Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

No mucking about. This is what you need:

post-13650-0-73420500-1519853414.jpg

A bit too modern for CA, unfortunately (1928).

Jonathan

PS Well done with the track. Much better than my first efforts - and I am not too sure about he track on Sarn Are you taking commissions for track building now?

• Like 3

No mucking about. This is what you need:

A bit too modern for CA, unfortunately (1928).

Jonathan

PS Well done with the track. Much better than my first efforts - and I am not too sure about he track on Sarn Are you taking commissions for track building now?

Is that Norwegian.

dh

Whereabouts in particular?

North London - the LNW control of the NLR? End on junctions at P'boro East or at a Board level?

I suspect it might be stretching things a bit to allow a LNW service, hauled by a LNW engine, to run straight through from P'boro via March, Wisbech and Lynn.

After all, that might set a dangerous Precedent.

Oh dear, time for bed.

• Like 6

Yes, strikes me that it’s more of a snow-macerator than a snow-plough.

Triang actually got (bought rights, I think) all those battle-space things, including the exploding boxcar, and the giraffe car, from Lionel 1950s or earlier 0 gauge.

Recognise this one?

A bit out of period and undignifiedfor CA, so apologies to Mine Host.

If we're talking Battlespace, there's only one vehicle in contention...

post-21933-0-75292500-1519857084.jpg

And it'll do as a snowblower too!!!

Apologies for the timewarp, normal services will be resumed momentarily, as they say...  :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If we're talking Battlespace, there's only one vehicle in contention...

attachicon.gifBSTC_s.jpg

And it'll do as a snowblower too!!!

Apologies for the timewarp, normal services will be resumed momentarily, as they say...  :jester:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-336&do=findComment&comment=3066156

I’ve always thought that looks like Spiney Norman:

attachicon.gifCDCBADFF-ABD0-4034-8CF3-CD2E7FAAACC7.jpeg

Dinsdale!

.., locomotive and stock testing has continued, with an unPrecedented arrival at Castle Aching.

Good Grief !

You kept that well under wraps the other day ! Shades of Dundalk, Newry and Greenore in terms of extra territorial ambitions.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, locomotive and stock testing has continued, with an unPrecedented arrival at Castle Aching.

Very nice - but I can't make out the numberplate? Snowed up here too, so I'll show off by identifying a D385 brake; what looks like a 42' D106 lavatory first - one of the pair of club saloons that we discussed a while back but with a single large window to the central smoking saloon rather than the compartment-style droplight and quarter-lights shown on the diagram; my very favourite 42' carriage of all, one of those D160 lavatory tri-composites with end-windowed coupe compartment (effectively a five-class carriage: first coupe, ordinary first, second, third, and third w/o lavatory); and at the rear a 50' lavatory brake third that looks like D326 - it's not quite clear if the model has an arc or cove roof [Refs. P.A. Millard and I. Tattersall, L&NWR non-corridor carriages (L&NWR Society, 2006); P.A. Millard, L&NWR 30 ft 1 in six-wheeled carriages (L&NWR Society, 2008)].

I do like short bogie coaches - I cannot understand why, when the RTR manufacturers have ventured into pre-Grouping carriages, they have insisted on picking the longest examples (I have the Bachmann 60' SECR carriages in mind of course) - one gets more carriages for the length of train you can accommodate and they don't look so daft on tight curves. Triang had the right idea with their GWR clerestories all those years ago...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

That train does look beautiful.

If I can persuade him to allow me, I will post some photos of trains that a friend has. He collects specifically pre-WW1 made 0 gauge LNWR, which means some absolutely magnificent bits of tin. Those old makers were sensible enough to shorten some of the longer coaches, such as the WCJS 12-wheelers, but they did it cleverly, so that the result was still noticeably longer than everything else.

• Like 4

Good Grief !

You kept that well under wraps the other day ! Shades of Dundalk, Newry and Greenore in trms of extra territorial ambitions.

dh

Well, the only stuff I've had out has been the WN locos and half-built coaches, the latter to help judge train and platform lengths, the position of the train shed etc.

With the need to test short bogie coaches and 6-wheelers, I had to locate some LNWR stuff to run with WNR No.7, then, this morning, it struck me that I might as well uncover the loco, after all, I had never had a chance to run it before (it runs!).

Very nice - but I can't make out the numberplate? Snowed up here too, so I'll show off by identifying a D385 brake; what looks like a 42' D106 lavatory first - one of the pair of club saloons that we discussed a while back but with a single large window to the central smoking saloon rather than the compartment-style droplight and quarter-lights shown on the diagram; my very favourite 42' carriage of all, one of those D160 lavatory tri-composites with end-windowed coupe compartment (effectively a five-class carriage: first coupe, ordinary first, second, third, and third w/o lavatory); and at the rear a 50' lavatory brake third that looks like D326 - it's not quite clear if the model has an arc or cove roof [Refs. P.A. Millard and I. Tattersall, L&NWR non-corridor carriages (L&NWR Society, 2006); P.A. Millard, L&NWR 30 ft 1 in six-wheeled carriages (L&NWR Society, 2008)].

I do like short bogie coaches - I cannot understand why, when the RTR manufacturers have ventured into pre-Grouping carriages, they have insisted on picking the longest examples (I have the Bachmann 60' SECR carriages in mind of course) - one gets more carriages for the length of train you can accommodate and they don't look so daft on tight curves. Triang had the right idea with their GWR clerestories all those years ago...

1211 John Ramsbottom

The pictures suggest to me  that a train of 4 short bogie coaches (as in the earlier picture) does not look overly long at CA. Bogie coaches are likely to be between 42' and 50' and I can only agree that they suit the comprises of model railways far better than 57' or 60' coaches, just as a 2-4-0 suits rather better than a 4-6-0.

The SE&CR 3-sets make sense as a release given the coaches ran together, but there were earlier and shorter 3-sets Bachmann could have chosen, so I assume they went for a 1913 set because the late build date gave them maximum appeal to the BR modeller, to whom the hobby remains in thrall.  

Inspected the Outside and found that the beck had frozen overnight. 

We went for a walk in the cruellest east wind and the Mem. demonstrated her frivolous side (frequently demonstrated where railways are not concerned) by dancing in the middle of a major east-west trunk route that, in normal conditions, a hedgehog with a jet-pack couldn't cross safely.  It's lovely when they close the snow gates!

We also found that signs of our existence have quite literally been obliterated. 

post-25673-0-39374900-1519898527_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-91905900-1519898790_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The SE&CR 3-sets make sense as a release given the coaches ran together, but there were earlier and shorter 3-sets Bachmann could have chosen, so I assume they went for a 1913 set because the late build date gave them maximum appeal to the BR modeller, to whom the hobby remains in thrall.  

That might have been their reasoning, but I think the trio-A (50-ish ft) and trio-B (57ft) sets lasted almost as long. Perhaps they are specifically serving those who model 1965-1967?

Well, we had a top up over night, though the dogs' enthusiasm for the white stuff is undimmed.

Meanwhile, locomotive and stock testing has continued, with an unPrecedented arrival at Castle Aching.

More here too.  Of course everything is at a standstill thanks to the 'red alert'.  We're just hunkering down for the duration.

post-25077-0-11662700-1519901775_thumb.jpg

I like CA's temporary buffer stop, BTW!

Jim

That might have been their reasoning, but I think the trio-A (50-ish ft) and trio-B (57ft) sets lasted almost as long. Perhaps they are specifically serving those who model 1965-1967?

I agree, but I assume they wanted to squeeze every last year of service out of the tooling for the BR modeller. 

The irony for the pre-Grouper is that, when we finally get a pre-Grouping RTR coach release, they are not a particularly apposite choice for owners of either the Hornby H or the Bachmann C.  I don't claim the combinations are impossible, but they wouldn't be typical.

As for typical, I would feel more comfortable about sending a Waterloo/Whitworth than a Precedent cross-country with a short 4-coach train, and I aspire one day to build the London Road kit.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The snow blower is Swiss. They know how to deal with snow, though when I was in the Grisons one time trains had actually been disrupted by the stuff for a day.

I shall have to b aware of possible Premier Lin e contamination here is Sarn. Only a few miles from the joint GWR/LNWR line to Welshpool. And the new club BCR layout could well have borrowings from Crewe, quite apart from the Crewe castoffs that the BCR acquired, complete with chain brakes which were in use in to the 1920s.

Most schools on Powys closed today. Library open until lunch time. Quite a lot of shops not open.

Also, ice on the River Severn. Admittedly it is a bit of a backwater behind some small islands, but most unusual.

Jonathan.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Further thought on the LNWR train, in particular the choice of John Ramsbottom and the high proportion of first class accommodation including that unusual saloon. I suspect this working is a jolly for members of the Crewe section of the IMechE, out to inspect the NNR's interesting selection of motive power, along with the covert opportunity to fraternise with their colleagues from Stratford.

• Like 6

I know that some of the Parish Councillors enjoy reading ancient copies of The Engineer etc, and I noticed at lunchtime that Graces Guide now has a few volumes of an 1830s periodical, The Mechanic's Magazine, digitised.

Good way of using a few spares hours if you are cooped-up, or of wasting a few not-spares hours when you should be doing Something Important, but Boring.

K

• Like 3

I have to say that the LNWR coach livery is lovely, and I'm rather pleased that unlike many companies they never simplified it.

One of the great advantages of pre-group modelling, especially in 7mm scale, is that you can legitimately choose short coaches. My layout for example has a platform that can take 4 six wheelers and an engine. That looks, or rather will look, as the coaches are not complete yet, and in some cases not even started, more impressive than two sixty four footers, which would barely get in the platform at all. As for Mk 3s, well, they would look simply ludicrous, even if they got around the curves.

Of course, to take my argument to its logical conclusion, many of us would be better off modelling the 1850s, when coaches were really short.

• Like 2

As it had stopped snowing, we decided to take a 3-mile hike across the fields into the town.

The east wind remained bitter and was blowing the snow into drifts.  In crossing the fields we passed from ankle deep to waist deep in a few steps and back again.  Mainly it was calf high. At one point we found a hole and disappeared up to our chests!  Such Larks!

But very picturesque!  Not everyone's walk to the shops takes them passed a ruined abbey, or via a stone bridge across a wooded river valley.   

post-25673-0-31674100-1519927940_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61640900-1519928199_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-11142900-1519928280_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-55705300-1519928361_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 17