RMweb

PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

What size nut and bolts do I need for the Exactoscale fishplates?

When drilling the rail for them, remember to drill an oversize hole to allow for expansion and contraction of the rail.

It should be 1.1/8" dia which scales to 0.38mm. The fishbolts are 15/16" dia (0.31mm) with a special pear-shaped key under the head. The nuts should be square. Try Ebay.

post-1103-0-99362500-1482486822.jpg

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

Our first cartons of Peco SL-108F Code 75 Bullhead Flextrack have arrived here in Canada!

It looks really nice but is a bit more flexible than Peco Code 75 flat bottom flextrack and needs to be handled with care especially when removing it from the carton as it is a tight fit.

We can ship anywhere in Canada or the USA using regular mail - no courier charges - and will ship single lengths.

Once the joiners and turnouts are available I think this will be a winner for Peco.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When drilling the rail for them, remember to drill an oversize hole to allow for expansion and contraction of the rail.

It should be 1.1/8" dia which scales to 0.38mm. The fishbolts are 15/16" dia (0.31mm) with a special pear-shaped key under the head. The nuts should be square. Try Ebay.

attachicon.giffishbolts.jpg

Martin.

Don't forget to torque them to a scale 350 lbft ;) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif 68.JPG

Stunning pieces, plastic ones are more economical but very fragile, carefully used are fine as when the track is glued to the track bed it takes all the strain, metal ones are much stronger

The only issue I see for using those on 00 is that the flanges will hit the heads of the bolts!

A quick 'adjustment' with a file would probably alleviate that though.

I'm looking forward to the BH points coming out as the plain line looks encouraging.

This way I can build (another) U.K layout and get the track down in a few weeks rather than a year or more with handbuilt E.M or P4.

With failing eye sight, I really cant put myself through all that again! Once was enough. :D 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to torque them to a scale 350 lbft ;)

We have had topics on many forum about how to scale time, speed, weight, Planck's constant, the frequency of the BBC Light Programme in 1953, etc.

I think this will be a first for how to scale torque. Well done RMweb. smile.gif

Martin.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

We have had topics on many forum about how to scale time, speed, weight, Planck's constant, the frequency of the BBC Light Programme in 1953, etc.

I think this will be a first for how to scale torque. Well done RMweb. smile.gif

Martin.

Cheers Martin, although my tongue was firmly in my cheek with that comment I must admit!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A file isn't required as they work fine.

That's good to hear!

Only reason I mentioned it was that I had to file the plastic C&L plates a little on the gauge face as even with Gibson wheels they seemed to catch a little on the flange.

Not much but enough to notice.

Edited by Gary H

A length of Peco bullhead turned up on Friday.  Very impressed with it; certainly it feels very robust and I find that despite their both being to Code 75, more of my stock likes the Peco offering than does the DCC track (the worst offender is a 1960s Triang mail van with flanges that can almost be measured in the inches.  It just plain won't run on DCC track yet grudgingly shuffles along on Peco).  This factor I think is a winner for me- less money to spend on new wheelsets means more for other things.  I like the look of the thing too, in the flesh.  The original image released a few months ago doesn't do the track justice. 

• Like 1

Was watching a video on youtube last night, from Warley 2016:

If you go to 12:55 in the video. Will this new Peco track ever allow us to get something closely resembling this track? It just looks so great (but its O gauge).

Box full of Peco Bullhead arrived just before Christmas and it really is a very good track, I had tried the DCC track, and older C&L, but this one is really straight from the box, and flexes nicely, and stays flat on the baseboards. Just needs new joiners to improve it, the cast ones by Exacto are nice but impractical as they need soldering to give any rigid accurate coupling from one rail section to the next, with all the disruption of having to push back sleepers away from the heat or using heat shunts. The push on types are better in this respect, even though they look a little odd with the wrap around construction.

The new ones for bullhead may work fine on bullhead, but as Peco propose using Flatbottom points with bullhead rail, the joiners may have to continue with the older type to get a match, as the narrower bullhead joiner will not fit flatbottom. The current joiners work fine witt the bullhead, but look very odd when viewed closely. They also allow the bullhead to fit to the flatbottom section perfectly.

The appearance with the smaller inside jaws is just about right, and the smaller jaw gives the older wheels a chance to run well on the track,

I suspect that this track is going to be the new standard, (except for modern image), after all, most steam ran on bullhead rail. The Modern Image user may have to have the modern style track up dated to this 00 standard as well.

Martin.

Shouldn't be too hard  to do. Bolting torque is used as an easy(er) to measure indication of bolt stretch, so all you need to do is design a test rig that allows the application of a carefully calibrated torque value to your 28BA fastener whilst measuring its change of length in (preferably) tenths of a micron or so. You might want to talk to one or two of the 2mm Scale folk :D.

• RMweb Gold

The Modern Image user may have to have the modern style track up dated to this 00 standard as well.

A very good point. All the discussion regarding sleeper dimensions and spacings also apply to flat-bottomed plain track and turnouts.

As obtaining this track has taken us in "the bullhead brigade" a number of years of disorganised, patchy campaigning, with success only beginning to appear once the threat of competition became clear to Peco, I hope the "flat bottom boys" are happy to undertake a similarly prolonged and frustrating campaign in order to earn the right to their "better" track, whatever that might be considered to be.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As obtaining this track has taken us in "the bullhead brigade" a number of years of disorganised, patchy campaigning, with success only beginning to appear once the threat of competition became clear to Peco, I hope the "flat bottom boys" are happy to undertake a similarly prolonged and frustrating campaign in order to earn the right to their "better" track, whatever that might be considered to be.

What I find hard to fathom is that if you model H0 American outline, you already have a fairly accurate representation of H0 track in the form of their Code 83 line of products. It even has check rails made from rail and not plastic and there's no plastic rail in the common crossings either. Ive been fairly well catered for on my layout in that respect.

The only snag being that I find it hard to except the hinged , pressed point blades.

• RMweb Premium

Any news on the expected prices of the track pieces yet.

I would certainly use it if the price is affordable.

Also can it be attached to flat bottom rail or would an adapter piece be required.

I'm certain that its the same height to match their current code 75 FB but being as the rail foot is wider on FB anyway, I cant see it fitting directly to BH rail without a special fish plate.

You'd probably get away with using a conventional FB Code 75 fishplate and just solder it where the join is to BH. Probably be OK I reckon.