RMweb

the body has had a black/thinner wash, which didn’t really pick up as much detail as I hoped, but it did “let down” the whiteness of the lettering.

Same in the case of P Softley. 

the lower half of the wagon has a brown chalk dust brushed over, which has done much better. Having a dusty surface reflects light in a way a painted surface doesn’t, and gives it a more natural look. I also gave the brake blocks a dab with the end of a redbrown chalk stick, and brushed it in.

Very effective

Trust me, you're not a bad Catholic compared to me. I'm meant to be Irish Catholic. Instead I'm open atheist bordering on anti-all-religions heretic.

Again, I'm of Irish descent. If Ireland then was anything like Ireland now Lord knows what Edwardian England thought of them!

Ireland now is very different to any pre-existing Irelands – as Varadkar's recent speech to the Pope shows.

There was, back during the last Troubles, a joke about a man stopped at a checkpoint by a couple of balaclava'd boyos toting Armalites, who asked him if the he was a Protestant or a Catholic. "Neither" he replied "I'm an Atheist". "Ah, but are you a Protestant Atheist or a Catholic Atheist?"

I suppose I have to confess to being a Protestant Atheist.

• Like 1

James I was interested in your link  http://www.lnwrs.org...agons/intro.php  above to LNWR waggons and about Earlestown. 

Do any of you erudite parishioners know of the1976  reprint of the sixth edition of George Findlay's "The Working and Management of an English Railway" published in 1899?  Sir George was General Manager of the LNW. and it was intended as a textbook for those aspiring to be railway managers preparing for examinations , .

Chapter IX is about Goods Waggons (note the correct spelling) .

62,000 waggons were owned by the LNW in 1899 of which 5000 were covered waggons. All were built at Earlestown which at busy times employed 1,600 men (no women?), turning out a waggon every half hour with well seasoned English oak frames and bodies of  oak,teak or red pine . 

Like Wolverton ET had a commodius dining room capable of seating 400 persons where the men and boys can have their food cooked free of charge; There is also a lending library with over 5oo books in the Mechanics Institute available for free to all workmen and their families.

I recommend the book as a cracking good hard read

In the 1950s I used to pass by the, by now, very decrepit looking Earlestown waggonworks hard by the triangular junction on the way home as a student from Liverpool when lucky enough to catch one of the newly introduced Swindon Trans Penine units - where a 'red bricker' like me could pretend to be one of you Cambridge railway enthusiast chaps aliving it up on the Cambridge Buffet Car Express :sungum: .

dht

Edited by runs as required

May I suggest using pastel chalk as a finishing touch? Down the art shop, and get sticks of umber brown, sienna red brown, light brown, and black. Back home, rub a stick on emery or sand paper, to get some powder. Spill some of this on the area you want to do, and then brush in with a dry brush. The light brown goes well all over the parts below floor level, and on the ends, and the red brown on rustybits such as brake blocks. Some black unevenly on van roofs, and cross brush with the curve, rather than along the length. I don’t try to ‘fix’ it with any spray or such. If you don’t like it, it will wash off with water. For a really cruddy look, mix some powder into a paste with water, and brush on. Then leave to dry out, when it will look highly *****, so you just brush over with a dry brush, and the base scheme will reappear from under the muck, only looking really careworn. Again, it will wash off if you don’t like it.

Ground pastel is essentially what the commercially available 'weathering powders' are – but it's a lot cheaper to grind your own!

• RMweb Premium

Do any of you erudite parishioners know of the1976  reprint of the sixth edition of George Findlay's "The Working and Management of an English Railway" published in 1899?  Sir George was General Manager of the LNW. and it was intended as a textbook for those aspiring to be railway managers preparing for examinations ,

The second edition is available online.

• Like 1

So many Supremely Ugly Locomotives were pre-grouping! :jester:

Holdens Decapod and the GWR Kruger class being cases in point.....

So two, then? And I'm not sure I can allow you the Decapod.

I note the reference to Chitty, author of what is still a standard text, Chitty on Contracts.

Interestingly, if you go to the brief early-mid Victorian case reports from which Chitty says the basic principles of contract law derive, you often look in vain for an encapsulation of such principles in the learned judgments; Chitty seems to have decided the necessary contractual principles based upon what he thought the judge ought to have said!

So two, then? And I'm not sure I can allow you the Decapod.

Nor the Krugers!

I have admonished before those who refuse to acknowledge their significence in the gestation of Churchward's locomotives.

dh

Edit

Where's the keyhole?

Is that Holden while still at Swindon?

Edited by runs as required

its just a GWR GER knockoff copy cab!

And for ugly:

post-21933-0-67863500-1535451506.jpg

it knocks Bulleids Q1 into a cocked hat, and is a better candidate for "Where's the keyhole?" to boot!

(I think Stanier showed it to Bulleid and gave him the idea...)

Significant or not, the Decapod and Krugers were ugly beasts.

• RMweb Premium

Earlestown works canteen in Edwardian days brings on a story about another works canteen in those days, where my father happened to be a rivet heating boy working towards becoming a plater. Whilst you could get prepared lunches, a lot brought their own food in, including bread and dripping. This was a slice of bread which had been dipped at home in a bowl of heated beef dripping. The melted grease soaked into the bread, then cooled down into a nourishing meal. However, in the canteen, some horseplay resulted in one lads beef and dripping being used as a football, and one good kick left it stuck to the (high) ceiling! The canteen manageress (one woman there) went spare, it seems.

Be guided by the contemporary aesthetic!

There was a reason they were called the Krugers, because they were ugly and reminded people of a, then topical, ugly man!

Ah this is a very contentious issue - the re-evaluation of history. Are we not to admire Caravaggio's genius because he kept knifing people contemporary London style?

Holden's Decapod must have condemned thousands in east and north east London to early deaths by pollution by the Jazz service.

Nevertheless the Editor's decision must be final

post-21705-0-00681100-1535454184.jpg

dh

On the question of women at Earlstown: they might not have been mentioned due to contemporary cultural bias but there is a photograph (can't currently locate it) which shows that the stores was almost exclusively female (maybe it was observed that they could find where things had been left), and on the railway itself many station clerks were female as the teams tended to have a core staff consisting of all the members of a single family.

On the question of women at Earlstown: they might not have been mentioned due to contemporary cultural bias but there is a photograph (can't currently locate it) which shows that the stores was almost exclusively female (maybe it was observed that they could find where things had been left), and on the railway itself many station clerks were female as the teams tended to have a core staff consisting of all the members of a single family.

I suspect that depends on just when you talking about. A lot of women were drafted in during the war years – and many were unceremoniously dumped as soon as the men came back. Even in the stores department.

I know I risk veering OT into some weird future realm with this but whilst everyone says Q1's are ugly, I think they have a certain charm about them. I may only be saying it because of how long I spent working on this though...

post-33105-0-00048700-1535455256_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Their significance does not detract from their ugliness.

Seconded.

I know I risk veering OT into some weird future realm with this but whilst everyone says Q1's are ugly, I think they have a certain charm about them. I may only be saying it because of how long I spent working on this though...

20170412_142700.jpg

And I actually agree there. They're more built for practicality than for grace, and they did their job admirably without being absolutely hideous.

For absolutely hideous, look at early American Cramptons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20170412_142700.jpg

A Hobbsian locomotive: nasty, brutish, and short.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif20170412_142700.jpg

Never mind the keyhole, where's the running plate?   :scratchhead:

Jim

For absolutely hideous, look at early American Cramptons.

If we're venturing beyond these scept'red shores, then the prolapsed pipework and external gubbins on most Continental locomotives is pretty dire....

As for the Q1, I DO have a guilty liking for it.  :O

In fact, if it had been fitted with vestigial running plates in the manner of a 9F, it might have looked a little less odd. In fact it would look almost conventional!

Edited by Hroth