sees work again!

I assume you are working on another Highland Terrier? If so is it going to be LMS condition again? The Terrier being my favourite Loco I have on multiple occasions considered modelling it's Scottish cousin.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The terrier kit was an eBay special, it can't have ever run, as the axles were so tight in the bearings that I could hardly turn the wheels by hand. The K's motor had stripped the teeth off the nylon spur gear! I've found on many occasions that eBay kits have chassis that can never have run....

It's not a Lochgorm terrier, something much cuter, and a simple body conversion. The chassis on the other hand......

Andy g

• Like 3

It does look good!! but I think it confirms that the Jinty chassis intrudes on the space under the boiler!!

It has the front splashers as well!! Which number 65 on the Bluebell doesn't making photos of that section harder to find!

I have found in my "bits box" a set wheels for the tender a set of driving wheels, a chassis with the right wheel spacing, and coupling rods!! So if I can find my smaller motors I may well have everything I need as I'm sure there are some gearboxes with them!!

If I do then I will have done this for a lot less than the £55 of the kit, never mind the cost of the chassis and tender wheels!!

Gary

Remember Gary mines a Golden arrow, and does not come with the additional sandbox on the splasher.

I imagine this was added on by GA.

34250928635_13457c1240_c.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well heres the Terrier as bought:

msg-8375-0-67259100-1512051197.jpg

Heres the chassis as bought, note that the tabs are still on the coupling rods...

msg-8375-0-52599100-1512051248.jpg

The new motor and gearbox is shown here:

msg-8375-0-09108600-1513342453_thumb.jpg

The frames have received a bit of butchery:

msg-8375-0-14817100-1514801638.jpg

They are soldered up, including the round chassis spacers, with the screws removed and filled with solder. First time for chassis soldering and its worked better than expected! In fact it actually runs!

Heres a clue to what she'll become:

msg-8375-0-45915000-1513586712.jpg

But heres the answer:

msg-8375-0-13584900-1512051259.jpg

Its almost an exact match (shown better below), but there is no evidence that Stroudley was involved, it being credited to Jones, but its too much of a match for that surely?

msg-8375-0-57180100-1512051269.jpg

The next bit to work on is the bogie splashers which I'm not looking forward too, but until they are done I can't do anything more with the chassis, as I need to see if anything will need filing off to allow it to go round corners!

Here she is in the condition I'm looking for:

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/24796/1/EN24796-hr-13-lms-15050.htm

In time I'll do a better step by step guide in the loco thread, after I've brought things upto date over there...

Andy G

• Like 7