Regularity

I dare say we all have passionate feelings about the rights/wrongs of Brexit, and the follies and vanities of multiple politicians, I know I have, but, really, Castle Aching isn't the place to air them.

Kevin

PS: having read back, it looks as if you weren’t the initiator!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the repeal of the Corn Laws was a good thing.........  Sorry, no that was the Victorian era,  - Um........ my teachers always said I was stink at history when I was in school.......

Oooooo look, - a nice Sacre 4-4-0.

w9UTSq9.jpg

• Like 8

I think the repeal of the Corn Laws was a good thing.........  Sorry, no that was the Victorian era,  - Um........ my teachers always said I was stink at history when I was in school.......

Oooooo look, - a nice Sacre 4-4-0.

w9UTSq9.jpg

The Corn Laws? THE CORN LAWS?! (descends into incoherent fury, posts a series of unfunny political memes, everyone gets bored, curtain)

• Like 1

Wasn't that the 1970's?

Thought constant intoxication was more 60s.

The Corn Laws? THE CORN LAWS?! (descends into incoherent fury, posts a series of unfunny political memes, everyone gets bored, curtain)

I have no idea what you're talking about. Edited by RedGemAlchemist

I don't remember the 1990s.  I think I may have been drunk at the time. 

"Coming up next on BBC 1: 'I missed the 1990s' " (cue a lot of 'celebrities' saying "What was...."  "I don't remember that...." "Well, I was incredibly drunk at the time.")  I keep having to remind myself it's 2018, left to my own devices I usually come up with the idea it's around 2008/ early 2010s.  I finished my undergrad in 2008 but it only seems 5 minutes ago. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having got that off my chest, let’s move back to the frivolous world of Castle Aching.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassssssse..........Mike

• Like 1

Jim  (who voted to leave to free us from having rules and regulations made by un-elected apparatchiks.  I have no problem with anyone, no matter what their ethnicity, faith, gender or sexuality.  We are all created equal.)

Sorry to disillusion you Jim but rules and regulations are always made by unelected apparatchiks: they're called Civil Servants. Life without R&Rs would be hazardous in the extreme.

Sorry, I've been away for a few hours, wrestling with Customs forms for a shipment to Zürich...

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I've been away for a few hours, wrestling with Customs forms for a shipment to Zürich...

Those darned apparatchiks again!

Regularity

I dare say we all have passionate feelings about the rights/wrongs of Brexit,

It wasn’t so much the decision as the inane way it came about that exercises me.

A once in a lifetime chance for real debate, and we ended up with no debate at all.

PS: having read back, it looks as if you weren’t the initiator!

Thank you for that.

Back to trains...

...oh, that would be some other thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An interesting point was made among the political mutterings (with which I have sympathy but don't want to discuss here) that we are, by choosing the Edwardian period, also choosing a particular social system within which to set our railway. This is unavoidable. It is exactly the same if you choose the BR blue period, the 1830s or the present. And to a certain extent that is bound to show in an accurate model.

We mentioned workhouses. They existed in 1905 and we should be aware of the fact, but only insofar as it affects our layout. We may decide to model a workhouse, and indeed its occupants. Or if we are modelling the BR blue period we need to include television aerials on the houses. But we are not condoning, approving or disapproving what existed. We are just acknowledging its existence. There is currently a strong trend to try to rewrite the past to suit preconceptions and likes. We should avoid that as much in our modelling as in our lives. To do so in our modelling is as much a political statement as if we wrote a pamphlet.

Also there is a saying that history is written by the winners. This was originally referring to battles but it applies to all of history. I was brought up in Cardiff so was taught Welsh history from the English point of view because that is what was in the "English" text books, but always it was made clear that that was not how it was seen in Wales. And the more I read history the more I see this.

So what has this got to do with CA? Well, it is my view that we need to be aware of this kind of bias when we look at every kind of historical event including railway history, and especially the railway history relevant to our layouts.

So the above "political" discussion has not been without its benefit, even though i have no wish to prolong it.

But let's get back to little locos, card buildings and rural life.

Jonathan

• Like 3

... even though I still think anyone who models BR's blue era is somehow mentally deficient....

Its not fair to consider a person who dotes on grimy blue Peaks or decaying EE Type 4s as ... lacking ...

Blue diesels HAVE to be modelled, and with tact and sympathy.  The era represents the last moments of the traditional railway environment we love, even thought the (expletive deleted) politicians of the time couldn't give a damn about railways at all and allowed the nations transport infrastructure (that didn't run on rubber tyres) to rot into the ground.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I hope we can agree that discussion of Edwardian politics is reasonable on this thread, insofar as it is part and parcel of the context in which CA c. 1905 is supposed to exist. It's probably a good thing, though, that most of the really interesting politics starts the following year. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the then Prime Minister

post-29416-0-21634000-1539112755.jpg

is that he was Foreign Secretary over a decade after he was Prime Minister. Long gone are the days when our politicians had life after No. 10. 

He was also the nephew of the preceding Prime Minister. That's not been repeated recently, either.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

I hope we can agree that discussion of Edwardian politics is reasonable on this thread, insofar as it is part and parcel of the context in which CA c. 1905 is supposed to exist. It's probably a good thing, though, that most of the really interesting politics starts the following year. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the then Prime Minister

attachicon.gifA.J. Balfour.jpg

is that he was Foreign Secretary over a decade after he was Prime Minister. Long gone are the days when our politicians had life after No. 10. 

Well!! I do declare!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This sign always puzzled me. I calculated that, as the named places were churches or similar buildings, it was because someone was trying to be religiously 'inclusive'. 

attachicon.gifOther locations Bromley 8 7 06.jpg

On the subject of inclusivity, I recently took Channel 4 to task over their big metal figure (called by them their 'ident') walking ashore and landing a large group of people onto a white cliff top, where they then turn and, standing on the edge, wave out to sea. The past year has seen all the local authorities in our area of the Sussex coast back up the RNLI and Coastguard campaign to warn of the serious danger of rock falls from the chalk cliffs, begging people not to go near the edge. There has been at least one death from selfie-taking, quite apart from the huge toll of suicides, and there have been numerous rock falls at all times of the year, not just in rough weather. Channel 4 response was that their ident was delivering a very inclusive group of people to the location. My comment was that the length of time the ident was on the screen, in slots between programmes and adverts., would be too short for viewers to notice who was in the group, but that the image of them standing on the cliff waving would be far more likely to stick in the memory.

Mind you the BBC was as bad with their use of the white cliffs for their 2012 Olympics publicity, where they had Olympic and then Paralympic heroes standing on the cliff top waving.

Further to the above whinge, about organisations that should know better than to encourage people to stand on the edge of eroding chalk cliffs, shortly after posting that, I  passed the window of a local undertakers, who seem to have a droll sense of humour. After all the local warnings about the potential fatal consequences of this activity, they displayed this reproduction of an old Southern Railway poster. Could it be they want to offer their services to the bereaved?

post-14351-0-81344000-1539113996_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

1905 was a very political year in a broader sense.

Is there any likelihood that the workers of the WNR will join with their international brethren in making their feelings known in unambiguous ways? somehow, I can't imagine so.

True. The CA "manual" needs an essay on the impact of the Russo-Japanese War and the Revolution of 1905 on the political consciousness of the lavender-pickers of West Norfolk. 

Not so sure about lavender pickers, but the mustard trade had some politically aware workers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Holmes_(trade_unionist)I particularly like the fact that he was particularly active in the cycling section of the ILP.

This is highly instructive https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Union_of_Agricultural_and_Allied_Workers too.

And this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edwards_(British_politician) another cyclist!

It all suggests to me that there were a lot of quite discontented farm workers in and around CA in 1905.

Edited by Nearholmer

True. The CA "manual" needs an essay on the impact of the Russo-Japanese War and the Revolution of 1905 on the political consciousness of the lavender-pickers of West Norfolk. 

Perhaps they didn't give a coprolite...

Not so sure about lavender pickers, but the mustard trade had some politically aware workers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Holmes_(trade_unionist)I particularly like the fact that he was particularly active in the cycling section of the ILP.

This is highly instructive https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Union_of_Agricultural_and_Allied_Workers too.

And this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edwards_(British_politician) another cyclist!

It all suggests to me that there were a lot of quite discontented farm workers in and around CA in 1905.

What was the state of agriculture in the years leading up to the Great War?  Was it as badly depressed as it was in the mid-30s?

It may be that the workers were discontented, but that they went out for a "mere" extra shilling a week suggests that the farmers might have been struggling to pay wages as it was.

Of course, the farmers may have been coining it and come the Revolution would have joined those Shakesperian* lawyers up against the wall....

Lucky for them that the Great War came along, I suppose.

* To differentiate betweel between "lawyers" as a concept, and our genial host!

Edit: What the heck is a "betweel"? its not even as if "n" and "l" nestle next to each other on the keyboard!

Edited by Hroth