RMweb

Yes, it used to be rather easier to use! Plus of course there are the Slater's plastic kits (with etched and cast components) which just might be about to see the light of day once more in 4 mm scale.

So I gather.  I would love to have the GW Dean clerestories, the Toplights, the MR 6-wheel Claytons, the MR goods brake,  and the North Eastern hoppers and brake van.

All money Mr Coopercraft could have earned ....

Excuse my somewhat acerbic posts, but just at present everything is going wrong ....

Insane, I know, but this is what I would like to achieve.

I have about 16 of these vehicles in various states from un-started kits to reasonably advanced.

Castle Aching Coaching Stock programme:

WNR Achingham Branch Train:  4-Wheel 1870s Brake 3rd / 4-Wheel 1870s 3rd / 4-Wheel 1870s Comp. / 4-Wheel 1870s Brake 3rd

WNR Wolfringham Branch Train: 4-Wheel ex-GE 1860s Brake 3rd / 4-Wheel ex-Eastern Counties 1850s Comp. / 4-Wheel ex-GE 1860s Brake 3rd

WNR Train 1: 6-Wheel 1890s Brake 3rd / 6-Wheel 1890s 1st / 6-Wheel 1890s 2nd / 6-Wheel 1890s 3rd / 6-Wheel 1890s Brake 3rd

WNR Train 2: 6-Wheel 1880s Brake Comp. / 6-Wheel 1880s 3rd / 4-Wheel 1890s Comp. / 4-Wheel 1890s 3rd / 4-Wheel 1890s Brake 3rd

WNR Train 3: 4-Wheel 1890s Brake 3rd / 4-Wheel 1880s 3rd / 4-Wheel 1880s 3rd / 4-Wheel 1880s Comp. / 4-Wheel 1880s Full Brake

GER Train 1:  Type 5 (1886-1896) 6-Wheel Brake 3rd / Type 5 (1886-1896) 6-Compt. 6-Wheel 3rd / Type 5 (1886-1896) 4-Compt 6-Wheel Lugg. Comp. / Type 7A (1896-1903) 4-Compt. 6-Wheel Lav. Comp. / Type 7A (1896-1903) 5-Comp. 6-Wheel Lav. 3rd / Type 7A (1896-1903) 6-Wheel Brake 3rd

GER Train 2:  Type 5 (1886-1896) 6-Wheel Brake 3rd / Type 7A (1899) 5-Comp. 6-Wheel Clerestory Lav. 3rd / Type 7A (1897) Bogie Clerestory Comp. / Type 7A (1896-1903) 6-Wheel Full Brake

M&GN Train: Clayton 6-Wheel 3rd / Clayton 6-Wheel 3rd / GN 6-Wheel Comp. / New Stock 4-Wheel 3rd / Large Stock 4-Wheel Full Brake

GNR Train: GN 6-Wheel Full Brake / GN 6-Wheel Comp. / GN 6-Wheel 3rd / GN 6-Wheel 3rd / GN 6-Wheel Brake 3rd

MR Train: Clayton Bogie Clerestory Brake 3rd / Clayton Bogie Clerestory Comp. / Clayton Bogie Clerestory Brake 3rd / Clayton Bogie Clerestory Comp.

WNR Tram-Stock Train: 4=Wheel 3rd Tramcar / 4-Wheel Comp. Tramcar / 4-Wheel Full Brake

GER Tram-Stock Train: W&U 4-Wheel Tramcar / W&U Bogie Tramcar / W&U 4-Wheel Luggage Van

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 13

Is it my imagine, or poor memory, or does this list get longer by the month?

Anyway, it is a good list, in all senses.

No, actually it's got shorter.  For instance, only last month I believed I needed 28 6-wheelers, and now it's down to 24!

It's just that this is the first time I've posted a comprehensive list!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No, actually it's got shorter.  For instance, only last month I believed I needed 28 6-wheelers, and now it's down to 24!

It's just that this is the first time I've posted a comprehensive list!

I suspect the number of 4-wheelers has gone up. I should like, though, to draw attention to the fact that, tramcars aside, the only bogie vehicles are that magnificent set of square-light clerestories working through from Birmingham/Leicester - though I think further refinement is required to arrive at the most probable carriages.

I suspect the number of 4-wheelers has gone up. I should like, though, to draw attention to the fact that, tramcars aside, the only bogie vehicles are that magnificent set of square-light clerestories working through from Birmingham/Leicester - though I think further refinement is required to arrive at the most probable carriages.

Agree

I decided that my 4 Triang 4-wheelers were better off as mainline stock.  This is because they are a relatively modern style and because the lengths and compartment widths better suit mainline than branch line or suburban (of which there is none on the WN) stock.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Irony of ironies.

Today I found a man measuring up our front gate, with the gate stood wide open and 2 of our dogs barking at the rear gate wanting to be let back into the property.

You may remember that our landlord made unsubstantiated allegations concerning our dogs being on the loose, which allegations were demonstrably incorrect. This caused us not a little consternation.  It wasn't our dogs, but, apparently, somebody's dogs had been tearing up and down the main road endangering traffic, had disrupted a shoot, had caused damage and the local Constabulary to attend.  All nothing to do with us, but an assumption was made, based upon no evidence whatsoever, and we were threatened with losing our dogs or losing our home.  I felt, not without reason, that the Estate had handled this incident spectacularly poorly. All this after the gamekeeper had checked in with us to be told that we were aware of the whereabouts of our dogs at the material times and, in any case, that they did not meet the description of the offending pack (assuming our yellow Lab chose not to 'black-up' for a covert Op)

So, now the Estate has sent round a worker to measure up our gate, without giving us prior warning, and without said worker making his presence known.  Said worker must, therefore, have complacently watched three Labs trot past him out of the gate and away, without thinking to stop them or to tell anyone.

I was alerted to the situation by 2 of the 3 barking to be let back in.  The third had absconded, which put me to the necessity of a weary trudge to the next farm, where, true to form, he had wandered to see his 'friend'.  He is an old boy, and this is all he ever does.  This at least proved what I said about our dogs' habits when they escape the property; the two younger ones hang about waiting to come straight back, and the old boy wanders to the next farm and back.

Thus, rumours that one or more of them are the Beast of Bodmin Moor, Black Shuck, the Hound of the Baskervilles, the Beast of Barney, the Terror of Stainmore Forest etc, etc, are rather wide of the mark.

Wild? I was absolutely livid!

Edited by Edwardian

Irony of ironies.

Today I found a man measuring up our front gate, with the gate stood wide open and 2 of our dogs barking at the rear gate wanting to be let back into the property.

Wild? I was absolutely livid!

Perhaps you should have staked him out in a field of cows, coated him in molasses and left him to them......   :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Back briefly to Mr Brunton's walking engine, I have just discovered that the prototype blew up, killing a fair number of people in the process.

Apparently he was always inventing things which were a bt ahead of his time or the technology.

Jonathan

• Like 2

Well, troubles are crowding in thick and fast on the personal and financial front and I cannot beat off that black dog.  CA will have to be dismantled as the dining room is needed at the weekend, and I suppose it's full steam ahead on Tabitha's project in any case.

What with one thing and another, there might not be much by way of entertainment here in the next week or so ...!

Sorry 'bout that.

Back briefly to Mr Brunton's walking engine, I have just discovered that the prototype blew up, killing a fair number of people in the process.

Apparently he was always inventing things which were a bt ahead of his time or the technology.

Jonathan

Thats true, the explosion was due to the driver holding down the safety valve in an effort (egged on by the bystanders) to make it go faster.  Nothing to do with Brunton himself as if the safety valve he fitted had not been tampered with, the Steam Horse wouldn't have gone bang!

One fears the driver and spectators got their just desserts.....

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me of one of the accidents that Rolt recounted in his Red for Danger book. A porter (or some other railway grade) was annoyed by the noise made by a loco blowing off in the yard. To shut it off he climbed up and tightened up the nut on the safety valve. After a short while the boiler duly exploded, sending shrapnel all over the place. One bit passed through the air and removed the ear of the porter.....

Andy G

Think this Karma fella is on your side.

1. You're getting new gates at no cost to you, but to your landlord.

2. Dogs have been exercised.

3. Potential for old gates to become donor materials for future CA updates.

4. If not 3, then firewood for the next cold spell!

Think, Silver linings and clouds.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, troubles are crowding in thick and fast on the personal and financial front and I cannot beat off that black dog.  CA will have to be dismantled as the dining room is needed at the weekend, and I suppose it's full steam ahead on Tabitha's project in any case.

What with one thing and another, there might not be much by way of entertainment here in the next week or so ...!

Sorry 'bout that.

Tabitha? Surely she can just twitch her nose and the project will finish itself.

The CA Project has had periods of sunlit hope. a few setbacks, moments of doubt, crises of confidence, fear even, but the vision has always been present, and the direction of travel has always been towards that, and it will, unquestionably, continue to be so.

A plywood metaphor for life, really.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Time for a pre raphaelite, methinks, never mind the dogs, some bast*rds let the sheep out:post-26540-0-40776200-1520978928.jpeg

Plywood metaphor?? mmm, must get me brane round that one...

Edit: after a lot of worrying, I think I should model the LNWR, and make a Plastikard Problem, a Brass Precedent, and a Plywood Metaphor? Maybe I’d best go to bed.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

That reminds me of one of the accidents that Rolt recounted in his Red for Danger book. A porter (or some other railway grade) was annoyed by the noise made by a loco blowing off in the yard. To shut it off he climbed up and tightened up the nut on the safety valve. After a short while the boiler duly exploded, sending shrapnel all over the place. One bit passed through the air and removed the ear of the porter.....

Andy G

There's another (non-railway) anecdote about safety valves again told, I think, by Rolt about a old countryman extracting tree stumps using a ploughing engine.  To get more oomph for extracting tougher roots, this chap would screw down the safety valve and wait until he had enough steam pressure to do the job...   Our author recounted that he viewed the proceedings from a safe distance!  Explosions were not mentioned

• Like 4

Time for a pre raphaelite, methinks, never mind the dogs, some bast*rds let the sheep out:attachicon.gif20130848-BF9F-4813-905B-B64774D41383.jpeg

Plywood metaphor?? mmm, must get me brane round that one...

Edit: after a lot of worrying, I think I should model the LNWR, and make a Plastikard Problem, a Brass Precedent, and a Plywood Metaphor? Maybe I’d best go to bed.

It might be a good idea to include a cardboard Experiment, or you might end up with a whitemetal Bloomer....

• Like 2