I am often caught out by the unexpected censorship of RMWeb's Automatic Prude.

It must be difficult for the residents of Chortlon expletive Hardy to maintain a presence on the web. 

When I was a lad, people used to laugh at the pruderies of Victorian society.  Now I am older, I laugh at our own hang-ups instead.

• RMweb Premium

It must be difficult for the residents of Chortlon expletive Hardy to maintain a presence on the web. 

When I was a lad, people used to laugh at the pruderies of Victorian society.  Now I am older, I laugh at our own hang-ups instead.

Midland station too, on the Manchester South District line. Just right for the Ratio Bain suburban carriages (but not the four-compartment brake). Tempting to start a layout topic... 

Midland station too, on the Manchester South District line. Just right for the Ratio Bain suburban carriages (but not the four-compartment brake). Tempting to start a layout topic... 

Good idea. If you can actually name it! 

How DO they manage in S****horpe?

Off at a tangent time: what is the evidence when it comes to Victorian prudery?

I’ve begun to suspect that it wasn’t anything like as prevalent as is often assumed, that some of the more extreme examples cited (covered table-legs etc) are a load of old nonsense, and that a more meaningful way of looking at things might be to think of religiously-inspired dress and conduct codes ......... we don’t think of them as prudish, and we are able to ‘see through’ them to the gender-inequity and rampant exploitation that too-often lays behind.

And on that note, as a Bank Holiday Treat, let me offer a Pre-Raff.  It may have been posted earlier, but 474 pages are a bit difficult to wade through...

post-21933-0-07947500-1535351530.jpg

Not particularly prudish, is she....

(I was going to offer a striking portrait of Clytemnestra, pictured just after she'd topped Agamemnon, but I decided that bloodstained clothing and a dripping labrys was probably unsuited for Bank Holiday edification...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 10

Of course, Odysseus (the chap in the mirror) didn't take the offered cup, unlike some of his sailors, one of whom is pictured as a boar in the "faithful hound" pose to Circes left...

Edited by Hroth

How DO they manage in S****horpe?

Probably as well as they do in Penistone!

I recall some months ago there was a report on the radio about the divided residents of Bell End, wherever that is (!), some of whom (generally identified as incomers) wanted the name changed in order to increase their property values, and others (cussing natives of that heath) thought that maintaining local tradition (of being sniggered at, presumably?) was more important.

Off at a tangent time: what is the evidence when it comes to Victorian prudery?

I’ve begun to suspect that it wasn’t anything like as prevalent as is often assumed, that some of the more extreme examples cited (covered table-legs etc) are a load of old nonsense, and that a more meaningful way of looking at things might be to think of religiously-inspired dress and conduct codes ......... we don’t think of them as prudish, and we are able to ‘see through’ them to the gender-inequity and rampant exploitation that too-often lays behind.

Yes, perhaps I should have spoken of our perception of Victorian prudery.

The real scourge of the Nineteenth Century, and you can just see how it wound up writers like Dickens and Wilkie Collins, was the hypocritical use of religion to justify or perpetrate self-serving acts of cruelty.

One of the reasons I love the Patrick O'Brian books is that Aubrey is very much an unreconstructed, boozing and philandering and innocently forthright Eighteenth Century squire from the pages of Fielding who runs smack into the prudishly respectable, mannered, prissiness and hypocrisy of the overtly religious new middle class that we see emerging in Austen.   

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

Bell End - in Rowley Regis, the middle of the triangle bounded by Dudley, Smethwick and Halesowen, just to the west of Berbegum.....

I must admit, it could be a difficult address to admit to living at, and a certain schoolboy turn of mind would find it excessively amusing!

• Like 2

I must admit, it could be a difficult address to admit to living at,.........

But not as difficult as No Place, near Beamish.  Try telling that to the cop who has just stopped you for speeding!  ( not that I have, I hasten to add)

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good idea. If you can actually name it! 

Quite...

And on that note, as a Bank Holiday Treat, let me offer a Pre-Raff.  It may have been posted earlier, but 474 pages are a bit difficult to wade through...

attachicon.gifCirce-offering-the-cup-to-Odysseus-1891-s.jpg

Not particularly prudish, is she....

(I was going to offer a striking portrait of Clytemnestra, pictured just after she'd topped Agamemnon, but I decided that bloodstained clothing and a dripping labrys was probably unsuited for Bank Holiday edification...)

Double standards. We have been round here before, though not with this particular painting.

I recall some months ago there was a report on the radio about the divided residents of Bell End, wherever that is (!), some of whom (generally identified as incomers) wanted the name changed in order to increase their property values, and others (cussing natives of that heath) thought that maintaining local tradition (of being sniggered at, presumably?) was more important.

The real scourge of the Nineteenth Century, and you can just see how it wound up writers like Dickens and Wilkie Collins, was the hypocritical use of religion to justify or perpetrate self-serving acts of cruelty.

One of the reasons I love the Patrick O'Brian books is that Aubrey is very much an unreconstructed, boozing and philandering and innocently forthright Eighteenth Century squire from the pages of Fielding who runs smack into the prudishly respectable, mannered, prissiness and hypocrisy of the overtly religious new middle class that we see emerging in Austen.   

To be fair to St Jane, she has such people firmly in her sights. Genuine unassuming quiet piety (of the sort that produced John Keble) on the other hand... though Mansfield Park is, it must be admitted, her least instantly appealing novel.

Bell End - in Rowley Regis, the middle of the triangle bounded by Dudley, Smethwick and Halesowen, just to the west of Berbegum.....

What was that about attempting to raise property values?

• Like 2

The real scourge of the Nineteenth Century, and you can just see how it wound up writers like Dickens and Wilkie Collins, was the hypocritical use of religion to justify or perpetrate self-serving acts of cruelty.

But isn't that the way it's always worked anyway, then and now? "Everyone who thinks the exact same as I do is right and everyone who doesn't is a liar and a heretic?" We're most of the time only a few steps short of a new Inquisition when you really think about it.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But isn't that the way it's always worked anyway, then and now? "Everyone who thinks the exact same as I do is right and everyone who doesn't is a liar and a heretic?" We're most of the time only a few steps short of a new Inquisition when you really think about it.

Grown-up people know that compromise is fundamental to the common good*. There were plenty of grown-ups in the 19th century, many of them in government. Unfortunately towards the end of that century, as now, they were being shouted down by the immature.

*That's why I model in 00. (Accepting compromise that is. I'm not so vain as to suppose my modelling is for the common good!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am not sure the misuse of religion in that way has been restricted to the nineteenth century. 

I am sure one of the causes of the fluctuation in morality is due to the desire of children to be different from their parents when they reach maturity. You will probably find you are behaving just like your great grandparents as the circle turns.

Living in a place with a rude sounding name ( or keeping a similar surname) becomes a badge of honour marks one out from the common herd. Lets keep all these.

Don

• Like 3

“We're most of the time only a few steps short of a new Inquisition when you really think about it. ”

The tendency to intolerance has, in my estimation, greatly accentuated in the past 3 to 5 years, though. Before then I genuinely believed that we were on the way up the bank, with possibly only our back legs and tail still in the swamp, and dragging very slowly forward. Lately it has felt as if we slipped backwards, and are struggling to keep our noses above the slimey ooze.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Good to see you got hold of some buffers. An interesting couple of Midland vans in the background, that we've not, I think, seen before.

Thanks.

I took the buffers from another kit, so will need to replace these.  Did you say they are also found in the PW set, and that the bolsters may be converted to dumb buffers, thus freeing 2 sets?

The Midland vans were excavated from the stash.  They are second hand, so I have yet to assess them.

“We're most of the time only a few steps short of a new Inquisition when you really think about it. ”

The tendency to intolerance has, in my estimation, greatly accentuated in the past 3 to 5 years, though. Before then I genuinely believed that we were on the way up the bank, with possibly only our back legs and tail still in the swamp, and dragging very slowly forward. Lately it has felt as if we slipped backwards, and are struggling to keep our noses above the slimey ooze.

It seems to me that much of the progress in social reform, tolerance and equality that my generation inherited and took for granted is under threat and in reverse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

I took the buffers from another kit, so will need to replace these.  Did you say they are also found in the PW set, and that the bolsters may be converted to dumb buffers, thus freeing 2 sets?

The Midland vans were excavated from the stash.  They are second hand, so I have yet to assess them.

It seems to me that much of the progress in social reform, tolerance and equality that my generation inherited and took for granted is under threat and in reverse.

For dumb-buffered D12 timber trucks, see here (and later posts - still ongoing; I have yet to complete my D13 pair). The Ratio p/w set has enough buffers for three wagons, as the rail wagons (whose diagram I forget off hand - LNWR Wagons Vol. 3 will shortly reveal all) have a fixed coupling making a pair like the D13 timber trucks. So if you only really get one spare set of buffers per p/w kit.

I'm in the middle of building a complete set of all the varieties of Midland 16'6" van easily doable from the two Slaters kits - see here and here.

The Thatcherite attack on experts and the professions has led us to a point were evidence counts for little.

• Like 1

We're most of the time only a few steps short of a new Inquisition when you really think about it.

"Just when you least expect etc....."

You already have an Indexer and "I've got a little list"

Mwah! Ha! Ha!

dh

Edit

For dumb-buffered D12 timber trucks, see here (and later...)

Thanks. I think I already have that in my "little list"

If parishioners want to propose posts they consider to be of subsequent significence a PM would be most welcome - it seems the way the original 1515 Index was composed (see link above)

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2