Hold on...how many fingers does that policeman have?  Where's his thumb?  You don't point to the statute book with your thumb!

Incidentally, if we're going to be 3D scanning/ printing parishioners to populate CA.... yes I'd be up for that.... 

Edited by James Harrison
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would be up to it but only have pseudo Victorian dress available - though I am withing striking distance of Alan Buttler. We may need some guidance on suitable garb to ensure that yo end up with a balanced population rather than a town full of lord Erstwhiles.

Jonathan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very annoying to find that the buffer heads were missing, else I could probably have finished the LNWR opens over the weekend.

Anyhow, paint has been applied.  I feel sure that it will be said that these are too light.  Perhaps so, though the picture is taken with a flash, which has lightened the grey a little. Moreover, I do think LNW grey should be somewhat lighter than GW, and it must have been at least light enough to permit of the contrasting dark grey applied to the framing of outside frames of covered wagons and brake vans.  Perhaps another black wash and then transfers. 

Apologies for harking back to the ancient history of last weekend. I'm sure that the grey I've been using for my LNWR wagons (Precision NBR freight stock grey - don't ask) is too dark for a wagon fresh out of the works. Such should be darker than brand new Midland grey (for which I use Precision LMS freight stock grey as it is "by definition" the same colour...) but still a mid-grey. However, I think photos of outside-framed covered goods wagons and brake vans in the two-tone livery show the lighter grey to be significantly lighter than the run of LNWR wagons while the darker grey used for the framing could be darker than standard or possibly the same as.

• RMweb Premium

The fix looks righteous. Definitely the right way to go if you want to reuse the greater part of the underframe.

Presumably, Hornby have confused double-V-hanger brakes on a wooden solebar with single V-hangers each side for Moron brakes and made a a chimera. They seem to have looked at real wagons, which is quite good for an RTR manufacturer. Such as pity that they didn't understand what they were looking at.

I would rather like one or two of the Clee-Hill wagons. We have a family connection with Clee, it's a favoured place for outings. I wonder if Hornby still make them?

Sorry, still catching up on the wagonry. looking at James' fix, I'm wondering why I didn't do that rather than gouging out all the innards, W-irons, etc. (a very messy business) to replace with brass and whitemetal, which was, I concluded, more trouble than it was really worth.

I supposed the strange V-iron on the Hornby underframe was just to make the mould simple.

I have a couple of the Hornby Clee Hill Granite wagons. Compared with the photos in the Keith Montague Gloucester book, two things stand out: the Hornby wagon has side doors, which the Gloucester-built ones didn't - tricky to remove without destroying the nicely printed livery; and the Hornby wagon has a representation of a wooden underframe, though painted black like the steel underframe of the Gloucester wagons. This means the Hornby curb rail is too deep - on a steel-framed wagon, it's only as deep as the floor planks - 2 1/2". It would be easy to file this down. A replacement steel 9' wheelbase underframe is a bit tricky, as the ones available e.g. Cambrian are for 1923 RCH wagons so tend to look too modern. I did do one for my Huntley & Palmers wagon, using the Cambrian solebar combined with their Gloucester W-iron/axlebox unit - the way their kits are designed, with this part separate from the solebar, make this possible. A third thing, not standing out quite so much, is that on a steel-framed wagon, the end pillars should be T-section steel rather than 4 1/2" square timber.  

Very annoying to find that the buffer heads were missing, else I could probably have finished the LNWR opens over the weekend.

Anyhow, paint has been applied.  I feel sure that it will be said that these are too light.  Perhaps so, though the picture is taken with a flash, which has lightened the grey a little. Moreover, I do think LNW grey should be somewhat lighter than GW, and it must have been at least light enough to permit of the contrasting dark grey applied to the framing of outside frames of covered wagons and brake vans.  Perhaps another black wash and then transfers. 

I always find that the varnish darkens the overall tone somewhat, so starting with a lighter shade may help. 

FWIW, I would be glad to see the citizens CA in London, at Strand. Perhaps we should consider an excursion?

Seriously, it might help the cost of the scans and prints if multiple copies are being bought.

We had a club session with Alan (Modelu) last weekend.

He offered us a club rate as there were quite a few of us,

but only on the scanning process, the cost of the figures

stayed the same.*

As it happened, due to the numbers we got together, he

brought the price down even more, normally it's £30 at a 

show, he offered it at £25, but it ended up less than £20

per scan.

He was scanning from 10am until 3pm, and he'd driven

down to Stevenage for us, but we did supply food and

drink all day! 

*No-one asked now much for 100 of themselves!  :mosking:

• Like 2

Hold on...how many fingers does that policeman have?  Where's his thumb?  You don't point to the statute book with your thumb!

Incidentally, if we're going to be 3D scanning/ printing parishioners to populate CA.... yes I'd be up for that.... 

There was a Hornby-Dublo ad with a dad and son playing trains.  The dad had a pipe clenched between his teeth whilst gesticulating at the trains with a hand bearing five fingers (the thumb is "hidden").

post-21933-0-84090200-1535277315_thumb.jpg

I feel there must have been a connection between his tobacco habit and his extra digit... 

Either that or Hornby were pioneers in affirmative action!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

I'll start the bidding at a couple of weeks minimum, more if they have to make up replacement sashes. We had a similar problem as our listed house needed some sashes replaced – started off with a real ding-###### at the council between the Conservation people, who insisted on like-for-like replacement, and the Building Regs department who insisted on clunky double glazed units. Fortunately the Conservationists won. It's a bit draughty in winter but nothing that thick curtains and a roaring fire can't handle.

Slightly bemused to find the word D O N G has upset the 'censor'. Could be bad news for Edward Lear fans, not to mention Danish Oil and Natural Gas who are building an off-shore windfarm on my doorstep-ish...

Slightly bemused to find the word D O N G has upset the 'censor'. Could be bad news for Edward Lear fans, not to mention Danish Oil and Natural Gas who are building an off-shore windfarm on my doorstep-ish...

They've rebranded to call themselves Orsted. Still nothing compares to the genius naming of the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne!

i had a similar prob' with the word O R G Y instead i had to write wife swapping on the pic' i posted! :no:

They've rebranded to call themselves Orsted. Still nothing compares to the genius naming of the City University of Newcastle upon Tyne!

The Swansea Harbour Improvement Trust nearly came a cropper too, but they dropped the "Improvemnet" just in time.

• Like 1

Like! But evidence please?

Central Lancashire New Town did actually exist until all NTs were disbanded (usually written with squared off lettering)

Dh

Like! But evidence please?

Central Lancashire New Town did actually exist until all NTs were disbanded (usually written with squared off lettering)

Dh

I'm quite sure its an urban myth but it's still funny. There's a similar myth as to whether when automatic screening of emails for obscenities were introduced that people from Scunthorpe had a lot of problems.

Shows how much attention I was paying, I spent a few minutes wondering why they thought Ofsted was a good idea.......

• Like 2

Isn't the , or D o n g also the Vietnamese currency?

Yep!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_%C4%91%E1%BB%93ng

Ruddy nannybots!!!

Edited by Hroth