• RMweb Premium

It is claimed that Durham City is the most difficult place for visitors to draw a perceptual map of.

Too right. I struggle to throw off the misconception that the peninsula points north. Not helped by the Belmont Park & Ride at the intersection of the A1(M) and the A690 towards Sunderland has been the point of entry to the city on my most recent visits - coming from the south, I'm convinced I must still be approaching the city from the south, therefore the main campus and the Hill colleges must be to the north...

Fortunately my son is reading Geography - as previously mentioned - so should not suffer from my confusion.

It doesn't help that it's been overcast both times...

I always thought that the pertinent phrase was “human geography”. I gave no idea what “psychogeography” is.

Have you tried googling about it?

I admit I didn't before posting #13239 - but your post has prompted me to. Try this  though I have a hunch you'll be pre-disposd to disliking it.

The first para I think defines it well

Psychogeography, as the term suggests, is the intersection of psychology and geography. It focuses on our psychological experiences of the city, and reveals or illuminates forgotten, discarded, or marginalised aspects of the urban environment.

but the later paras of that link are sure to switch off anyone claiming to be a blunt engineer.

I remember having to shunt around on an intro.to Newcastle's central area a whole motley crowd of 40- 50 post grads from different trades, countries and ethnicities embarking on a semester's elective to undertake an urban design project.  

Someone suggested subcontracting the morning to a 'Situationist' who turned up with a metro map of Lisbon which she dished out and a copy of the Rough Guide to Lisbon.

She arbitarily picked upon one of the newcomers to lead us to a station on the map. When they felt we were there another of the party had to read about the area from the Lisbon Rough Guide - the map was then passed on, ditto the RG and the whole swarm proceded to another 'station'.

The morning was astonishingly successful as an ice breaker; we completely 'de-constructed' Newcastle's street pattern with huge hilarity and chance encounters between my 'foreign' students and classic Geordie street characters.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried googling about it?

I admit I hadn’t.

I admit I didn't before posting #13239 - but your post has prompted me to. Try this  though I have a hunch you'll be pre-disposd to disliking it.

It was interesting. Not clear how much of it is evidence based, though.

The first para I think defines it well

Yep. Psychology not geography. Not even the psychology of geography, but the psychology of representational mapping in the mind.

Plenty of interesting opportunities to investigate that process and to map activity of the hippocampus, etc.

She arbitarily picked upon one of the newcomers to lead us to a station on the map. When they felt we were there another of the party had to read about the area from the Lisbon Rough Guide - the map was then passed on, ditto the RG and the whole swarm proceded to another 'station'.

Saw something similar on a German version of “Candid Camera” in 1981, although they were using an actual map of the city they were in. It just happened to be a map of the sewer network. Funniest bit was when they stopped a random passerby, who told them where they were and gave them directions to wherever they wanted to go. Turned out to be (by pure chance) the city’s chief sanitation engineer...
  • Like 6

Apart from being a fan of Iain Sinclair's writing, I can attest to the way one's personal 'geography' has problems adapting to change: I was born in south London and, though the family moved a lot (blame the Air Ministry – I do) my education was mostly in Sussex and later Wiltshire, so for me a trip to the seaside always meant heading south.

Nowadays, when the seaside is about half a mile due north, my mental compass has to work hard to maintain correct orientation!

• Like 2

I wonder how the denizens of Castle Aching feel? Their home reference is a fictitious fold in a map, that must be jolly confusing.

Safe from regulatory bodies and the Inland Revenue?

Though the Army doesn't seem to have a problem (must be all the map reading exercises they do) nor the railway, though thats just a question of following the track...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Tysely arent showing off theirs thats for sure

Milton Keynes Museum are showing off Wolverton (cosmetic replica) that used to stand outside MK Central Station till it needed a a coat of rust killer and a repaint.

post-27238-0-39936400-1539385469_thumb.jpg

Photograph taken on "Battle of Britain" day - 15th September 2018.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 9

Too right. I struggle to throw off the misconception that the peninsula points north. Not helped by the Belmont Park & Ride at the intersection of the A1(M) and the A690 towards Sunderland has been the point of entry to the city on my most recent visits - coming from the south, I'm convinced I must still be approaching the city from the south, therefore the main campus and the Hill colleges must be to the north...

Fortunately my son is reading Geography - as previously mentioned - so should not suffer from my confusion.

It doesn't help that it's been overcast both times...

You are not alone in your confusion - here is an interesting set of mental maps collected by Durham geographers in the mid 1970s - sorry the detail labelling is illegible at this size [Images of the Urban Environment; Pocock & Hudson; Macmillan 1978]

post-21705-0-40520400-1539393964_thumb.jpg

A frequent visitor to Durham, I still get surprised by the river Wear apparently flowing the wrong way from east to west around the peninsular.

Interesting on the 1898 6" National Library of Scotland map are the three railway stations:

• Elvet (1892) to the SE was a continuation on from the first  'Durham' station, actually at Shincliffe 2 miles south, terminus of the Durham and Sunderland Railway of 1838
  • Gilesgate (Goods) at the NE was the second station in 1844 a short branch terminating at a single platform in an elegant neo classical train shed (still existing as a conversion) from the former ECML Leamside line. This crossed the Wear gorge on the Victoria viaduct (1838) at Penshaw; a spectacular 2mm scale model of this in its landscape setting is on the exhibition circuit.
  • The present mainline station dates from 1857 when the ECML lline was completed directly south from Robert Stephenson's High Level Tyne bridge up the Team valley and over viaducts at Chester-le-Steet and Durham to rejoin the older line at Ferryhill.
Edited by runs as required

Try this  though I have a hunch you'll be pre-disposd to disliking it.

"Walking as an act of insurgency"

“a means of dissolving the mechanised matrix which compresses the space-time continuum”.

:scratchhead:

Edited by TT-Pete

I know we've had this before, but Pidley is the home of a mountain rescue team!

Perception of height is different in the Fens where every bump is a hill.

Mind you, there are weird places like Holme Fen, which lies some 9' below sea level and where peat shrinkage resulting from drainage exposed posts once wholly beneath the surface.  Now wooded, the secretive paths of Holme Fen are the haunt of courting couples eager to join the prestigious Nine Feet Below Club.

Cambridgeshire Molehill Rescue!

• Like 1

Re: Durham city.

It can be quite interesting at times. I once encountered, on New Elvet, a confused and irate man who couldn't find his car. He had parked it, he said, by the river. Now he had found, so he thought, the river, but couldn't find his car. I tried to explain the incised meander to him (although not using that precise term obviously) but he couldn't get straight lines out his thinking. He seemed to think it was all my fault!

I have a party game, which I haven't used for some years. It is played in couples. One person is given a drawing board (can be improvised from old boxes etc), with paper attached. This person, who is best safely seated, is then blindfolded. The other half oh the couple is given marker pens etc, which they can place into the hands of the blindfolded one, but cannot otherwise physically guide them.

Using verbal directions only, the couple must then draw a map of Durham showing :-

The river.

The (existing main line) railway and railway station.

Castle

Cathedral

The Prison

The A167.

The winners were those who produced the most accurate (or least inaccurate) map.

Some of the results could be quite amusing.

The three railway stations did not all exist as passenger stations at the same time. The Gilesgate buildings have served several functions. I have fond memories of when they housed a builder's merchants - but that is another story!

There is (or is to be again - when I get it rebuilt) a fictional fourth Durham station. And having said that, I'd better stop tapping away on this tablet and get back to railway building.

Edited by drmditch

You are not alone in your confusion - here is an interesting set of mental maps collected by Durham geographers in the mid 1970s - sorry the detail labelling is illegible at this size [Images of the Urban Environment; Pocock & Hudson; Macmillan 1978]

attachicon.gifdurham maps.jpg

A frequent visitor to Durham, I still get surprised by the river Wear apparently flowing the wrong way from east to west around the peninsular.

Interesting on the 1898 6" National Library of Scotland map are the three railway stations:

• Elvet (1892) to the SE was a continuation on from the first  'Durham' station, actually at Shincliffe 2 miles south, terminus of the Durham and Sunderland Railway of 1838
  • Gilesgate (Goods) at the NE was the second station in 1844 a short branch terminating at a single platform in an elegant neo classical train shed (still existing as a conversion) from the former ECML Leamside line. This crossed the Wear gorge on the Victoria viaduct (1838) at Penshaw; a spectacular 2mm scale model of this in its landscape setting is on the exhibition circuit.
  • The present mainline station dates from 1857 when the ECML lline was completed directly south from Robert Stephenson's High Level Tyne bridge up the Team valley and over viaducts at Chester-le-Steet and Durham to rejoin the older line at Ferryhill.

Actually, the present North Road station was built for the Leamside/Durham/Bishop Auckland line, opened I think in 1857.

It wasn't on the ECML until 1872 when both the Team Valley/Newton Hall (1868)and Tursdale /Relly Mill lines (1872) were opened. The railway geography of this area is almost as complex as the geomorphological one. I blame all those glaciers. Probably sponsored by the EU !

(Edited after checking in Tomlinson/K Hoole.)

Edited by drmditch

• RMweb Premium

This put me in mind of several CA themes - Riddle of the Sands for one.

If there has been a discussion on West Norfolk sports clubs, I've missed it - we may have touched on the hunt (re. horsebox traffic) - is Lord Erstwhile MFH? 

I expect Aching Constable, as home to the WNR's works, has an Association Football club? There could well be some denominational sides too, like the one in the article. What was the Methodist attitude to team sports at this era?

On religious attitudes to sport, I recently discovered the House of David cult started in Benton Harbor, Michigan, in March 1903. As well has having multiple top class barnstorming baseball teams, they also ran an amusement park and built their own miniature railway locos

post-6836-0-43716000-1539434277.jpeg

• Like 2

Hope all is well in the Land of the Prince Bishops, we're getting worried that someone folded the map the wrong way and CA has vanished into the depths....

Ok folks, has anyone anything with ferns suitable to post?

Norfolk sporting related news item https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-45827110

And, I’ve never really considered joining a religious cult/sect before ........

Oh ...... it’s the same news story .... sorry!

Its actually a German Spy checking the prevailing currents in case something goes wrong with their Great Enterprise...

Next thing, we'll have Russians with Snow On Their Boots!

• Like 1

Sorry, chaps.  I have been playing post-'flu catch-up at work, stressing about finances; the usual.

Thanks for checking up on me. Moral support is ever welcome; like inflatable armbands in a sea of troubles.

During the enforced absence from the work bench, recent developments in the 'back-story' have caused unbidden thoughts of the novelisation of the fictitious history of the second battalion of the West Norfolk Regiment.  Trouble is, I can't write fiction for toffee, and, if I could, it would come out like a cross between Bernard Cornwall and P G Wodehouse!

What ho, Sharpe!

Amazin' what runs round the old noggin when you're feverish!

post-25673-0-92114200-1539634289.jpg

• Like 5

During the enforced absence from the work bench, recent developments in the 'back-story' have caused unbidden thoughts of the novelisation of the fictitious history of the second battalion of the West Norfolk Regiment.  Trouble is, I can't write fiction for toffee, and, if I could, it would come out like a cross between Bernard Cornwall and P G Wodehouse!

What ho, Sharpe!

Amazin' what runs round the old noggin when you're feverish!

Odder things have been published.

You may (or may not) appreciate the adventures of Space Captain Smith

http://spacecaptainsmith.com/

I won't go into details.....

Oh yes!  It might be an indictment of my taste and sense of humour, but I found them hilarious.  Written by a barrister, to boot.  

Ruddy 'eck!

You sound as warped as I am.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138205-the-attack-of-the-60ft-spider-from-mars/

(I believe a good proportion of barristers have far too much time on their hands)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1