I feel a swift rendition of 'In a Monastery Garden' coming on, which, given my complete lack of musical talent, is not going to please the neighbours.

Put the Ketèlbey on and we can all have a cuppa!

• Like 1

But at least Dean had the decency also to create Mrs Kruger, the 2-6-0 version, and together they begat the Aberdares - which to my mind are a good cross between the Dean and Churchward eras.

Jonathan

And this is now starting to sound oddly like the family tree from a period drama...

But at least Dean had the decency also to create Mrs Kruger, the 2-6-0 version, and together they begat the Aberdares....

Being a Iot older than him now, I think I can understand how Dean must have felt (and admire him greatly for) realising things had to change and that the young guys might between them come up with the answers. From what I have read, he was alive to all the potentials.

Compare him to that dour old autocrat Dugald Drummond and those gross 4-6-0s.

Looked at from the ashpit of the WNR locoshed in 1903 this might have seemed as distant as wrestling with fractals and quantum mechanics are to most of us

dh

Its the unfortunate offspring of Billy Dean and, ummm, Swindon Works.....

attachicon.gifBilly Kruger.jpg

I bet the footlpate footplate crew are saying "Do we really have to drive this? "

Eh? "footlpate"?

Where the 'eck did that come from?

Being a Iot older than him now, I think I can understand how Dean must have felt (and admire him greatly for) realising things had to change and that the young guys might between them come up with the answers. From what I have read, he was alive to all the potentials.

Looked at from the ashpit of the WNR locoshed in 1903 this might have seemed as distant as wrestling with fractals and quantum mechanics are to most of us

dh

It may be small minded of me, but I take comfort that, in the matter of ugly Edwardian locomotives, as with so many things, however bad things seem, they are usually far worse across the herring pond ....

post-25673-0-85808500-1525781597.jpg

dh

Those 4-6-0s were certainly a blot on the (LSWR) landscape!

btw, better check that box over there, see if the cats still inside....

• Like 2

It may be small minded of me, but I take comfort that, in the matter of ugly Edwardian locomotives, as with so many things, however bad things seem, they are usually far worse across the herring pond ....

Methinks the Colonials had seen Derwent and thought, we could make a bigger and "better" one....

And thus another round of "unintended consequences"  :jester:

It may be small minded of me, but I take comfort that, in the matter of ugly (Edwardian) locomotives, as with so many things, however bad things seem, they are usually far worse across the herring pond ....

post-33750-0-06339500-1525783712.jpg

I

post-33750-0-28948000-1525783636.jpg

COULDN'T

post-33750-0-33240500-1525783643.jpg

AGREE

post-33750-0-24607000-1525783652.jpg

WITH

post-33750-0-56392700-1525783669.jpg

YOU

post-33750-0-85374500-1525783661.jpg

MORE.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

I get confused about which railway the 'Erie' was, but one of them got sensible and electrified part of its route, which was a sensible way not to need ugly steam locos. They used 25Hz 11kV single-phase, supplied from 60kV 3-phase transmission, so similar to the LBSCR and the little bits of the Midland in this country.

Wouldn't West Norfolk look so much more attractive and up-to-date with some wire?

post-26817-0-23655900-1525784480_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Funny how Drummond and Robinson both seem to have struggled to make a truly fit-for-purpose 4-6-0s and ultimately had to return to the 4-4-0 format, where their designs were hugely successful.

For Edwardian 4-6-0s, really Churchward was unsurpassed. 

What is it about the British locomotive aesthetic?

Normally I dislike the smack of patriotic prejudice that my aesthetic preferences imply, but I cannot help but prefer the appearance of our native machines over that typical of many nations.  I feel we were uniquely blessed in this, if nothing else!

The Americans had quirky looking locos up to the 1880s, when they resolved only to build ugly ones. Continental Europeans were unable to resist festooning often otherwise attractive lines with terrific amounts of gubbins, as if to say "aren't I clever, I've found somewhere to put another pipe?".

I realise that we had ugly locos, and ugly additions and modifications made to some, but we seem to have had far less than our fair share of them. 

The elegant lines and the clean outlines of British-designed locomotives do set them apart from practice elsewhere. 

Is the native design tradition especially beautiful, or am I merely conditioned to think so?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But Peter Drummond did design a very successful 4-6-0, namely the HR Castle class. The most powerful loco class again at their introduction, free running and well liked by their crews....

Andy G

But Peter Drummond did design a very successful 4-6-0, namely the HR Castle class. The most powerful loco class again at their introduction, free running and well liked by their crews....

Andy G

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

The Americans had quirky looking locos up to the 1880s, when they resolved only to build ugly ones. Continental Europeans were unable to resist festooning often otherwise attractive lines with terrific amounts of gubbins, as if to say "aren't I clever, I've found somewhere to put another pipe?".

I've always wondered why I absolutely hate the appearance of most German steam locomotives unlike the majority of the fellow Finnish railway enthusiasts and now realized Edwardian said there why. Although we were influenced by German designs luckily our own designers appreciated more the clean appearance.

• Like 1