Not quite the right date, but still, we’re on holiday today, and Hilda helps me with tracklaying on my Englefield Line:attachicon.gif9C739076-7C93-41AC-B6E8-5D7FC5B8A0CF.jpeg

Thats one of those pictures where an article of apparel get caught in the chain?

Edwardian:  One of the ladies in your post appears to be riding a gents bike sidesaddle!   How scandalous!!! :O

Compound2632:  The French seem to have had a completely laissez-faire attitude towards appropriate cycling garb.....

Edited by Hroth

A Grand Day Out!

These days, if I make just one show a year, it's York.  This year, Tabitha asked to join me(!), and she proved delightful company.

Well, yesterday was a long day, and I am recovering by doing very little today! Up with the sparrows to make the advance ticket holders queue (first time I've done that) at York Racecourse. There was much good stuff, and several highlights for me.  The pre-Grouping period was represented this year by London Road, and I forced my acquaintance upon Jol Wilkinson of this parish, and then I got snap-happy!

We were very happy to meet up with IanLMS of this parish, he of the excellent Jencaster, whilst we paused for elevenses.   I made a few strategic purposes.  Having cracked open the piggy bank, generally I spread may largesse fairly evenly, though, in the case of one leading wheel-manufacturer, I like to think that I brought a comfortable retirement that much closer for the business owner. 

As ever, the traders were most helpful, and the exhibitors very friendly.

I would like to thank the organisers at the York show, not only for a splendid show, but also for helping Tabitha and I out in a couple of important respects.

Mid-afternoon we hit the NRM, so I was able to fulfil some of the photo requests I have recently received, though the lighting in the main hall is poor-to-abysmal, which made it very difficult for me to obtain shots in focus, and that in the Station Hall is positively stygian. 

A highlight for Tabitha was to see a train of 'ancestral carriages' (on her mother's side), being the composite, second and third of the Bodmin & Wadebridge.

For me, though, an important opportunity was to photograph (and measure - yes, I took a tape-measure; Be Prepared! and all that), the 1851-vintage Eastern Counties First Class coach, which I have long intended to run as part of the Wolfringham branch set, sandwiched between two ex-GE Brake Thirds dating from 1867.  If there is one part of the West Norfolk that does resemble a down-at-heel light railway, it's the 'withered arm' to Wolfringham!  Passengers are catered for accordingly!

I fancy one can still discern the initials "ECR" on the coach waist panels.

post-25673-0-47408300-1522589123_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-50646300-1522589184_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-13255700-1522589247_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-31520000-1522589319_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-28953200-1522589453_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-62104000-1522589525_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-90385200-1522589610_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-18784200-1522589664_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-01932800-1522589753_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-96575500-1522589870_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Thats one of those pictures where an article of apparel get caught in the chain?.

Here’s a quote from Hamilton Ellis, (intro. to the “The Trains We Loved”)

post-26540-0-29872300-1522593848_thumb.jpeg

As with the LSWR, so with Hilda, she really enjoys the summer, and dresses accordingly, although she does wear more suitable clothes for winter:

post-26540-0-80532300-1522593743.jpeg

Anyhow, good to hear hear the York trip was enjoyed by you both!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have no doubt that the Midland's continued use of 45ft rail compared to the LNWR's 60ft was to make their expresses sound faster!

erwBbdb.png  erwBbdb.png

Very much liking the Edwardian bicycle pictures.  Especially for women the introduction of the safety bicycle made huge changes in society.  For the first time women were able to own an affordable mode of transport that didn't involve having to keep and stable a horse.  During my social work studies I came across several very well written sociological studies on the impact of the invention of the safety bicycle on women's lives.  So yes bicycling and bicycling clubs would be very much part of the Edwardian scene.

a699425a30286ef8c007dd3f22f6a45b.jpg

Edited by Annie
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'm actually quite surprised. My money was on Mr Northroader giving us a French bicycle advert*.

Not really sure of the advisability of this, whatever the epoch.

*The different viewpoint may assist sem's researches?

I love old bicycle advertising from the Edwardian era.  And yes the French ones could be a bit risqué, but they are stunning pieces of artwork often with a wonderful dramatic flair.  We have to remember the safety bicycle very much caused a transport revolution in the society of the time.  They were a leading edge technology and there was fierce competition between the various bicycle manufacturers of the time to get Joe and Joanne Public to buy THEIR bicycle and no other.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

James I'm very pleased to see that you are of the elect who actually know how to photograph a railway carriage so that it is a useful document for further research.  The internet is full of glossy coloured pictures of Edwardian carriages that are of no use at all to anyone except for recording livery details in a very vague and haphazard kind of way.

post-25673-0-01932800-1522589753_thumb.j

• Like 1

James I'm very pleased to see that you are of the elect who actually know how to photograph a railway carriage so that it is a useful document for further research.  The internet is full of glossy coloured pictures of Edwardian carriages that are of no use at all to anyone except for recording livery details in a very vague and haphazard kind of way.

post-25673-0-01932800-1522589753_thumb.j

Such patience, waiting for the flourescent-garbed gawpers to move out of shot.  There's usually half a dozen or so.....

All thats missing is the stick of known length!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cycling with a baby - no problem. In Kosova you can see waiters cycling with trays of coffee held aloft. And men cycling while carrying scythes over their shoulders.

I have seen a video of a moving bicycle on a layout, and i seem to remember that it had VERY fine spokes. Not easy when you realise that a spoke scaled down to 4 mm/ft will be considerably less than 5 thou diameter.

I assume that that carriage has been repainted on only one side intentionally, to show what remains of the livery, rather than because they ran out of money.

Don't complain about the lighting. It could be much worse. I once visited Belfast to write an article about the new Transport Museum building at Cultra. It was lit with high pressure sodium lamps, very efficient but giving everything a yellow cast. Mind you, I was treated like royalty as at that time, for obvious reasons, they hardly ever had visitors from the UK. And it is a very good collection.

Jonathan

• Like 5

Sem

Drawings of bicycles, being a poster hanging above my layout.

Kevin

Ah-Ha!

Les bicyclettes de Belsize....

(Just watched the third and fourth episodes of "Below the Surface", an episode of "Vera" and a Timewatch about WW1 flyers Mannock and McCudden. its all a bit too much...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) it Says of the castle "Does not ship to the United Kingdom".

A bit worried about the waterskier in the video when the houseboat pushed past, but those cycle wheels are impressive. (Go to "examples" on the website and watch the Echo Lakes video, once you can get past the exhibition ads).

Jonathan

• Like 2

Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) it Says of the castle "Does not ship to the United Kingdom".

Always annoying when you find something you want and it doesn't ship to your country. If it doesn't why is it still listed in the UK's eBay site?

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

A similar one giving a uk supplier....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Assembly-Puzzle-StillCool-3D-Jigsaw-Crystal-Castle-Puzzle-3D-Musical-Puzzle/183144534603?hash=item2aa443d24b:g:2XgAAOSwG4FathI5

Search for 3D Crystal Castle and select the Buy it now and UK only buttons, though this does not filter out all the Chinese suppliers. The link above is the cheapest that doesn't have a Shenzhen seller, despite the item location being listed as UK...

• Like 2

Hmm. Interesting. I have a bad back and knees (I know, I know, I'm only 24 so what did I do? For your information it's a hereditary condition) so might be worth investing in a bicycle myself...

Apologies for this tardy post, Castle Aching gallops along with so many contributions it is hard to keep up.

My humble thoughts came to mind very late.

Modern Bicycles are really designed for the young, but writing as a septuagenarian with one I have experienced the following.

If you have one of these (I do) :-

post-18891-0-91960200-1522684058.jpg

You really need a pair of these:-

post-18891-0-71785100-1522684134.jpg

And possibly one of these (to start with):-

post-18891-0-65574000-1522684179.jpg

Although Edwardian machinery is elegant, it is painful on any slope, hard uphill and with scary brakes downhill. A GOOD modern cycle is a joy to use with clever gears, good brakes and light as a feather. Remember there is a difference between a GOOD bicycle and a cheap Bicycle shaped, heap of iron.

Unfortunately:-

"Cycling has encountered more enemies than any other form of exercise."

Louis Baudry de Saunier, French Journaliste

Apologies for this tardy post, Castle Aching gallops along with so many contributions it is hard to keep up.

My humble thoughts came to mind very late.

Modern Bicycles are really designed for the young, but writing as a septuagenarian with one I have experienced the following.

If you have one of these (I do) :-

attachicon.gifSaddle.jpg

You really need a pair of these:-

attachicon.gifBike shorts.jpg

And possibly one of these (to start with):-

attachicon.gifPadded seats.jpg

Although Edwardian machinery is elegant, it is painful on any slope, hard uphill and with scary brakes downhill. A GOOD modern cycle is a joy to use with clever gears, good brakes and light as a feather. Remember there is a difference between a GOOD bicycle and a cheap Bicycle shaped, heap of iron.

Unfortunately:-

"Cycling has encountered more enemies than any other form of exercise."

Louis Baudry de Saunier, French Journaliste

Duly noted. Thank you.