Probably in the wrong thread, but old-fashioned Railway modellers we’re greatly taken-up with such things. They would fully signal a circle of tinplate track and one siding. All the old text books contain a chapter telling you how to make an interlocking frame, and at least one shows how to do it with old clothes pegs and string (I did not make that up, honestly). Nobody would have felt themselves to be a ‘real railway modeller’ until they’d mastered this topic.

Meanwhile, there was no scenery beyond the railway boundary fence.

Then, some time around WW2, something changed, and from then on ‘real railway modellers’ had to build all the trees of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire, and all the birds to sing in them, but interlocking gradually came to be viewed in much the same way as alchemy.

Odd really.

• Like 3

At least no-one here has actually proposed a fully interlocked mechanical frame for CA.  There have been some published in various mags (I think Railway Modeller had a couple of articles a few years ago), but not being an absolute lunatic I've never thought of even toying with the idea.....

I wonder where the nearest asylum to Biggar is?  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95081-kirkallanmuir/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2614666 There's the State Hospital at Carstairs, but you've basically got to kill someone and be found criminally insane before getting in there!  I don't think building a locking frame counts.

Happily-round-the-bend of Biggar

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's nivar to lete Meestar Hrothe...

I surgist ve incoorage our leetell frind too invist in such an enteristing propestioen, no? Too 'Pluy zee game' as zu Ingleesh put eet?<Dodgy accent /off>

I believe the Surgeon of Crowthorne may have difficulty providing the origin and proof of spelling of the above words to the Oxford English Dictionary. You may be required to attend and assist..

Oh Dear... what have I done...

Its just like "Katie's Big Buffers" in the Hattons Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" thread.  Keep quiet and people will forget you started the whole thing off....

Oops.  :whistle:

• RMweb Gold

I just want it to work!

Precisely I didn't push my ideas too far and tried to give you what you asked for in a simple way. Also the manner I suggested of bringing the jumpers to the front into terminal blocks would enable you to change the connections later on if you so wanted. I believe what I suggested will work for you but if there are things you want, operational methods which you feel are not covered let me know and I can suggest a revised plan.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Firstly there are at least  two people on this forum who understand signalling Stationmaster and Beast. Stationmaster Mike has been most helpful with my enquiries about signalling.

As I mentioned Bob Harper built an interlocked frame for Maristow and I find it a delight to work. It has made me want to make one for myself and is something I wish to try to achieve. Caley Jim on here has designed his own etches for a lever frame and locking frame. 

But this is not something for those starting out modelling. Many have little interest and interlocking is not necessary for the enjoyment of a layout. Perhaps you need to have experienced working a box

to want to replicate it.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Firstly there are at least  two people on this forum who understand signalling Stationmaster and Beast. Stationmaster Mike has been most helpful with my enquiries about signalling.

As I mentioned Bob Harper built an interlocked frame for Maristow and I find it a delight to work. It has made me want to make one for myself and is something I wish to try to achieve. Caley Jim on here has designed his own etches for a lever frame and locking frame. 

But this is not something for those starting out modelling. Many have little interest and interlocking is not necessary for the enjoyment of a layout. Perhaps you need to have experienced working a box

to want to replicate it.

Don

Quite so Don (there are others too of course) and this is a good place to acknowledge once again Mike's help and advice in developing my signalling arrangements.

• Like 2

Maj. Gen. Davids (RaR), may I be permitted to express my intrigue at the steam locomotive-type device exemplified by your 'profile picture'? I am most intrigued by it, and would very much like to produce a model if you would be able to produce further details.

Your's,

Semi (DETa, CHED)

A laudable aspiration, though I fear that this may be where bravery slips fatally into foolhardiness!

Still, a description of the prototype is well worth the hearing.

David ....

This is a very clear video of a delightful model of William Brunton's 'Mechanical Traveller' or 'Steam Horse'. I believe it gets exhibited at Saffron Walden model engineering exhibitions.

dh

• Like 2

This is a very clear video of a delightful model of William Brunton's 'Mechanical Traveller' or 'Steam Horse'. I believe it gets exhibited at Saffron Walden model engineering exhibitions.

dh

That is stunning work, and I note that the next video is of the horse in motion on the completed diorama.

I showed the Daughter, who was very interested in your avatar, and she said "Cool. I want one".

• Like 10

The Mechanical Traveller/Steam Horse videos are quite marvellous.  I'd seen mention of the idea in various books along the lines of "Hohoho, what a silly way to do it!", but never really considered the reason why Brunton would want to implement such a  curious approach to the concept of steam locomotion or how it actually worked. 

Trevithecks locomotives had been demonstrated in public from 1804 onwards, showing the utility of driven wheels for propulsion so the walking method used by Bruntons locomotive post-dates both the Pen-y-darren loco and Catch-Me-Who-Can,  suggesting that patenting issues may have been the driving force behind its unusual propulsion. The 1780 patent on the use of the crank to produce rotary motion for stationary engines must have run out by the early 1800s, perhaps a newer "on a locomotive steam engine" patent* encouraged Brunton to look outside the box...

Finally, although described as a "steam horse", the video of it in action reminded me more of a bloke pushing a wheelbarrow!

* An approach common in the IT industry where patents are routinely issued for common processes with the addition of "On a computer"...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

That is stunning work, and I note that the next video is of the horse in motion on the completed diorama.

I showed the Daughter, who was very interested in your avatar, and she said "Cool. I want one".

Perhaps you should get your daughter interested in mechanical engineering so she can build one to run on Castle Aching......

• Like 2

B*gger

That's something at least.

I'll try and get Derwent's tenders done later. Trying to get myself back into it following the essential loss of most of the Derwent files, some of the T3 files and some of the G6 files. I have a lot of work to re-do and currently have lost the motivation to do much.

• RMweb Premium

Having once had aspirations to be an author something I learned very quickly was to take backups of all original self written material and take backups of the backups.  It only took me the total loss of two thirds of a manuscript to drive that lesson home.  I know it's not much use handing out advice once the horse has bolted, but in the future it might save you future heartbreak.

The trouble is, I had intended to back it all up after I finished work on No.25, so I unplugged it from the desktop I'd been working on, plugged it into the laptop and nothing happened. Went to plug it back into the desktop and still nothing happened. Hence why only a few G6 and T3 files are missing, but a fair few of Derwent's.