why is the contraction of a layout power supply thread locked

Junctionmad

actually the circuit in a typical 230 VAC led bulb,  the type you see masquerading as a standard replacement bulb, is typically extremely simple, often a rectifier and capacitance based voltage droper in front of it, and then a series of leds in series with the output . No attempt is are to stabilise the voltage 

http://www.bigclive.com/ledlmp.htm

dave

Wonder what that does to the PF?

Pity about the LEDs, I was under the now mistaken-sounding impression that most of their remaining ineffeciency, and where they produce heat, was in the gubbins to step the voltage down so a dedicated circuit just for them could eliminate that. Doesn't sound practical now, dratted physics.

Whilst LEDs are more efficient than some of the alternatives, the LED chips themselves can still get HOT depending on type and use.

Bit of a bummer.. Have I got to get out my measuring gear....  what's the lumens of a 60W filament lamp?  seems to be about 700lm. The led is supposed to be 806lm, would contravene the trade descriptions act/whatever, if a blatant lie, and it seems bright enough to me. Of course it may be taking 80W to get that, but it is brighter than the previous 60W filament lamp, and also seems brighter than the fluorescent lamps, but many of those were rubbish!  Anyway, the point was that I reckoned 10W LED on 12V dc would be quite feasible, with less electronics in the lamp than for 240Vac

Sorry, I was confusing with compact flourescent low energy bulbs, which are notorious for over-optimistic equivalent power/lumen ratings. I am not sure what the situation is with LED bulbs.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like one of these bulbs has enough small LEDs to light an average model village, and Poundland sell them..  I have a 230 volt 2 watt one and it is at least as bright as a 40 watt filament bulb

Archived